Birthday Jaunt (Semi-bead-related)

Old July 8th 03, 03:46 PM
mkahogan

Default Birthday Jaunt (Semi-bead-related)

I want to go! Thanks for sharing. You described it so well, I felt like I
was there.
KathyH
"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
Hi everyone! I just had to share my weekend adventure, since it was

somewhat
bead-related. G My birthday was yesterday (just ignore that, please) and
my kids flew east Friday to spend 2 weeks with their Dad, so Mike and I

took
off Saturday for a short road trip north.

First we headed to Prescott for their Pioneer Days craft show.

Unfortunately
traffic was insane and it was really hot there, so we cowered in the Jeep
and came up with an alternate plan. Our next intended stop was in Sedona

for
a visit to a complex of galleries that Mike knew about but was new to me.

We
checked the map and found an interesting shortcut over an "unpaved" road.
Oooooh yeah! Now you need to understand that years ago my folks had a

cabin
in a PA state forest area with tons of dirt fire roads and access to the
Appalachian Trail. Over the years they had that place I managed to hit

every
mile of road at least twice, frequently more...and that was in my darling
old Buick, not a 4WD. Needless to say, Mike pointed out this road and I

was
off like a shot. G

It was a gorgeous road! As soon as I get my digicam I'm heading back there
to shoot pix. It winds through rolling hills and small canyons (some with
recent fire damage) then through a tiny town called Cherry, then winds

over
the mountains that lead into the Verde Valley. We found a pullout with a
short steep trail that led to a lookout for the entire valley. Absolutely
breathtaking! And the wind was so strong it whooshed through the scrubby
pines, mesquite and manzanita growing up there. In the northern distance

you
could see the shimmering red rocks of Sedona. Incredible! The road was

only
18 miles long but took us almost an hour to cross...very slow going with
lots of outside turns that were seriously lacking in guardrails, and those
kinds of drops that make you go "oooooooh" and then get goosebumps.

We rambled through Cottonwood along another back road that gave us
tantalizing glimpses of Red Rock Country. The sheer walls came closer and
closer, until they towered over us. The variations in color are amazing.
Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon are, to me, twice as beautiful as the Grand
Canyon. It's smaller, more intimate and more imposing in a way. And oh the
colors! Mike directed me to his objective, a group of Spanish-style
buildings with several shops called Tlaquepaque. We had lunch at a
microbrewery (mesquite chicken to die for!) then started drooling our way
through the shops. Lovely jewelry, glass, photography, paintings and
sculpture. Our favorite was a store that sells large bronze sculptures,
primarily southwestern themed. They had many pieces that were still clay
"works in progress" that were being pre-sold. I liked that idea a bunch.

The
artists are using wonderful patinas and enamels and other "extras" to

really
bring the pieces to life. One that stands out was an eagle captured at

just
the moment when he's caught a fish and is ascending from the water. Wow!

Mike nudged me several times about taking my jewelry up to some of the

shops
("you belong here too"). That was such a treat to hear!

We continued on to Flagstaff. Since it was a sort of spur of the moment

trip
we'd made no reservations. (Channeling my dad on that one.) We tried all

the
usual places and everyone was either booked or only had smoking rooms
available (yuck). Soooo I said over the tracks! Got some weird looks from

my
sweetie but he didn't argue. We went to the older part of town, which is
Historic Route 66, and found an older "motor inn" that looked like it was
trapped in the "get your kicks on Route 66" age. It had "character". LOL

pointed out that you rarely got to sleep in a genuine piece of history

that
was clean, dimly lit and bug-free for a mere $32. Mike said he was

surprised
at how willing I was to "downgrade". Hehe I guess he has a few things to
learn about me still. I laughed at us the next morning....we'd gotten a
bottle of wine, some tasty cheeses, smoked salmon and crackers and nibbled
while we watched a movie on TV. There we were, no kids, in a cheap motel

on
Route 66, and we fell asleep on each other's shoulders with the movie

still
on. Talk about getting old! I slept like a baby despite the freight trains
whistling along all night. It was kinda comforting (I used to live near a
freight yard).

Okay, here comes the bead-related part. (Still with me?) We headed over to
the Flagstaff Gem & Mineral show after a way-too-much breakfast at the
Whistle Stop Diner (that got a few remarks from Mr. Grumpy LOL). It was a
really nice, smallish show in a hotel ballroom. Some gorgeous ready-made
jewelry with lots of stones. My favorite was some Mt. St. Helen's
"emeralds"....rich green, very clear obsidian. Beeeeautiful! I decided to
go native and concentrated on stones from AZ. Got a few malachite cabs, a
matched pair of petrified wood teardrops, and some pretty jaspers and
turquoises. We had a lot of fun talking to the vendors and found out about

lot of other future shows. Rock people are so friendly! I also got some

nice
bead strands in unakite, citrine, turquoise and mixed jaspers. Time to

make
more organic beads.

