Footie Pajamas

Old September 20th 04, 06:37 PM
Kristen L. Renneker

"Cynthia Spilsted" wrote in message

"Tom Farrell" wrote in message
om...
snipI'm wondering if anyone
here has made footed pyjamas for babies or toddlers, and if so, if you
would recommend a pattern. I know Kwik-Sew makes one or two patterns
for them, and I'm not sure who else. I'd prefer a new-born-size
pattern, but if anyone has any recommendations about a toddler-size
pattern, that's of interest too: snip

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/

I would go with the Kwik Sew, mainly because I like them best for that

kind
of thing. McCall's used to make the footed sleepers as well. One word of
advice, though: don't make the new-born size. Most infants are out of

them
far too quickly to make them worthwhile. (My third child couldn't even

wear
some of them home from the hospital!) If your friends are expecting very
small babies, then go for it - otherwise devote your energy to the 6-12
month size! If Kwik-Sew still offers the 3mos size, that is okay too. I
have made them and the adult size that they used to offer and they all
worked up quickly and easily.
Cynthia

I guess it depends on the baby...I'd make some newborn sizes...When I had my
1st daughter, all I received as gifts were 6-12 month clothes...it was nice
because I knew I'd have clothes for her to grow into, but I had to go out
and buy all the newborn sizes because there was no way my little 6 lb girl
was going to fit in even 3 month clothes! even DD#2 couldn't wear 3 month
clothes for a while and she was over 7 lbs.

even if it doesn't last very long, it's nice to have clothes that actually
fit at that age...and especially for sleepwear, you don't want them to be
baggy.

kristen

Old September 20th 04, 09:17 PM
Karen Maslowski

Tom, I'm a little confused here. Didn't you start out asking about
footed pjs for babies? But if you want a pattern for just the foot part,
go to www.wildginger.com and download the Wild Things program--assuming
you use a PC, and not a Mac. (Or if you do use a Mac, that you have a
Windows emulator). It has some really cool little doodads, including
booties which you can make for a wide variety of sizes.

HTH,
Karen in Ohio

Old September 20th 04, 10:01 PM
Tom Farrell

"Siobhan McGrath" wrote:

I have been using Nighty Night Pattern from Sunrise Designs - I believe it
is still available. It is a great pattern for the footed sleepers - infant
sizes.

Thanks, it looks good. Are there any particular features you think
make it superior?

I suggest using the YKK Beulon Knitted Tape Zipper- they are soft and
move with the fabric without stiffness.

Thanks. I get my zippers from my local YKK distributor... at less than
1/4 the price of buying them in a fabric store. They're really
wonderful about advising me about what I want for my desired purpose,
and can make custom lengths for me. Incidentally, I recommend them:
US Slide Fastener Corporation 21 Drydock Ave., Boston, MA 02210
(617) 426-3546
They'll take credit card orders by phone and ship to you, and they
have just about every size, color, and feature. Oh, and they stock
Velcro too I think. They'd prefer bulk orders, but are willing to
handle a $20 or so order. I get zippers there for $1.50 that I find in
the stores for $8 or $9. I don't use a lot of zippers, but when I go
there I always buy half a dozen jacket zippers and such because that
way I'll probably have one on hand if I decide to make something that
will require an expensive zipper.

Tom
Old September 20th 04, 10:16 PM
Tom Farrell

"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote:

Watch out for the pj's being too short through the torso...terribly
uncomfortable.

Yes, that's a concern of course. I'm hoping I'll be able to get
measurements of at least most of the recipients in advance. They all
know I sew and I've sewn gifts for them all in the past, so if I tell
them I want measurements it'll be no surprise. I also have a history
of taking lots of measurements to obscure what I really want. In one
case I measured people's head, neck, chest, waist, back length,
sleeve, and inseam... and they got hats. (It was enough years ago that
I need new measurements however.)

I also recommend the matching booties as the "feet" wear out quickly.

As the whole point of the project is that my friends want PJs with
feet attached, they'll be attached. Anyway, I have pairs of slipper
socks I made out of Polartec with grip-tite fabric on the soles that
I've had for 5 or 6 years with no significant signs of wear, so I'm
not too worried about the PJs wearing out.

Tom
Old September 21st 04, 04:50 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

I guess it depends on the baby...I'd make some newborn sizes...When I had

my
1st daughter, all I received as gifts were 6-12 month clothes...it was

nice
because I knew I'd have clothes for her to grow into, but I had to go out
and buy all the newborn sizes because there was no way my little 6 lb girl
was going to fit in even 3 month clothes! even DD#2 couldn't wear 3 month
clothes for a while and she was over 7 lbs.

even if it doesn't last very long, it's nice to have clothes that actually
fit at that age...and especially for sleepwear, you don't want them to be
baggy.

kristen

Oh Dear:
I guess it does depend a lot that way. Babies around here average about 7
and a half pounds and gain quickly. My 2nd was small at 7 lbs and did not
grow (she stayed at the bottom of the growth charts until after the age of
two!) whereas my third was 8 lbs. 4 oz and grew rapidly off the top end of
the charts! By the age of two she was already at three year growth levels
in all areas. By three and a half she had her 6 year molars! Now they're
both willowy teenagers with a whole new set of fitting problems...
Cynthia

Old September 21st 04, 04:59 AM
Tom Farrell

Cynthia Spilsted ) wrote:

One word of advice, though: don't make the new-born size. Most

infants are
out of them far too quickly to make them worthwhile. (My third child couldn't
even wear some of them home from the hospital!)

