Dreaming of...Sewing?

Old April 14th 04, 06:59 PM
Charlotte

Kate Dicey wrote:

No. Partly it will be because you are healthier, so every sense may be
a little keener, partly you are more conscious of it, and partly it is
spring.

Aww, makes sense. I'm enjoying it!

How are you doing? I have another 32.5 to lose to reach my goal of 10
stone 3 lbs or five stone lost (about a third of my former body
weight!).

Wow! Good for you!
That's a really great effort, and what a payoff you'll see!

I don't really have a goal, this is much more qualitative. It occurred
to me I was eating because I was bored or wanted a break at work so my
plan was to cut that out, as well as unnecessary extra helpings. We had
three professionals in my ballet class one day which made me realize
that my snacking wasn't helping me any. However, I've made a point of
not involving a scale. So far the only things I've noticed is an
aversion to sweets and the increased sensitivity to smells. My salad
last night was the most fragrant dish I've eaten in a long long time!
The tomato was heavenly!

Congrats to you on a job well done (and continuing!)
-Charlotte

Old April 14th 04, 06:59 PM

Dreaming of...Sewing?

(mamahays)
wrote:=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0
I think perhaps y'all have hit the nail on the head. Earlier this year,
I altered most of my DM's clothes, letting out and adding ingenious
panels, gussets, etc, to allow for expanded girth, after listening to
endless "I can"t lose weight!" sob stories.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0WEEELlll, guess what? Not a garment worn, and she is
down 20 lbs. Whatever it is I do, I simply cannot break even, let alone
win. It never fails, there is always a kicker in it for me. Now, natch,
she wants them all taken in.
snip
---
Oh dear. *sigh* =A0 I remember when you were working on her clothes.
You did indeed put a WHOLE lot of work in that and managed things
previously unimaginable in the process. I was Impressed just by the
descriptions of what you were doing, so I know it was a ton of work.
I remember too that she's very particular about her clothing. Can you
hold her off till she's "done" losing weight?? Can you tell her that
some of the clothes can't be altered back? (Because you had to cut them
to fit her shape, not because your sewing skills stink---and you say it
that way too!)
---
sIGH. i'M oK, AM hAnDling It WEll...
Daggone it, losing weight is a good thing, I can't argue that, it was
the way she broached the issue: "None of those clothes you altered for
me fit!". There was a pregnant pause, then I reminded her that indeed
they had, because I had her try everything on after I had altered them,
and the fit was excellent.
After that, she fessed up to having lost weight. I am irritated at her
trying to put me on the defensive, instead of apologizing for all my
work having been in vain. She was looking for an apology from me. I also
know, if I alter them again, she will put that weight back on. I come
from a family of yo-yo dieters. Damn it, it was a rush job, too, and she
never wore a single item.
Unfortunately, she knows when I alter to make larger, the garment can
always be retro-fitted.
---
Just don't stew about her clothes, ok? You will make yourself sick.
---
Thanks, Doc. G I'm staying too busy for that; am finishing up a pile
of alterations for grateful, paying clients. Then I'm going to think
about making some linen clothes for myself-- a dress and jacket, and
some of those wide-legged, drawstring slacks which are so comfy for
airline flights. After I'm clothed for it, I may run away from home, as
you suggested.
Well, she is my Ma, you only get one of those, and I'll undoubtedly
cater to her, but I know I won't bump other business, nor will I stay up
late to rush the re-work sewing.
---
C'mon over to my house if you need to hide out. I promise to let you
have free rein in the kitchen and to share all my sewing room toys with
you.
---
WOW! I bow before you with awe! Sharing your toys! Brace yourself, I
may take you up on this!
---
I'll even let you reach all the stuff from the "high up" shelves for
me instead of getting the stepstool. LOL remembering a slightly snide
remark about my lack of height..... LOL
---
Heehee, just chalk it up to jealousy of your extreme youth and rare
beauty, as well as dismay over my own shrinking stature.
---
Chin up!! Go sew something fun for the GBebes. That will make you
feel
better.
Sharon
---
Deedy-Do, it will! I was too slammed to make Easter dresses for
them, and I feel as if I've missed out on a good thing. Little girls in
Eater finery is one of the sweetest things imaginable.
Hugs to you, you dear girl.
Cea

Old April 14th 04, 10:01 PM
Pat

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

I want to see the skinny pictures when you get there!!!! Good on you
Kate!!!
Pat S.

