Fashion Fabrics for Bra-Making?

Old April 30th 06, 03:34 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default Fashion Fabrics for Bra-Making?

G'day Pora

I like to use poly-cotton and overlay it with whatever pretty fabric or
lace I find. Just recently I noticed a bolt of Raschel Lace in the
wedding fabric section and while it was quite expensive per metre
because I only needed a small amount so that didn't matter. The width
was 1.2m so I'll get a few bra cups out of the piece and it is sooo
pretty.

I've also embroidered plain fabrics so the choice is only limited by
your imagination.

Bronwyn ;-)

wurstergirl wrote:
Is anyone able to discuss fashion fabrics for bra-making? I'm
interested in going further than the typical solid tricots. It sounds
like organza is a fabric of choice for sheer lining. Does it do well
as the fashion fabric too? I'm also considering georgette, crepe de
chine, charmeuse, and cotton-poly eyelet. Also, is rayon cooler
overall than polyester? Pros and cons anyone? It occurs to me to
consider nylon, too....

Thx,
Pora

Old April 30th 06, 04:47 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Well, I've started homemade bra 2.0. Bought flesh-toned organza and am
using some leftover georgette and organza ribbon. Because the
georgette is actually stretch georgette I bonded it with a layer of
organza to stabilize. Maybe the stuff I'm using to bond is too strong,
because it turns practically like paper! More in a few days...

Pora

Old April 30th 06, 05:00 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

On 29 Apr 2006 11:16:23 -0700, "wurstergirl"
wrote:

For plain cotton, do you use batiste , flannel or just muslin? Are
there wrinkling issues after every washing? I'm inclined to go with
cotton-poly blends for the durability. I'm all for layering fashion
over function too, especially since I'm going to be making bras for my
I-cup friend as well as for myself. There's no reason one can't
enclose the seam allowances between the cups, right? Thanks for the
renaissance lace tip.

I have done one in a lightweight flannel and it feels so nice!
Might be a bit warm for summer though. Plain muslin (I'm useing a 4
ounce for this) works very well indeed. I have been petting some
light sand washed broadcloth and having notions.
I prewash the devil out of my fabrics, as much abuse as I dare for the
given weave and fiber. Wrinkleing or shrinkage has not been an issue
for me. A bit of mild rumpleing, but that smooths out once you have
the thing on.

No reason at all not to enclose the seams, save perhaps weight and
bulk. The usual stuff, depends on your exact construction and fabric.

Since you are making them to fit, there is also no reason to make the
shoulder straps adjustable either. Unless of course you are embarking
on a course of bodybuilding or an extreme diet

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old May 1st 06, 04:06 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

That sand-washed broadcloth sounds excellent. It's good to hear that
difficulties with wrinkling and shrinkage "come out in the wash" so to
speak!

I"m not sure about making strap length permanent. I find that I adjust
my straps regularly. But I'll ask the other ladies I'll be bra-making
for. It would save the effort of finding or dyeing strap elastic to
match.

As an aside, the bra I started making last night feels like it's made
of butcher paper. I fused the fashion stretch georgette to an organza
layer for stability and ended up with something you could wrap around
last night's fish! I've only sewn one cup, so maybe I'll switch to
Sulky Solvy and just wash the bonding layer out after sewing. (Any
opinions here?) This is an important investigation for me, since I
have some stretch fabrics I'd like to use for both the cups and the
back wings.

Pora

Old May 1st 06, 05:22 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article om,
"wurstergirl" wrote:

I"m not sure about making strap length permanent. I find that I adjust
my straps regularly. But I'll ask the other ladies I'll be bra-making
for. It would save the effort of finding or dyeing strap elastic to
match.

I adjust mine all the time too.

As an aside, the bra I started making last night feels like it's made
of butcher paper. I fused the fashion stretch georgette to an organza
layer for stability and ended up with something you could wrap around
last night's fish! I've only sewn one cup, so maybe I'll switch to
Sulky Solvy and just wash the bonding layer out after sewing. (Any
opinions here?) This is an important investigation for me, since I
have some stretch fabrics I'd like to use for both the cups and the
back wings.

If you need a temporary bond, would that spray stuff used for embroidery
or temporarily bonding quilt layers (instead of basting or pinning)
work? I have not used it so I don't know. And I also don't know how it
reacts with various fabrics but I thought I'd just throw the idea out
there.

Phae

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake,
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI, Shakespeare)
Old May 1st 06, 06:29 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Yes, I figured such a thing must exist but know nothing about its
performance. There are several quilting shops nearby, so maybe they'd
know. Sounds easier to use than the wash-out fusible. If there is a
kind that washes out too.

P.

Old May 1st 06, 09:29 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Phaedrine wrote:

If you need a temporary bond, would that spray stuff used for embroidery
or temporarily bonding quilt layers (instead of basting or pinning)
work? I have not used it so I don't know. And I also don't know how it
reacts with various fabrics but I thought I'd just throw the idea out
there.

http://www.sprayandfix.com/505.html

Good stuff. I've used it for quilts and applique.

The only potential problem I can think of is "strike through", whereby
the adhesive would go through the organza to the layer behind. You
could get round that by spraying it onto the other fabric rather than
the organza, I would think.

Look at the FAQ at the link above for information about how long it
lasts.

Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England
Old May 1st 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:40:42 GMT, (NightMist)
wrote:

For fabrics I totally endorse cotton. For comfort it is hard to beat.

I have one handkerchief-linen bra.

I'll never make another cotton bra as long as handkerchief linen is
available.

Joy Beeson
--
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- needlework

Old May 1st 06, 02:53 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

On 30 Apr 2006 20:06:29 -0700, "wurstergirl"
wrote:

I"m not sure about making strap length permanent. I find that I adjust
my straps regularly. But I'll ask the other ladies I'll be bra-making
for. It would save the effort of finding or dyeing strap elastic to
match.

Yeah, that would be a totally personal call.
I hated adjusting mine with the comercial ones. After a couple of
wearings the adjustment kept slipping. Do rethink the elastic though.
If it's what you want it's what you want, but one of the things I
started out to do was eliminate all unnecessary elastic. Both the
side breathing triangles and the straps are easy enough to replace, I
just didn't see the point to making the straps elastic.

As an aside, the bra I started making last night feels like it's made
of butcher paper. I fused the fashion stretch georgette to an organza
layer for stability and ended up with something you could wrap around
last night's fish! I've only sewn one cup, so maybe I'll switch to
Sulky Solvy and just wash the bonding layer out after sewing. (Any
opinions here?) This is an important investigation for me, since I
have some stretch fabrics I'd like to use for both the cups and the
back wings.

The joys of stretch fabrics.
I would definitly go with a lightweight soluble.
Or maybe since it is smallish sections, a washable glue stick (sticky
stuff on stabilizing fabric then the georgette on that) might be
functional. I'll have to try that, I've never used it on a quite so
big a small section but it ought to work. It'd be considerably less
expensive too.

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old May 1st 06, 02:59 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

If you need a temporary bond, would that spray stuff used for embroidery
or temporarily bonding quilt layers (instead of basting or pinning)
work? I have not used it so I don't know. And I also don't know how it
reacts with various fabrics but I thought I'd just throw the idea out
there.

A good thought, but IME it doesn't work for beans on synthetics.
Unless it is a low percentage stretch and a high percentage natural
fiber it wouldn't stick very well.
Nasty fumes too, it is a use in a well ventilated area then have a
cuppa while you come down off the glue buzz kind of product.

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.