OT Car Repair Redux - The Final Chapter

Old July 16th 03, 03:12 PM
Karen_AZ

Default OT Car Repair Redux - The Final Chapter

Kathy, can I please import you for my next car repair episode? G

I had my beloved Jeep in for routine repairs and inspection last Thursday.
It just hit 100K and the 90K inspection/maintenance hadn't been done yet. So
I took it in for "the works". Brakes passed with flying colors, but I had
$700 in maintenance and improvements....both universal joints had to be
replaced, new shocks, new sway bar bushings (it rides MUCH better now),
alignment adjustment, slow leak in one tire thanks to a roofing nail,
radiator flush, and then the basic stuff like fluid exchanges, new belts &
hoses, and a tune-up. They gave me a break on several things so I really
wasn't inclined to complain.

BUT

I've had "this funny noise" for over a year, that nobody seemed able to
diagnose. It's a clattering that's speed-dependent, must more noticeable at
lower speeds. Going through drive-throughs, like at my bank, get my
attention. I pointed out this noise and was told that they couldn't find
anything, but that I might have a leak out of my transfer case (I have 4WD).
Well, off we go towards Santa Fe on Friday....got to just east of I-17 on
Flagstaff and I start to notice a noise....a sort of rattle and grind right
under the 4WD shift. No vibration or anything with it, just an ominous
noise. So we pull into Winslow and head to the car dealer. Luckily they have
a Chevy/Dodge/Jeep dealer in town. (Winslow used to be a thriving town, now
it's basically dwindling away.)

Long story shorter, the dealer was very busy but took time to check things
out, put 1.5 quarts of oil in the transfer case, and suggested I baby it
home to get a real inspection on it. We stayed overnight at a wonderful
restored Harvey-era hotel (http://www.laposada.org/menu.htm) and headed
south instead of east. Monday the Jeep went to the local dealer, and the bad
news is, the gears and bearings in the case are shot. siiiiiiigh They
should be getting a replacement today. The case itself is $900, plus labor
and other parts. So, in the space of one week, my Jeep has cost me nearly
$2000. Luckily I have it to spend right now (that was flying lesson money).
Given the choice, I'd rather have time in a Cessna, but I love my Jeep too
and would rather spend the money repairing it than buying something new. I
figure for a '95 Jeep 100K is just barely broken in! G

I invite everyone to please check out that hotel link. La Posada is
absolutely gorgeous and the new owners are taking great pains to restore and
care for it. Anyone who enjoys historic sites will get a thrill there.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old July 16th 03, 03:31 PM