Hurricane Charley

Old August 20th 04, 03:58 PM
escapee

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:05:38 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
opined:

escapee wrote:

Yes, but then one would have to give credit for kids who turn out okay, right?
I disagree. I was not raised with any discipline, no social skills, no morality
to speak of, drug and alcohol abuse by both parents, my mother slept around, as
did my father, etc. I could give a long laundry list of things which today
would probably be cause for social services to remove me from my parents.

in Harlem who makes it as a doctor or lawyer. The bad seed who finally
matures and becomes a model citizen.

That doesn't negate what I'm talking about. Kudos to you for making it!

Dianne

We all have the inherent nature to do this. What I'm saying may sound like
"magical thinking" in sociological situations, but I truly believe it.
Character development is each and ever one of us, ours to develop. I remember a
few months ago we had a quasi discussion about existentialism. Taking
responsibility for one's own self. Development of self as civilized and
principled. We, each of us, have the responsibility and ability to do this
regardless our upbringing. I am no miracle. I worked hard in my life to
develop character. I continue to work hard, but it's not as hard as it was
because now I have the conditions in my life which don't test me constantly, or
cause me the stress which would test me. I can now live comfortable and deal
with each instance as it comes up, but I am a whole lot more equipped to do that
than people I know who had marvelous rearing.

Old August 20th 04, 03:59 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Deb

I'm not disagreeing with you at all.
I realize the majority of people and the majority of outages are only
very short term, sometimes only seconds.
Also, every area of the country is different!

I rememember a major electrical outage up north and into Canada a few
years back that was out much longer than it ever should have been,
because everyone kept blaming everyone else and no one could turn on
their generators to supply electricity to the grid until someone
before them did it first. Somebody had to be FIRST and nobody would
accept that responsiblity, so the electricity stayed off for hours.

A grid can be both a good and a bad thing. It's obvious, the way the
grid was established in that region with all the problems, whatever
system they used, it was not the right one!

Union Electric (now AmerenUE) is not on any major grid. They have
their local grids of course, and when have more power than needed can
supply a major grid, or vice versa when they are short. BUT they do
have the power to connect and disconnect from the major grid.

Residential transmission wiring is point to point and if any area
along this line is down, thousands of customers are down. It is rare
to find point to point wiring in electrical distribution systems.
Most are looped systems, so if the wire does break somewhere or a
connection fails it does not affect the end users, the homes being
served on that circuit.

You can picture it as your toy train set. How many toy train sets do
you see set up with a single piece of track with two open ends?
Rarely, more often than not they form a closed loop so you can keep
running the train around and around in a closed loop. If the track
comes apart in only one place, the train keeps going because the
electricity is not lost that powers it.

Aha, here is good one, remember the Christmas tree lights of days of
old, where if one goes out they all go out?
That's Union Electric's method of wiring the city!
Which is why we are out of electricity so often.

Most other electric companies use mini grids or continuous loops, so
the end user does not know how many times or if the line was broken
because it did not affect their supply of power.
Of course, this makes it VERY HARD for the electric company also in
finding broken wires until both ends are out.

But with modern technology and switches, many are going back to point
to point but with a switch to close the loop from the other direction
if a line breaks. Which explains your 3 second outages!

TTUL
Gary

Old August 20th 04, 04:03 PM
escapee

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:51:18 -0400, "Lucille"
opined:

Have you ever been to Harlem? There are some very respectful, hard working,
extremely interested in their kids education people, who are good citizens
living there.

The media rarely reports on the good families but has a field day with the
problems in the neighborhood.

There are clearly both whether you live in Harlem (which by the way have some of
the most magnificent brownstones in the nation) or if you live on West End
Avenue.

My mother grew up in Harlem. She went to an all girls public school. Her
mother worked very hard on Wall Street for many years. Worked for George
Herbert Walker, matter of fact at G.H.Walker (long gone).

Point is, you can be born into anything and still get out. I do think people
have this naive idea of what Harlem is. It happens to be a beautiful place, for
the most part. People who live downtown treat it as if it's rural! "Oh, up in
the sticks."

President Clinton came from poor. Probably low classed, as well. Father was a
drunk. I didn't read his book, but my husband did and I'm about to read it, but
talk about making lemonade.

Old August 20th 04, 06:28 PM
JiminyCricket

snipping
Then there's the dress code of teenagers. In my opinion, when a young

woman or
girl has a tattoo on the small of her back and she wears shirts short

enough and
pants low enough to see it, it means come and F me right here, right now.

Don't
buy me dinner, just F me. Nice stuff.

V, I know that I don't agree with you about much society/politics/&
such -- ain't that one of the great things about newsgroups -- you (general
people) can agree on the major topic (needlework) and disagree on other
things and if you're mature and reasonable you keep an open mind and then
find more things to agree on!! But I sure as heck agree with you on
anti-laziness, self-determination & stubbornness (that's what I call it),
and the slutty, overly-inviting clothing (or lack there of). I've even gone
so far as to tell my niece (now 18, started college this week!) that she
will not wear clothes that *I* think are inappropriate when she's staying
with us (not that she has a lot of these sort of clothes). I took her & DH
to a conference in Chicago with me 2 yrs ago, I reviewed her clothing before
we went (not obnoxiously, just wanted to make sure that she had what she
needed and that she clearly understood that she was a representative of ME
at this meeting and that I was positive that she was able to meet my
expectations).

