Mystery curtains

Old January 1st 05, 01:28 AM
Doug Kanter

"dnmgiordano" wrote in message
news:APkBd.643008$Pl.467314@pd7tw1no...

"Juno" wrote in message
Larisa, YOu should charge for a full hour. You have to set up, cut and
sew.
Did any repairperson ever come to your house and fix soething that took
20
minutes and charge you for that time. I doubt it. They charge for the
first
full hour. So you have to charge the full amount. You must place a high
value on what you do. You know your worth it.
Juno

I agree, I would charge $10 - 20 (canadian mind you) for that job.

Michelle Giordano

And I'd pay that price, rather than have my house look like a heroin addict
had done the sewing.

Old January 1st 05, 02:07 AM
dnmgiordano

I agree, I would charge $10 - 20 (canadian mind you) for that job.

Michelle Giordano

And I'd pay that price, rather than have my house look like a heroin
addict had done the sewing.

LOL too funny. If you live in Saskatoon give me a jingle lol

Michelle Giordano

Old January 1st 05, 05:21 AM
Doug Kanter

I agree, I would charge $10 - 20 (canadian mind you) for that job.

Michelle Giordano

And I'd pay that price, rather than have my house look like a heroin
addict had done the sewing.

LOL too funny. If you live in Saskatoon give me a jingle lol

Michelle Giordano

Actually, my biggest tailoring problem right now involves language barriers.
The zipper on my excellent LL Bean parka needs to be replaced. The fabric at
the top of the zipper (and which is part of the zipper, not the coat) is so
worn that the upper stop of the zipper has nothing to clip to. So, if I
mindlessly zip it all the way up, the slider comes off. I've been to 3
tailors so far and asked if they can install a totally new YKK zipper - the
ENTIRE zipper, not just the slider. Well, these tailors were from
who-knows-where in Eastern Europe, and they seem to know just two words:
cuffs and sleeves. They all go into the back room and come out with a new
slider. I open the pocket and point out that I have a perfectly good slider,
and try to explain that I want the old zipper removed and replaced. No luck.
I'll probably go and buy the entire zipper this week and see if that, and
some sign language will get the message across. If not, the coat goes off to
LL Bean.

Old January 1st 05, 04:00 PM
dnmgiordano

[...]

I have replaced zippers in a few winter coats (Parka's, its darn cold here
lol) and it's very easy. I am not sure what a YKK zipper is, I am guessing
brand name? If you aren't having luck with tailors, call a dry cleaner and
arrange it through them, or ask if they can refer you to someone who can
replace zippers. IMHO you are going to the wrong people if they can't
replace a zipper or understand what you are asking.

Happy New Year
Michelle Giordano

Old January 1st 05, 05:18 PM
Doug Kanter

[...]

Michelle, YKK is a brand name. I'm not sure how they became popular with
companies like LL Bean, but I suspect it's because the teeth are quite large
and seem to be made of very hard plastic, or plastic covered metal, which
keeps them from being a pain in the neck when they get full of snow. They're
really nice zippers. However, I recently bought a nicely made raincoat from
Gander Mountain Sports which has a YKK zipper, and it's awful. I suspect the
problem is the installation, not the zipper itself. Because the teeth are
fat and further apart than what you'd find on a pair of jeans, these zippers
seem sort of floppy - they appear to need more backbone in the garment to
which they're attached. They get that support from a winter coat, but not
from this particular jacket, which is thin where the zipper's sewn on.

Or, my theory could be totally wrong. Who knows?

Old January 1st 05, 05:48 PM
Valkyrie

YKK is a brand of zipper. I sew a lot of snowboarding gear for my son and
other "manly man" out door stuff for the boys and in MHO it's the best. It
seems to keep sliding smoothly under all kinds of conditions and doesn't
self destruct as many do.

Doug, you need to let your fingers do a little Yellow Page walking and look
under "Dry Cleaners" and see who advertises alterations and/or repairs. If
they are close by and don't advertise that service, call anyway and ask,
most of these places do.