After a few hours of sighing, we moved on to the Museum of Northern

Arizona.
They were having a special exhibit and craft show by Hopi Indians. They

had
demonstrators doing ceramics, basketry, silver work, weaving and kachina
carving. I had a great chat with two of the silversmiths. It's really
interesting that they are using traditional designs but taking them in

very
new directions. The museum is also beautiful, well designed and full of
treasures.

On the way home I think I got the nicest present of all. Mike told me how
much fun I am to travel with! G We both like having adventures and just
going with the flow. Next weekend we're planning to head to Santa Fe.

Can't
wait to see what happens!

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old July 9th 03, 12:40 AM
Christina Peterson

Karen, this trip sounds so delightful. I'm envisioning the road between
Flagstaff and Sedon, but private, and maybe a little hotter.

What was the road? Maybe my daughter, Susie, in Flagstaff can do that trip
with me.

A couple years ago I flew to Phoenix to join Pete, then drove toward
Flagstaff. We stopped in a little town called Black Canyon (I think), and
stayed in a hotel just like you're describing. In the morning we walked
next door for an egg breakfast for $.99.

What a great trip you had.

Tina

Old July 9th 03, 03:39 AM
BeckiBead

Karen -- it just makes my heart soar to hear you be so happy. I am happy for
you. Enjoy your life.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Old July 9th 03, 04:26 PM
Cheryl

Color me jealous --
sounds lovely
though I remember my father scaring the daylights out of mother and me once
when we lived in Phoenix.
We were car shopping - and dad wanted to drive some 4 wheel type vehicle (he
hunted at the time), mom was not thrilled about the vehicle but allowed the
test drive.
The guy took us out in the country - and let dad drive... we were on one of
those roads like you mentioned - switchback, cliff - no rails and leaning -
mom was screaming.

needless to say - we didn't get that vehicle! LOL
Beautifu country where you were...
color me green with envy - I remember if fondly from childhood.....

even though I'm allergic to the state... LOL

mom
Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old July 9th 03, 10:56 PM
Dr. Sooz

Delightful!
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 11th 03, 05:48 PM
Mary Shafer

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 06:34:14 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

Mike directed me to his objective, a group of Spanish-style
buildings with several shops called Tlaquepaque. We had lunch at a
microbrewery (mesquite chicken to die for!) then started drooling our way
through the shops. Lovely jewelry, glass, photography, paintings and
sculpture.

You should have gone into Cocopah. I get beautiful beads and pendants
and findings from her. Incredible stuff--unusual, unique, eclectic.
I want to go to Sedona so bad, just to go to her shop. For some
reason, Ken isn't nearly as eager to make this trip.

Mary

"Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN
Old July 11th 03, 09:25 PM
Christina Peterson

Cocopah is in Sedona? I'll have to check it out next time I visit my
daughter in Flagstaff. Thanks.

Tina

Old July 11th 03, 11:03 PM
bluemaxx

Mary, do you have any recommendations for the town of Bisbee, AZ?
I've read it has a really nice artist's community.
--
Linda

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
: On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 06:34:14 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
: wrote:
:
:
: Mike directed me to his objective, a group of Spanish-style
: buildings with several shops called Tlaquepaque. We had lunch at
: microbrewery (mesquite chicken to die for!) then started
drooling our way
: through the shops. Lovely jewelry, glass, photography, paintings
and
: sculpture.
:
: You should have gone into Cocopah. I get beautiful beads and
pendants
: and findings from her. Incredible stuff--unusual, unique,
eclectic.
: I want to go to Sedona so bad, just to go to her shop. For some
: reason, Ken isn't nearly as eager to make this trip.
:
: Mary
:
: --
: Mary Shafer Retired aerospace research engineer
:
: "Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN

Old July 12th 03, 02:49 AM
Mary Shafer

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:03:22 GMT, "bluemaxx"
wrote:

Mary, do you have any recommendations for the town of Bisbee, AZ?
I've read it has a really nice artist's community.

No, just Sedona and Tucson. Have you looked in the ads and listings
in Bead & Button and Beadwork? That's how I find shops to visit.
I've got a bead shop directory down in Palm Desert; I'll check it next
week when I'm down there, too.

I thought Bisbee was a mining town--copper, I thought--and not likely
to be able to support anything like a bead shop. Goes to show how far
behind the times I am about Arizona.

Old July 12th 03, 04:38 AM
BeckiBead

You can go visit Kate Drew-Wilkensen. She lives in Brisbee.

Xmas ornament pattern Laurie Beads 1 July 6th 03 04:21 PM
AD-July 26-27, 2003 Atlanta, GA Dixie Classic Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 July 2nd 03 09:06 PM
AD-July 19-20, 2003 Tallahassee, FL Gulf States Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 July 2nd 03 09:01 PM
AD-July 12-13, 2003 Orlando, FL Florida Summer Classic Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 July 2nd 03 08:54 PM