efficacy of pants pressers?

Old May 6th 05, 07:47 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , The Real Bev of The Vast
Right-Wing Conspiracy uttered

Hmm. You get better results if you press while you're sewing a
garment, but I can't see the relationship either. Perhaps his tailor
is lying to him.

He's prattling on about pressing them *after* they're made -
horse-stabledoor syndrome? Either that or he thought he'd show off
about getting a trouser press?
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old May 6th 05, 07:47 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Bob Ward of
uttered

What does pressing pants have to do with "proper tailoring" ?

Absolutely nothing whatsoever.
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old May 6th 05, 08:49 AM
Pogonip

Rod Speed wrote:

Ending cross-posting and making nice new filters.

--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/
Old May 6th 05, 03:57 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

"She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild"
wrote in message
In article , Bob Ward of
uttered

What does pressing pants have to do with "proper tailoring" ?

Absolutely nothing whatsoever.
--
AJH
no email address supplied

Actually, it does. Ever tried to press pants that have improperly cut and
sewn? Can't even iron them to look neat - so I can just imagine how they
would fare in a press!
Cynthia

Old May 6th 05, 04:09 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Cynthia Spilsted of uttered

Actually, it does. Ever tried to press pants that have improperly cut
and sewn? Can't even iron them to look neat - so I can just imagine
how they
would fare in a press!

Yes, but pressing them *after* they've been made has absolutely no
effect on the standard of manufacture - it can't! And I still fail to
see what pressing can possibly do for their longevity as a garment apart
from possibly shortening it by weakening the fibres through scorching.
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old May 6th 05, 09:18 PM
Bob Ward

wrote in message
In article , Bob Ward of
uttered

What does pressing pants have to do with "proper tailoring" ?

Absolutely nothing whatsoever.
--
AJH
no email address supplied

Actually, it does. Ever tried to press pants that have improperly cut and
sewn? Can't even iron them to look neat - so I can just imagine how they
would fare in a press!
Cynthia

That's my point, sort of - if they aren't made correctly, no amount of
pressing will make them fit properly, but pressing them won't extend
the useful life.

Old May 7th 05, 12:25 PM

Rod Speed wrote:
Most arent silly enough to 'press' pure cotton jeans.

Jeans?!? I don't own any.

Jeans *can* look good.... if they're cut to measure.... and
heavily starched. But perhaps you don't do that to your garments,
either. I do.

You're not invited to my coffee-klatsch. Maybe a group of blind
individuals will enjoy your company?

Old May 7th 05, 12:58 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article . com, of
http://groups.google.com uttered

Rod Speed wrote:
Most arent silly enough to 'press' pure cotton jeans.

Jeans?!? I don't own any.

Jeans *can* look good.... if they're cut to measure.... and
heavily starched. But perhaps you don't do that to your garments,
either. I do.

You're not invited to my coffee-klatsch. Maybe a group of blind
individuals will enjoy your company?

Aha. Now we see. "Coffee-klatsch" ... made-to-measure trousers (and no
jeans)... and starched drawers ... says it all ...

My Dad still refers to jeans as "overalls", but then he is in his 80s,
bless his little (unstarched) cotton socks

anyone fancy a pint later?
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old May 7th 05, 08:05 PM
Pogonip

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

Aha. Now we see. "Coffee-klatsch" ... made-to-measure trousers (and no
jeans)... and starched drawers ... says it all ...

My Dad still refers to jeans as "overalls", but then he is in his 80s,
bless his little (unstarched) cotton socks

anyone fancy a pint later?

Only if I can wear my (unpressed, unstarched) jeans. ;-)

Old May 7th 05, 08:41 PM
Rod Speed

wrote in message
ups.com...
Rod Speed wrote
wrote

I always press my pants because they're pure cotton.

Most arent silly enough to 'press' pure cotton jeans.

Jeans?!? I don't own any.

More fool you.

And irrelevant to your original anyway.

Jeans *can* look good.... if they're
cut to measure.... and heavily starched.

Pathetic, really.

But perhaps you don't do that to your garments, either.

Corse I dont.

I do.

More fool you.

You're not invited to my coffee-klatsch.

Not interested in pathetically anal obessives...

Maybe a group of blind individuals will enjoy your company?

Plenty who arent blind do, thanks.