Val

Old January 1st 05, 05:54 PM
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 05:21:20 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
calmly ranted:

"dnmgiordano" wrote in message

I agree, I would charge $10 - 20 (canadian mind you) for that job.

Michelle Giordano

And I'd pay that price, rather than have my house look like a heroin
addict had done the sewing.

LOL too funny. If you live in Saskatoon give me a jingle lol

Michelle Giordano

Actually, my biggest tailoring problem right now involves language barriers.
The zipper on my excellent LL Bean parka needs to be replaced. The fabric at
the top of the zipper (and which is part of the zipper, not the coat) is so
worn that the upper stop of the zipper has nothing to clip to. So, if I
mindlessly zip it all the way up, the slider comes off. I've been to 3
tailors so far and asked if they can install a totally new YKK zipper - the

1st option: Why not just stitch a small piece of cloth over the end of
the zipper by hand so the slide doesn't fall off?

2nd option: Got a soldering iron? If it's not an aluminum zipper, put
a dab of solder on the end. It will hardly show and will stop the
slide.

3rd option: Go into the local sewing store and ask for a new zipper
and someone to install it for you. chances are that one of the gals
either working there or in the store shopping will volunteer to do it.

4th option: Go to an upholstery shop, not a tailor. They'll know what
to do to fix it for you inexpensively.

BTW, to stay on topic with the subject, the second job I did on my
Universal machine was to make mystery (cafe) curtains for the garage
door windows in my shop. They're a bit hourglassed (I hadn't yet
figured out how to sew straight hems. g) but they cover the windows
and let in lots of light.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Old January 1st 05, 06:44 PM
Doug Kanter

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

There's not enough fabric left there to sew anything to. By "fabric", I mean
the fabric portion of the zipper. I could overlap that and sew to the coat
itself, but that wouldn't solve the problem. If the zipper doesn't engage
the stop, it tends to open up on its own.

2nd option: Got a soldering iron? If it's not an aluminum zipper, put
a dab of solder on the end. It will hardly show and will stop the
slide.

The zipper's plastic, or plastic coated. Not something I'd want to attack
with a soldering iron. Good idea, although aren't most other zippers brass?

Old January 1st 05, 07:57 PM
Karen Maslowski

Since LL Bean has such a good returns and repairs policy, I don't know
why you wouldn't just do this, Doug. They have a great track record for
turnaround. My husband has sent his Bean boots back to be resoled a
couple of times over the course of the last 30 years, and they have
fantastic service.

Sadly, most of the clothing and other items in their catalogs now are
imported. Almost the only things still made in the US are their Bean
boots, the moosehide slippers, the rag rugs, and just a few other things.

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old January 1st 05, 08:05 PM
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:44:21 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
calmly ranted:

I wrote:
1st option: Why not just stitch a small piece of cloth over the end of
the zipper by hand so the slide doesn't fall off?

There's not enough fabric left there to sew anything to. By "fabric", I mean
the fabric portion of the zipper. I could overlap that and sew to the coat
itself, but that wouldn't solve the problem. If the zipper doesn't engage
the stop, it tends to open up on its own.

Ah, time for a new zipper. See if an upholstery shop or sewing person
in the classified ads will do it for you if the local tailors won't,
or try the sewing center for volunteers as I also suggested.

2nd option: Got a soldering iron? If it's not an aluminum zipper, put
a dab of solder on the end. It will hardly show and will stop the
slide.

The zipper's plastic, or plastic coated. Not something I'd want to attack
with a soldering iron. Good idea, although aren't most other zippers brass?

They were.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

WANTED: importers for Rapier Jacquard Curtains. Vikas Kariwal Marketplace 0 January 27th 05 06:21 PM
"Winter Into Spring" Mystery Project Pamela Kellogg Needlework 17 December 31st 04 04:52 PM
Beaded Curtains - Google Failing Me Jennifer Beads 22 May 20th 04 04:13 PM
Diamond Pricing Mystery t0rk-- Jewelry 1 February 11th 04 06:21 AM
Curtains that open and close with ease !!! josepea Sewing 15 January 15th 04 07:10 PM