Old April 15th 04, 02:45 AM
Kate Dicey

Charlotte wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

[...]

Congratulations on recognising the trend and kicking it into touch
before a bigger waistband was needed! I'm attempting to slough off 20
years of neglect, I'm afraid! I need the discipline of the Weight
Watcher's meetings. I won't have lost this week: no daily walks this as
James is home for the Easter break, and with Easter weekend, I also
munched up most of a Lintz golden bunny... 200g of delish Swiss milk
chocolate! I did NOT eat it all myself, just most of it!
Old April 15th 04, 02:48 AM
Kate Dicey

Pat wrote:

How are you doing? I have another 32.5 to lose to reach my goal of 10
stone 3 lbs or five stone lost (about a third of my former body
weight!).
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

I want to see the skinny pictures when you get there!!!! Good on you
Kate!!!
Pat S.

You will! I shall publish a before and after set!
Old April 15th 04, 03:37 AM
AmazeR

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:59:52 -0400, sewingbythecea wrote:
snip

After that, she fessed up to having lost weight. I am irritated at her
trying to put me on the defensive, instead of apologizing for all my
work having been in vain. She was looking for an apology from me. I also
know, if I alter them again, she will put that weight back on. I come
from a family of yo-yo dieters. Damn it, it was a rush job, too, and she
never wore a single item.
Unfortunately, she knows when I alter to make larger, the garment can
always be retro-fitted.

Huh! Doesn't mean you're a doormat.. and I'd tell her so if she were my
mother.. or else tell her to get her own damn machine!

---
Just don't stew about her clothes, ok? You will make yourself sick.
---
Thanks, Doc. G I'm staying too busy for that; am finishing up a pile
of alterations for grateful, paying clients. Then I'm going to think
about making some linen clothes for myself-- a dress and jacket, and
some of those wide-legged, drawstring slacks which are so comfy for
airline flights. After I'm clothed for it, I may run away from home, as
you suggested.
Well, she is my Ma, you only get one of those, and I'll undoubtedly
cater to her, but I know I won't bump other business, nor will I stay up
late to rush the re-work sewing.

You could always tell her what the going rate for alterations is...
considering you have so much other sewing to do....

---
C'mon over to my house if you need to hide out. I promise to let you
have free rein in the kitchen and to share all my sewing room toys with
you.

snip

I'd offer a hiding place too... but I live in NZ.. maybe you could send
her off with a one way ticket to Timbuktu....

Glad you see the funny side...

Mavis

Old April 15th 04, 03:40 AM
AmazeR

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 02:48:44 +0100, Kate Dicey wrote:

Pat wrote:

How are you doing? I have another 32.5 to lose to reach my goal of 10
stone 3 lbs or five stone lost (about a third of my former body
weight!).

You know that means a whole new wardrobe don't you Kate?

Mavis

Old April 15th 04, 03:42 AM
AmazeR

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 02:45:50 +0100, Kate Dicey wrote:

Congratulations on recognising the trend and kicking it into touch
before a bigger waistband was needed! I'm attempting to slough off 20
years of neglect, I'm afraid! I need the discipline of the Weight
Watcher's meetings. I won't have lost this week: no daily walks this as
James is home for the Easter break, and with Easter weekend, I also
munched up most of a Lintz golden bunny... 200g of delish Swiss milk
chocolate! I did NOT eat it all myself, just most of it!

Somehow, chocolate, sweets and cakes don't tempt me that much.. But give
me a huge plate of salad and I'll be right there munching it down..

Strange but true..

Mavis
(who has the other problem.. keeping weight on!)
Old April 15th 04, 11:24 AM
Kate Dicey

Pat wrote:

How are you doing? I have another 32.5 to lose to reach my goal of 10
stone 3 lbs or five stone lost (about a third of my former body
weight!).

You know that means a whole new wardrobe don't you Kate?

Mavis

Oh, yes, of course! Watch this space...