The *average* birth weight in my family is 12 pounds. Fortunately for
the ladies in question, neither they nor their husbands are in my
family.

"Kristen L. Renneker" wrote:

I guess it depends on the baby...I'd make some newborn sizes...When I had my
1st daughter, all I received as gifts were 6-12 month clothes...it was nice
because I knew I'd have clothes for her to grow into, but I had to go out
and buy all the newborn sizes because there was no way my little 6 lb girl
was going to fit in even 3 month clothes! even DD#2 couldn't wear 3 month
clothes for a while and she was over 7 lbs.

Thanks for the excellent advice from you both. I'm going to only make
the footie pajamas in some somewhat larger sizes, because I'm planning
to give them for christmas instead of at birth. However, I may make
some other things in newborn size.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old September 21st 04, 05:17 AM
Tom Farrell

Karen Maslowski wrote in message ...
Tom, I'm a little confused here. Didn't you start out asking about
footed pjs for babies?

I want to make them for a number of people, three of whom haven't been
born yet, six or more of whom are adults. The patterns for babies are
easy to find, there are several so I have choices and I welcome advice
about which one is best. The patterns for adults are more problematic,
because the only one I've found with attached feet on the pattern is
only for women.

But if you want a pattern for just the foot part,
go to www.wildginger.com and download the Wild Things program--assuming
you use a PC, and not a Mac. (Or if you do use a Mac, that you have a
Windows emulator). It has some really cool little doodads, including
booties which you can make for a wide variety of sizes.

I use a Mac. I could run a PC emulator, but don't care to. I only use
Windows when I have to, and I have slipper sock patterns already.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old September 21st 04, 02:38 PM
Siobhan McGrath

"Siobhan McGrath" wrote:

I have been using Nighty Night Pattern from Sunrise Designs - I believe
it
is still available. It is a great pattern for the footed sleepers -
infant
sizes.

Thanks, it looks good. Are there any particular features you think
make it superior?

I like this pattern because the zipper extends down one leg making changing
time easier. I like the pattern with the little bit of elastic across the
back not all the way around. Since one of your friends is expecting twins
figure the babies will be small - make up some smalls and mediums with the
possibility of needing to make some extra smalls. I also like the sleep
sack from this pattern - instead of a drawstring in the bottom I used a baby
weight elastic - makes changes easy and allows the baby kicking freedom.
For sizing for toddlers - my trick has been to make them big and use ribbing
at the wrists and ankles so they can grow into them. I believe the pattern I
used for these was a Doctor Denton pattern from Simplicity #8886. (#9853 is
similar) For toddler age I never maded footed pjs because my sons feet would
get too hot. Sizing was also a problem, they have to be the correct length
so they don't walk on the legs instead of the feet, hence the reasoning
behind the ribbing.

I suggest using the YKK Beulon Knitted Tape Zipper- they are soft and
move with the fabric without stiffness.

Thanks. I get my zippers from my local YKK distributor... at less than
1/4 the price of buying them in a fabric store. They're really
wonderful about advising me about what I want for my desired purpose,
and can make custom lengths for me. Incidentally, I recommend them:

US Slide Fastener Corporation 21 Drydock Ave., Boston, MA 02210
(617) 426-3546

Where is this place located in relation to South Station? Do they have a
store front or is it just a business location that will sell retail if
requested?

Old September 21st 04, 02:56 PM
Marilyn

Tom Farrell wrote:

I have two pregnant friends, one of whom is expecting twins. I'm
planning to make some baby clothes for the happy couples' babies, and
one thing I'd like to make is footed pajamas. I'm wondering if anyone
here has made footed pajamas for babies or toddlers, and if so, if you
would recommend a pattern. I know Kwik-Sew makes one or two patterns
for them, and I'm not sure who else. I'd prefer a newborn-size
pattern, but if anyone has any recommendations about a toddler-size
pattern, that's of interest too: I may choose to make a range of sizes
of clothes so the new mothers will have a bit of clothes for the
children to grow into, instead of everything I make getting outgrown
almost immediately.

snip
Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/

Tom,
What a nice project to do for your friends! You have been getting
quite a bit of good advice on the making of the of the pajamas. I'll
add my bit on the baby versions since I can't help with the adult
versions.
I was going to advise not to make the baby footie jammies too small
(newborn or 3 month) since the babies grow out of them so quickly. Then
I read the posts which said their babies were small and used the smaller
sizes for quite awhile. My babies wore the 3 month sizes when born and
grew out of them quickly. Most of my friends had similar experiences
except for one who had twins. I would still lean toward making the 3
month size rather than the newborn size. You already have this problem
solved since you are planning to make a range of sizes.
If you use snaps on the baby clothes, I would advise against using
snap tape. Some patterns call for it, oddly enough, but it is not a
good thing. Snap tape has snaps at a short interval which makes it
difficult to match and close the garment on a moving target. Believe
me, babies are moving targets and rarely enjoy the process of being
dressed. I use snaps from the Snap Source which has the purple plastic
gadget for attaching them. The snaps worked well and could be attached
at a sane interval for dressing wee ones.

Marilyn