Birthday Jaunt (Semi-bead-related)

Old July 12th 03, 05:36 AM
bluemaxx

Cool. I plan on visiting Bisbee this fall... maybe I should email
her for tips.
--
Linda

"BeckiBead" wrote in message
: You can go visit Kate Drew-Wilkensen. She lives in Brisbee.
:
:
: Becki
: "In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the
crumbling
: difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows
:

Old July 12th 03, 07:04 PM
Dr. Sooz

Mary, do you have any recommendations for the town of Bisbee, AZ?
I've read it has a really nice artist's community.

Try this resource when you're looking for bead stores----
http://www.guidetobeadwork.com/localstores/

Arizona!
http://www.guidetobeadwork.com/local...es/AZ.str.html
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 13th 03, 12:18 AM
Karen_AZ

Mike and the kids and I went to Bisbee last spring. It's a very interesting
town! No particular bead shops but a bunch of fun galleries with all sorts
of goodies. The trolley tour of the town is interesting too. It's more of a
WAS a mining town these days, unfortunately, because the price of copper has
been driven down by competition from South America. Phelps-Dodge still owns
most of the town, in hopes of someday reviving it. The whole area is
beautiful in a wild way. And Tombstone is just an hour or so away.

Another way cool former mining town (turned tourist haven and very fun) is
Jerome. That's north of Prescott and southwest of Sedona (love Sedona!).
It's perched rather precariously on the slopes of Mingus Mtn. and features
windy narrow streets that put San Francisco to shame. Bunches of cool
galleries including a bead shop or two.

Phoenix also has some good bead shops, and there are some great gem &
mineral shows coming up this fall. If you have specific dates, I can find
out if they match up.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old July 13th 03, 05:54 PM
Dr. Sooz

and features
windy narrow streets that put San Francisco to shame.

Of course, I hear San Francisco has no shame....... ;-)
~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 13th 03, 07:08 PM
Dr. Sooz

Of course, I hear San Francisco has no shame....... ;-)

ROFL!!!! THAT explains why I love it so much!!!!! I'd live there, in a
heartbeat, if it weren't for the earthquakes!

We only have one earthquake every 90 years of any consequence.
~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 13th 03, 08:54 PM
Dr. Sooz

Where I even notice it's shakin'. :-)

]We only have one earthquake every 90 years of any consequence.

define consequence?

~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 13th 03, 10:52 PM
Barbara Otterson

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:11:50 -0400, Kathy N-V
wrote:
Obligatory bead reference: Although I'm not an orange kind of person, there
are few things I think are more beautiful, from a color point of view, than
Volcanoes. The rich blacks with the ribbons of flaming yellows and oranges
running through it, with just hints of red aroud the edges - gorgeous. Hmm,
I need to look through my beads and make something volcano inspired. Anyone
else feeling inspired?

Having recently returned from Costa Rica, where I watched
lava flow down the side of the Arenal volcano at night, I have
to agree. A very rich color. I see a cone-shaped bead with
red dichro on the top, black base. Use a pendant.......
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter

Old July 14th 03, 12:16 AM
Kandice Seeber

Big earthquakes are scary, but volcanoes are worse, for me. I watched
Mt.St. Helens blow her top when I was a kid, and we were all far enough away
to escape of course, but the ash that rained down made people sick. We had
to wear masks for awhile to avoid it. People say that the Pacific NW is one
of the most geologically dangerous places to live in the states - they keep
telling us we're going to have a huge earthquake here soon, but the
buildings are totally not up to code. And we're surrounded by volcanoes.
We're pretty much screwed when it all happens. It will be like a chain
reaction. Kabloooie! This is all according to my friend Tara who is a
geologist. She loves living here because it's so fun to study. We shake a
little all the time here in the Pacific NW - just not enough to feel much
but a little rolling once every few years.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:08:54 -0400, Dr. Sooz wrote
(in message ):

Of course, I hear San Francisco has no shame....... ;-)

ROFL!!!! THAT explains why I love it so much!!!!! I'd live there, in a
heartbeat, if it weren't for the earthquakes!

We only have one earthquake every 90 years of any consequence.

And the last one was, oh, 97 years ago, no? That would scare me, if San
Francisco didn't have the most stringent building codes (for earthquakes)

in
the world. When the "Big One" comes again, there will be damage, but

nothing
compared to the catastrophe we'd see if say New York had such an

earthquake.

On my first trip to SF, I didin't even know that those constant little
rumblings were earthquakes. I thought it was that the building was near a
busy highway, until someone told me. Then I noticed them everywhere and

all
the time, and it had me pretty squicked out. Of course, common sense told

me
that all the little slippages in the plates make a large adjustment that

much
further off.

Still, I was much happier when I got home, where natural catastrophes

seems
much easier to control. We get blizzards and hurricanes, about one per
decade. Some minor preparation, and the ritual of getting things out of

the
yard (for the dozen or so hurricane warnings) is about it. In my

lifetime,
we've had two or three major blizards (but only one that was of serious
consequence, because it coincided with lunar high tides and caused massive
damage to coastal homes) and four or five minor hurricanes.

BTW, if you have a science/math minded teen who is looking for some career
direction, there are a lot worse things to be than a seismologist. The

field
isn't exactly overflowing, and volcanoes and earthquakes just happen to

occur
in very cool parts of the world. A friend works for the USGS and has

spent
much time being jetted to Hawaii, Japan and Asia to study seismic events.
Not too shabby.

Kathy N-V

Old July 14th 03, 12:21 AM
Christina Peterson

Earthquakes are even more common in Alaska than Calif. Usually when there's
an earthquake I wonder if the furnace kicked in, or a moose is brushing
against the house. But even when it goes on long enough to know for sure,
it seldom does much damage. My house is made of interlocking logs and
accomodates shifting. Similarly, building codes in Calif take a little
shaking into account. Between that and choosing stable ground to put your
building on, it's not really a problem. (Even in the BAD quakes things
built on stable ground, do fine; though the houses built on silt fare
poorly).

Tina

Old July 14th 03, 02:00 AM
Kandice Seeber

LOL - take a look at this map.
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/...ade_range.html
And then, this one
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/wgmt/pacnw/graphic/a2.gif
Then, this page about fault lines and such
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/wgmt/pacnw/rescasp1.html

Yeesh! But I LOVE it here.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"vj" wrote in message
news
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Kandice Seeber"
:

]People say that the Pacific NW is one
]of the most geologically dangerous places to live in the states - they

keep
]telling us we're going to have a huge earthquake here soon, but the
]buildings are totally not up to code. And we're surrounded by volcanoes.
]We're pretty much screwed when it all happens. It will be like a chain
]reaction. Kabloooie!

Kandice - when DH moved out here from Georgia, he was worried about
earthquakes. so i showed him on the map that there weren't any major
fault lines around here. we'd been here a few months when i realized
i had plopped us down right smack between two volcanos. Mt. Shasta
and Mt. Lassen. plus, there's that one forming down at Mono Lake.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
Regime Change in 2004 - The life you save may be your own.

Xmas ornament pattern Laurie Beads 1 July 6th 03 04:21 PM
AD-July 26-27, 2003 Atlanta, GA Dixie Classic Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 July 2nd 03 09:06 PM
AD-July 19-20, 2003 Tallahassee, FL Gulf States Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 July 2nd 03 09:01 PM
AD-July 12-13, 2003 Orlando, FL Florida Summer Classic Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 July 2nd 03 08:54 PM