I want to learn to make my own clothes (in Seattle)

Old November 18th 04, 03:28 PM
Kathleen

zski wrote:
ooh - I can ask you then.

I have a can of smoked oysters in oil.

What do I do with them?

Drain the oil off and use a fork to smash them up with an 8 ounce
package of cream cheese. Add a couple squeezes of lemon juice and a
couple of shakes of tabasco. Serve with bagel chips.

Kathleen

Old November 19th 04, 10:28 PM
Pat in Virginia

Yep, Elizabeth, those New Brunswick herring tins are
the herring this side of the pond! I love 'em all year.
Over in Germany it Herring Salat -herring salad- was a
staple in fish markets. YUM! Herring of any type is a
REQUIREMENT on January 1st, for a good new year. My
mother insisted on it and I carry on the tradition. I
am the only one in fandamily who will partake, but hey,
that means more for me!! PAT in VA/USA

Elizabeth Young wrote:
Elizabeth Young wrote:

Kippered herring! Herring smoked and packed in oil in a tin.
Wonderful on crackers. You can really tell who your friends are -
they are the ones that do not run screaming from the room when you
open the tin. They just politely hold their noses.

Also a salmon of some sort.

liz young in sunny california - hungry for fish!

Learn something new every day. "Salmon" came from whatever dictionary I
checked. The kippers I know (being an American/Canadian) are small tins
from New Brunswick (usually) that have herring fillets (I guess its a
fillet) in them packed in oil. Good right out of the tin.

This is one brand
http://products.peapod.com/22502.html

liz young

Old November 25th 04, 10:20 AM
H. Stelling

When you want to make your own clothes, I'd say: buy a good sewing machine.
A good tool is necessary (ask man, they always buy a good tool, it's half
the work) . You'll get very frustrated if your machine doesn't work and you
can see it on the clothes you've made.
It's always handy to follow a course. Pick one where you can learn how to
draw your own patterns. When you understand the basics of drawing, you can
change every pattern in the one you like.
Pick something simple to begin with, sportstrousers for example (not
stretch).
A good book is always handy. Best are the books were they explain one
technic at the time. I only know dutch books, but I'm sure there are enough
english books with that topic.
I wish you a lot of fun sewing and showing your own clothes
--
Hendrika from the Netherlands

"Jacqueline Passey" schreef in bericht
om...
Hi! I am completely frustrated by my inability to find clothes in the
color, style, fit, and durability that I want in the store, and have
decided to learn to make my own. Fortunately my favorite clothes that
I want to copy are all very simple -- 1 to 3 pieces of fabric, mostly
knits, with few or no buttons and no darts. So I think I can do it.
I've requested a bunch of books on sewing from the library, and am
investigating local classes, but I'd appreciate some advice from
experienced people.

Should I get a sewing machine or a serger? I've heard/read that the
latter is better for making clothes quickly. Do I need both or just
one? (I might be able to borrow a sewing machine from time to time,
so right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a serger.)

Of the various introductory sewing / clothes making books out there,
which do you think are the best for a total beginner? Will I be able
to copy my current garments, or is that too complex for a beginner?
(It seems simple... for example I have a grey knit dress that is only
three pieces of fabric sewn together, it seems like I should be able
to turn it inside out, trace it, add some fabric around the edges, and
sew it together. Is there much more to it than that?)

Can anyone in Seattle give specific recommendations about local
stores, classes, sewing groups, etc.?

What else should I know?

Thanks!!!

Jacqueline

Old December 3rd 04, 05:49 AM
CySew

I missed the original post, but Hendrika is correct if anyone is interested
in making his/her clothes, and yes, there are many excellent books on the
USA market, one of my all time favorites is the 1976 edition of Reader's
Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. It is not as up to date as the newer
edition, but has more of the basics, IMHO.
Emily

Old December 3rd 04, 11:07 AM
Kate Dicey

CySew wrote:

I missed the original post, but Hendrika is correct if anyone is interested
in making his/her clothes, and yes, there are many excellent books on the
USA market, one of my all time favorites is the 1976 edition of Reader's
Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. It is not as up to date as the newer
edition, but has more of the basics, IMHO.
Emily

That's why I have 3 copies of the old one and only one of the new
edition! Sewing for Dummies is good too.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 7th 04, 03:02 PM
lm

Also valuable -- find some well-made clothes at a thrift store and take them
apart. You can learn so much about tailoring by observation and "feel"
Regards,
Laura