We've gone to Cedar Point many times w/ DN & we've taken her to Walt Disney
World 2x -- I just don't get the way that so many young girls dress these
days -- I can't even call them "ladies" or "women" -- "ladies" have more
class & "women" have more sense!! I just have to agree with you -- the
outfits scream "throw me down and F me here, I don't need or want your
respect"

Sigh,
Climbing off that soapbox!!
Susan

Old August 20th 04, 07:36 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I used the term "Harlem" purposely to convey a stereotype to convey my
point. I could have just as easily referred to Cabrini Green, but many
might not know what/where that was.

There are miracles everywhere - the high school kid who makes it to
major league sports. Problem is, there are a million highschools, a
gazillion kids, and only a very few make it that far. We can't point to
miracles as proof of success.

My own life has seen its share of "miracles" as well as strife. Having
seen both sides, I'm open to the idea that not all is well (or awful).
I choose to see both sides.

Only time will tell if what some of us view as a declining civilization
will indeed cause major, further decline, or whether it is a "blip" with
little long-term significance. Certainly the discussion has merit.

Dianne

Old August 20th 04, 07:39 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

escapee wrote:
We all have the inherent nature to do this. What I'm saying may sound like
"magical thinking" in sociological situations, but I truly believe it.
Character development is each and ever one of us, ours to develop.

Not all of us are born equally. Some have the ability, some do not.

I continue to work hard, but it's not as hard as it was
because now I have the conditions in my life which don't test me constantly, or
cause me the stress which would test me. I can now live comfortable and deal
with each instance as it comes up, but I am a whole lot more equipped to do that
than people I know who had marvelous rearing.

And for some people, the stressors never stop. They go forward three
and back two. Some continue the fight, others give up, still others
just muddle through as best they can.

Dianne

Old August 20th 04, 08:38 PM
escapee

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:28:45 GMT, "JiminyCricket"
opined:

[...]

That's what I'm saying. The little girl across the street from us is 11. She
is absolutely beautiful. She has a modeling contract in New York with Ralph
Lauren. She is magnificent looking. At 11, I find it unbearably inappropriate
for a girl to wear shorts which the bottom of her tushie hangs out, and across
the back, it says "delicious." WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

I don't know many people more open minded or liberal than Mark and I, but even
we were taken back by that. I hate to break the news here, but kids are also at
that age giving one another oral favors and not in private, but on the BUS!
There is also a whole bracelet thing going on with different colors which mean
different things. One color will mean you go all the way, another means you only
go to third base...etc. I should see if I can find it...if I do I'll post the
citation.

Old August 20th 04, 08:43 PM
escapee

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:39:16 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
opined:

escapee wrote:
We all have the inherent nature to do this. What I'm saying may sound like
"magical thinking" in sociological situations, but I truly believe it.
Character development is each and ever one of us, ours to develop.

Not all of us are born equally. Some have the ability, some do not.

I continue to work hard, but it's not as hard as it was
because now I have the conditions in my life which don't test me constantly, or
cause me the stress which would test me. I can now live comfortable and deal
with each instance as it comes up, but I am a whole lot more equipped to do that
than people I know who had marvelous rearing.

And for some people, the stressors never stop. They go forward three
and back two. Some continue the fight, others give up, still others
just muddle through as best they can.

Dianne

Well, we have to disagree on this. I think we are all born of the same stuff.
What we do with it is ours to do. I firmly believe people create the conditions
they live in. I find people with continuous problems are in continuous chaotic
situations. I don't believe we are victims of nature. I believe we all have
the equal opportunity to reach our fullest potential. If stress never stops, I
think it's time for that person under those conditions to take a good hard look
at him or her self and figure out what they are doing to create these
conditions. If life is a constant fight, something is wrong and it can be
changed, amended or rectified with a modicum of self-honesty.

Old August 20th 04, 08:46 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"JiminyCricket" had some very interesting
things to say about Hurricane Charley:

We've gone to Cedar Point many times w/ DN & we've taken her to Walt Disney
World 2x -- I just don't get the way that so many young girls dress these
days -- I can't even call them "ladies" or "women" -- "ladies" have more
class & "women" have more sense!! I just have to agree with you -- the
outfits scream "throw me down and F me here, I don't need or want your
respect"

Given what teens/early-20s girls tend to not wear these days, I'm
still trying to figure out what hookers wear to distinguish them from
the amateurs. :-)

Old August 20th 04, 08:52 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"JiminyCricket" had some very interesting
things to say about Hurricane Charley:

We've gone to Cedar Point many times w/ DN & we've taken her to Walt Disney
World 2x -- I just don't get the way that so many young girls dress these
days -- I can't even call them "ladies" or "women" -- "ladies" have more
class & "women" have more sense!! I just have to agree with you -- the
outfits scream "throw me down and F me here, I don't need or want your
respect"

Sorry to pick on you twice :-), but I just remembered [*after* I hit
"Send", of course] something relevant.

A few days ago, the Sacramento Bee had an article about fashion in the
relevant age group this fall, and they're getting more modest.
Apparently, even teenage boys are complaining that they dislike all
the overexposure. :-)

See
http://www.sacbee.com/content/lifest...11337494c.html
for the story.