Citrine, where does gem quality come from?

Old May 4th 05, 03:26 AM
CheshireCat

Default Citrine, where does gem quality come from?

Ive seen several examples of citrine geode and every one of them has
contained groups of tiny stones.
Where do these large commercial stones come from ?

Also, where in the world are geodes found? Are there any sources in the uk?

thanks

Old May 5th 05, 01:44 AM
Malcolm Kane

In message , CheshireCat
writes
Ive seen several examples of citrine geode and every one of them has
contained groups of tiny stones.
Where do these large commercial stones come from ?

Also, where in the world are geodes found? Are there any sources in the uk?

thanks

I have no knowledge of commercial stones presumably you mean faceted.

However I suspect most of the geodes you see of "Citrine" in the UK are
in fact heat treated Amethyst. The probable source would then be
somewhere like Brazil or Uraguay.

To the best of my knowledge there are no sources of Amethyst or Citrine
in Large pieces in the UK. I have found a water worn Amethyst Crystal
the size of my little finger nail on a Tayside beach.

HTH
--
Malcolm Kane

Old May 14th 05, 02:42 AM
oh_golliee

"CheshireCat" wrote in message
Ive seen several examples of citrine geode and every one of them has
contained groups of tiny stones.
Where do these large commercial stones come from ?

Also, where in the world are geodes found? Are there any sources in the

uk?

thanks

As stated, almost all Citrine on the commercial market is heat treated
Amethyst or Smoky Quartz. Larger natural crystals are usually found in small
deposits in Africa such as Tanzania, Madagascar, etc... and most are found
in Brazil and Bolivia(usually Ametrine) with some in the USA. Natural
Citrine is very rare in nature of significant size hence why the only
specimens available commercially are small clusters, most of which are not
natural either. I own a few natural Citrines from many localities including
an extremely pale faceted stone from Tanzania, I've yet to come across
another like it.

There are some examples of Citrine from Scotland, which is also famous for
its Cairngorm Quartz(smokey Quartz). I'm not entirely sure but I think small
clusters can be found in Cornwall, also known for its Amethyst clusters and
Rose Quartz

high quality scrapbook supplies for sale cjcprincess Marketplace 0 May 5th 04 10:07 PM
Squishie Fabric Quality Mika Quilting 21 April 3rd 04 04:18 PM
can we talk about quality findings and components? (long) Pam Beads 76 September 27th 03 09:10 AM
Good quality watches w/o bands C Ryman Jewelry 0 September 1st 03 03:40 AM
unbelieveably expensive citrine m4816k Jewelry 0 July 4th 03 07:15 PM