Brother sewing machines

Old February 6th 04, 08:03 PM
Pogonip

Kate Dicey wrote:

After four and a half years of HAAAARD use (every day, sometimes for
hours at a time! I make quilts as well as sewing for others, and doing
household stuff for myself), I have a step motor problem: after
discussing this with my little man in the shop, he says: 'This is VERY
unusual', and 'I think this is a guarantee matter: I'll check the date
you bought it, but remember, we are only at the START of '04, and you
bought it in the autumn of '99!' Along with a sturdy machine, with HV
and the other top makes, you get a good guarantee, and when you buy from
the right place, you get every helpful service forever.

Now that you have the diagnosis, what is the prognosis?
Will this require overnight surgery, or is there a long
rehab program involved? It sounds to me like you've got a
terrific surgeon, and a right decent human bean. Did he
say that there would be a transplant? And if so, how long
a wait for an organ? I trust it doesn't require a donor.
Spare parts off the shelf. Do tell. How long will you
Viscount?
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old February 6th 04, 08:04 PM
Pogonip

David Harmon wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 02:10:02 -0800 in rec.crafts.textiles.sewing, Pogonip was alleged to have written:

Would you rather have a nice new Yugo, or a 30-year old
Bentley?

Which one does a better zig-zag?

The Bentley has a much better suspension.

Old February 6th 04, 08:22 PM

Pogonip wrote:

Yarn Forward wrote:

Why not spend a few extra dollars on a quality new machine, that will
probably last another 35 years, rather than a used one with an unknown
history, that may just cause even more frusration? Think of it as a
long term investment.

Would you rather have a nice new Yugo, or a 30-year old Bentley?

((((((((APPLAUSE))))))))))

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old February 6th 04, 11:15 PM
SewStorm

Would you rather have a nice new Yugo, or a 30-year old
Bentley?

Which one does a better zig-zag?

The Bentley has a much better suspension.

You mean that the Bentley HAS a suspension! LOL

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old February 7th 04, 09:38 AM
Kate Dicey

Pogonip wrote:

Now that you have the diagnosis, what is the prognosis?
Will this require overnight surgery, or is there a long
rehab program involved? It sounds to me like you've got a
terrific surgeon, and a right decent human bean. Did he
say that there would be a transplant? And if so, how long
a wait for an organ? I trust it doesn't require a donor.
Spare parts off the shelf. Do tell. How long will you
Viscount?
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

I'll be using the trusty old Viscount for a week or two: the part isn't
one they carry, as it isn't usually needed, so Wilf will need to order
it. He'll get the machine on his bench along with my samples and look
at it on Monday, and will let me know the time scale and possible costs
ASAP after that.

The Viscount is a joy to use most of the time: really impressive stitch
quality (as good
as the Lily and the old Singers, and as sturdy as the old Singers): I
just outgrew it's capabilities. You can guess how little I wanted it to
go out of the family by the fact that I gave it to Mum to use rather
than trading it in! It's real shortcomings are the lack of stitches
(fewer than 20 rather than 240 which can then be combined, flipped,
reversed, and made into monograms almost without number, and including
the 10 different buttonhole styles!) and the narrower swing of the
needle for zigzags. I find I'm missing the needle up/down option, the
slooooooow speed I can do with the Lily, and the fact that I don't have
to hold her reverse button in! Also, Lily's zip foot is the best ever,
too: I face
putting zips in with the less than optimal generic Singer type zip foot
or the Viscount one with which I cannot get as close for concealed
work. I did get it a special concealed zip foot when I owned it, but
this does NOT work as well as the Lily's hefty boot like item! I have
only 2 needle positions rather than the total of 26 I'm used to, as
well. Luckily, my light weight walking foot I bought for the Singers
works on this machine, as do all my other Singer attachments, so I'm not
totally machine crippled by the loss of use of my 32 HV feet and
attachments! One thing I do sorely miss is the extended flatbed area of
the Lily, with it's extra support to the left of the needle. There are
times I find this of far more use than the free arm option!

Why is it that whenever I have a problem with a machine, it's one that
no-one else has ever had with that model? Wilf gets this look in his
eye as if to say What weird thing has she brought me this time?
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old February 7th 04, 12:58 PM
Yarn Forward

Pogonip wrote:

Yarn Forward wrote:

Why not spend a few extra dollars on a quality new machine, that will
probably last another 35 years, rather than a used one with an unknown
history, that may just cause even more frusration? Think of it as a
long term investment.

Roger

Would you rather have a nice new Yugo, or a 30-year old Bentley?

How about a brand new Husqvarna Viking, made in Sweden, for about US$500.00?
Roger.

--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn Store

Old February 7th 04, 05:31 PM

Yarn Forward wrote:

Would you rather have a nice new Yugo, or a 30-year old Bentley?

How about a brand new Husqvarna Viking, made in Sweden, for about
US$500.00?

That's not a Yugo. The Simplicity, Brother, and Singer machines that
sell for $100-200 in WalMart and similar places are the Yugos.

Old February 7th 04, 08:54 PM
Pogonip

Kate Dicey wrote:
Why is it that whenever I have a problem with a machine, it's one that
no-one else has ever had with that model? Wilf gets this look in his
eye as if to say What weird thing has she brought me this time?

It is a corollary of Murphy's Law.

We all hope Wilf can get the part and get Lily on her feet
again soon. It does seem more and more necessary to have
a back-up machine, preferably one with sufficient bells
and whistles. When you have so much to do, it can be so
frustrating not to have the tools you need.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old February 7th 04, 08:58 PM
Pogonip

Yarn Forward wrote:

Pogonip wrote:

Yarn Forward wrote:

Why not spend a few extra dollars on a quality new machine, that will
probably last another 35 years, rather than a used one with an
unknown history, that may just cause even more frusration? Think of
it as a long term investment.

Roger

Would you rather have a nice new Yugo, or a 30-year old Bentley?

How about a brand new Husqvarna Viking, made in Sweden, for about
US$500.00?
Roger.

I'm sure it must be a lovely basic machine. But I already
have a Pfaff 1475 and some Singer 401As, 306s, and a
houseful of other, mostly straight-stitch, machines. Oh,
and my W&G chainstitch. And a Thompson mini-walking
foot... I've given up on the Singer hemstitching
machine. Too many machines!!!

And then there are the knitting machines.....
and computers.....