Trouser Side Pockets

Old June 14th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

Default OT: girls and horses. was Trouser Side Pockets

"Doreen" wrote in message
ink.net...
CypSew wrote:
Your daughter is a horse-lover, I presume from the beautiful pics of the
sewing techniques. DGD is 7, and rides in shows often. she loves her
horses.
Emily

Emily,

All three of my daughters have loved horses all their lives, and they
own/breed/show horses. I think it's a religion with them! Sounds like
your DGD has been bitten by the same bug. Could be a lot worse,
couldn't it?

Doreen in Alabama

You never know where it will lead. One of our 'nearly ours' DGDs is queen
of
the Rooftop Rodeo this year in Estes Park, Colorado. I remember her
climbing
up on our spring horse when she was 9 months old! She plans to become a
veterinarian.

Jean

Old June 14th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

Jean D Mahavier wrote:

You never know where it will lead. One of our 'nearly ours' DGDs is queen
of
the Rooftop Rodeo this year in Estes Park, Colorado. I remember her
climbing
up on our spring horse when she was 9 months old! She plans to become a
veterinarian.

Jean

What a thrill for her! And I think women make the best veterinarians.

Doreen in Alabama
Old June 14th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

Default Trouser Side Pockets

Yes, it could, I suppose. She got the bug from her Dad, my younger DS. I
liked riding when younger, arthritis and other conditions keep me off of
them now. She began riding at age 3 and owns two, a Shetland pony she
outgrew and a ? some name like a Welch, a black pony that she got for her
6th birthday. Her DD rides a thoroughbred?. Excuse me, I am not up to par
this morning on remembering the names.
Emily

Old June 14th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

Default girls and horses. was Trouser Side Pockets

What an experience for the child! Please give her my congrats. Do you see
her often?
Emily

Old June 14th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

In article et,
Doreen wrote:

Thanks Doreen.

...My semi-regular assignment that requires
flat felled seams, which just get done the old fashioned way, is...

horse tailbags.

Whoa! Now I feel like such a nag....

I must say... I have never seen a horse tailbag. But I'd sure love to
see one and the beautiful creature that wears it. I confess that since
I witnessed Barbero's terrible mishap, I've been thinking a lot of the
four-legged wonders.

Phae

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI,Shakespeare)
Old June 15th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

Phaedrine wrote:

Whoa! Now I feel like such a nag....

I must say... I have never seen a horse tailbag. But I'd sure love to
see one and the beautiful creature that wears it. I confess that since
I witnessed Barbero's terrible mishap, I've been thinking a lot of the
four-legged wonders.

Phae

Phae,

Well, I've never photo'd the tailbags. They're basically just long
cylinders of slippery fabric like a soft peau de soie--polyester, for
durability. But here's a pic of the stallion for whom I made my first
tailbags. DD #2, the tall girl, is half owner, and I was given full
credit for the condition of the luxurious tail that played a part
(major, I'm sure!) in his winning this title:

http://pair.com/threets/patchwtext3.jpg

I'm not too keen about horse racing. Seems like a dangerous sport in
which the horses have no choice about participating.

Doreen in Alabama
Old June 15th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

duh.
i thought the tailbag was a nice name for a horse diaper that went under
so it wouldn't have to be followed by the clowns with wheelbarrow and
shovels.

klh in VA [but not the va horse country region]

Old June 15th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

In article et,
Doreen wrote:

Well, I've never photo'd the tailbags. They're basically just long
cylinders of slippery fabric like a soft peau de soie--polyester, for
durability. But here's a pic of the stallion for whom I made my first
tailbags. DD #2, the tall girl, is half owner, and I was given full
credit for the condition of the luxurious tail that played a part
(major, I'm sure!) in his winning this title:

http://pair.com/threets/patchwtext3.jpg

I'm not too keen about horse racing. Seems like a dangerous sport in
which the horses have no choice about participating.

Oh isn't he a handsome guy! Thanks for posting that pic; your daughter
is lovely and tall. I'm with you on the horse racing. We have a
lot of stables in the area where I live. A neighbor has two appaloosas.
A nearby regional park is devoted exclusively to horses. They have
several huge stables and that's where we get the manure for our gardens.

Phae

Old June 15th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

Gorgeous horse and the women ain't too bad looking either.
Emily

Old June 15th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

Jack Schmidling wrote:
I have made about ten pairs of trousers and shorts and have yet to get
the side pockets right.

The bottom joint where everything comes together never does and I have
to mush over it with a fine zig zag.

It looks so simple when studying a commercial pair but putting it into
practice is a different matter.

Jack,

Why don't you put a couple of photos of the problem on your excellent
website, so that all of us can have a look at the problem and advise you
better?

I've mostly done the in seam type of pockets with trousers, and not had
a problem with this style. You sew the four pocket bag pieces to the
outside seam of each of the four prices of leg, and then sew the out
seams of the trousers, sewing round the pocket bags. On the way you have
to remember to sew up and down into the pocket area (otherwise stuff
falls out of it when you use it!)- and keeping that at 5/8" does take a
bit of mucking around and a good eye, and marking the 'dot' well helps.
I usually sew to the dot, then turn the trousers through 90deg, and sew
a bartack on the dot to reinforce the bottom of the pocket.

I have sewn a test pair of cargo trousers (well - test shorts actually -
I wasn't about to make the whole lot when I knew I only needed to fit
waist, hips & bum) for my DB (must get round to making the real thing)
which have the jean style pocket at the front, where the pocket bag is
sewn to the top front of the front trouser pieces, and the back pocket
bag is exposed as part of the trouser front. The hardest part I found
was getting the front to lie flat along the pocket curve - which I
resolved with seam grading and top stitching.

Sarah