What is a Yemenite Ruby?

Old December 1st 03, 02:42 AM
Freethought110

Default What is a Yemenite Ruby?

Hi

I'd like to find out what specifically a red Yemenite ruby is. I'm
trying to locate the stone in order to have a ring talisman made a
Xmas present for someone. Someone told me they think that it's also
called a Yasimite but I haven't been able to independently verify the
information. Unlike other rubies which would probably break if
engraved, this one should be engravable.

Any information on what exactly this species of ruby is, how much it
costs per weight and what other names it goes by would be most
appreciated.

Please email me at if you know. Thank you.
Old December 1st 03, 02:58 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:42:59 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry
(Freethought110) wrote:

Hi

I'd like to find out what specifically a red Yemenite ruby is.

This is not a trade name I've heard of for any variety of real ruby. The name
suggests a ruby from the country of Yemen, but I've not seen references to ruby
coming from there, though it is found in some areas of Africa, so I suppose it's
not impossible.

But my guess is that this is perhaps some marketing name for some flavor of fake
or simulant or synthetic (man made ruby) where the name is hoped to give the
probably cheap materials some extra marketing.

I'm
trying to locate the stone in order to have a ring talisman made a
Xmas present for someone. Someone told me they think that it's also
called a Yasimite but I haven't been able to independently verify the
information.

This second name is also not listed in any gemological reference I've got or
have seen (and I've a fairly good library of such). Again, it sounds like some
bright eyed markeing whiz kids idea of a catchy name under which he/she can sell
some otherwise ordinary fake crap. But who knows. I might be wrong...

Unlike other rubies which would probably break if
engraved, this one should be engravable.

Ruby, that is the gem that is properly called ruby is aluminum oxide which is
colored red by trace amounts of chromium oxide. In order to be properly called
ruby, it MUST fit this description. No exceptions. Now, that also describes
the true synthetic types of ruby, of which there are several, ranging from
extremely cheap (enough so it can be used for industrial bearings and parts) to
quite expensive, depending in part on how well it mimics the naturally occuring
crystals in all respects.

But the point is that all "species" of ruby, as you call them, are chemically
and physically the same. Species, in fact, isn't a good term for this, since it
would imply significant differences in some way, and there aren't any other than
in trace impurities, and in the types of inclusions of foreign minerals, etc,
that might be incorporated into the ruby crystal, or things like that. The
basic properties of the material are pretty much the same. If it can be
properly called some type of ruby, then it will be very hard (9 on the mohs
scale), and actually quite tough too (though it can be a little brittle in some
circumstances such as when it's being set, if the stone setter makes a mistake
or has a heavy hand.) Your suggestion that your desired version could be more
easily engraved is not likely correct, unless as I suspect, what you are looking
for is not in fact, ruby. Ruby is not easy to break, and there are only a few
gems that can be carved or engraved with less risk of breakage. It's hardness
does mean that engraving it is not something you do with ordinary steel tools.
It needs to be carved with abrasive means that are hard enough to cut it, which
generally means either silicon carbide abrasives, or more commonly, diamond
abrasives. It can be carved/engraved using hand carving methods with small
rotary grinding point, by unltrasonic "drills" which also carve with an
abrasive charged tool, or with "sand blasting", except using a hard abrasive
such as diamond powder or silicon carbide. These are also the same tools and
methods by which most other gem carving, including much softer stones, are also
carved or engraved.

Hope that helps.

Peter Rowe

Old December 10th 03, 03:47 PM
Kambizjoon1

hello,

one of the favorite stones among the middle easterns was the yemenies ruby. it
is referred to the deep, brownish red cornelian agate. this stone has been with
us for melliniums. throught history it has been called yemenies agate and
sometimes because of its intense reddish brown color, a yemenies ruby by
mistake.i have a feeling this may be the stone you are referring to.

you encounter this stone by its name in the persian literatures of 12th or 13th
century. they usually refer to the red lips of their lover when talking about
the yemenieis agate ( ruby). its best color is said to be the " liver red"
color. not the liver you see in safeway meat dept. :-)

it is a stone with good omen and it is the only stone that found its way into
the moslem religon. in middle east you will find many men wearing this stone in
silver mountings ( men are prohibited from wearing jewelry in gold). you will
find many engraved agates as well. personal seals usually bear the date and the
family crest. unlike most the european seals that have no date engraved.

anyway... i hope this helps.

ken.