Determining fair 14K jewelry pricing

Old November 25th 03, 03:33 AM
Bill

Default Determining fair 14K jewelry pricing

Hello all

I've enjoyed reading your informative group and I believe I can find
an answer to my question here.

I strive to be an overall educated consumer particularly concerning
high ticket items like 14K and/or diamond jewelry.

I am aware of widespread high markups in the retail jewelry industry.
I am also aware of pricing gold by the gram, that prices fluctuate
with the value of pure gold and keystone pricing.

I would like to know how the "smart" consumer can determine a fair
price of 14K jewelry. It does make sense to me that heavier pieces may
be priced less per gram and more intricate pieces may be priced more
per gram.However,is there a secret formula that jewelers use to price
their stuff? (Only one I know of is arriving at the price of 14K from
the daily quoted value of pure gold--but this doesn't seem to fit what
the price of 14K in the form of jewelry tends to be) or do they
operate exclusively by keystone?--I've read keystone tends to be a
300% markup in retail jewelry.

Knowing more about how 14K jewelery is priced will allow consumers to
quickly detect an overinflated price and will afford them more
leverage to negotiate a reasonable price.

I know if once I were to find some honest and reputable jewelers who
offer fair prices they would earn my business frequently.

Please provide any feedback you are willing to share about the pricing
of 14K jewelry. Thanks!
Old November 25th 03, 09:23 AM
Don Thompson

How much are you willing to allow the artist/craftsman for his
imagination/skill? The better the artist the more appealing to the esthetic
sense and the better the skill of the craftsman the less time it takes to
transfer from idea to finished piece and the better the "look" of the piece.
If it were that simple, i.e. a piece with 10 grams of Gold is worth 10 x
spot as finished jewelry, there would only be one store and one design to
chose from.

--

Don Thompson

Ex ROMAD

Old November 25th 03, 04:00 PM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Did you purchase your car based on the price of steel?

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

Bill wrote:
[...]

to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old November 26th 03, 02:46 AM
Bill

Right now I'm interesting only in "every day jewelry" For example, a
style of bracelet, same quality, similar weight sold at 5 different
stores at 5 diffrent prices.

I have purchased custom jewelry online directly from the artisan and
believe I paid a fair price, surely it would be sold for 3X the price
in a local shop.

When it comes to "everyday jewelry" however,wouldn't some negotiating
be reasonable?
Old November 26th 03, 02:46 AM
Bill

I got the best deal on my car in my area. I realize like anyone else
jewelers are out to make a profit, I have no problems with that. Let
me ask this way: If you were an average joe, how would you go about
getting the best prices on gold jewelry?

. ..

Old November 26th 03, 02:46 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 03:33:22 GMT, (Bill)
wrote:

Hello all

I've enjoyed reading your informative group and I believe I can find
an answer to my question here.

Google for the last time someone brought this idea to us.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old November 26th 03, 05:43 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The best VALUE (for the uneducated consumer)is often an established
store front jeweler. He has a reputation to protect, will give good
service after the sale, will listen to your concerns, make suggestions
and frequently can customize to some extent.(perhaps design and
fabricate total custom pieces) Next would probably be the stand alone
chains. Most mall stores would be near the bottom of the list. I'd bet
you understand that web sales runs the entire gamut. The discount chains
have, in my opinion, pieces which are too light for long wear. YMMV

The best PRICES would probably be from a pawnshop, auction of seized
property or individuals needing to unload quickly. This requires
subsatntial education on your part - the more so if you are buying
pieces with stones. Remember, there is little in a pawnshop that had
more then $20-$50 bucks loaned on it.

You could even learn the craft yourself. Start with Roseco, or a Tripps
catalog. Take a course at a local college, or find a Gem & Mineral club
that has classes.

Now, ask the group what to look for and avoid when shopping for jewelry.
They know more than you can imagine about that.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

Old November 27th 03, 02:26 AM
Bill

Google for the last time someone brought this idea to us.

Actually, I spent quite a bit of time on google researching before I
decided to post. Didn't find exactly what I had in mind, but that's
ok, I didn't really expect to. Figured I'd cast my line and see what
happens

Carl,

Thanks for taking the time to add your suggestions

Regards,
Bill