Hurricane Charley

Old August 19th 04, 12:08 AM
Ruby

I was thinking, LOL!, it being California That everyone but me just has ESP.
LOL!
I was really impressed with San Diego. Many people from our area go to
Florida for the winter but it has never appealed to me as it is so humid.
( I have visited several times) But could actually see myself in San Diego.
Loved the weather as it was just like those hot, but not unbearably, August
days we used to get where I grew up. Nice dry heat and cools down nicely
after dark. The desert effect I expect. I had a wonderful flight down in a
window seat and it was clear most of the way. It was like a tour of the
country. Whow!
Seriously I think the driving habits are just reflecting the population, the
"me generation" are on the highways in large numbers now.
ruby
"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
Ruby wrote:
I did notice during my visit in San Diego recently that very, very few
people use their signal lights, rarely did I see them used. It was

almost
as if there was a law against it or something or everyone had ESP.

Terrible
tailgaters as well down there regardless of how light the traffic was.

saw a bumper sticker years ago that read in smallish print " If you

can
read this you are to close" I told DD that I would have a look around

and
if I found one I would send it to her.

Driving in the U.S.: Courtesy and knowing the rules of the road have
deteriorated over the past 20 or so years.

I was walking with a baby stroller. At the crosswalk, a driver ed car
nearly hit me. The teacher hollered at me for stepping into the
crosswalk while a car was coming. Did I forget to mention the car had a
stop street at a major intersection? I was furious and nearly went to
see the superintendent of schools, but knew it would fall on deaf ears.

Yes, tailgating is the rule, no matter your speed. It is getting awful.
I blame driver's ed and parenting.

Dianne

Old August 19th 04, 01:01 AM
Lucille

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message

Driving in the U.S.: Courtesy and knowing the rules of the road have
deteriorated over the past 20 or so years.

I was walking with a baby stroller. At the crosswalk, a driver ed car
nearly hit me. The teacher hollered at me for stepping into the
crosswalk while a car was coming. Did I forget to mention the car had a
stop street at a major intersection? I was furious and nearly went to
see the superintendent of schools, but knew it would fall on deaf ears.

I would think you wouldn't have gotten so angry since a driver ed car is
very likely being driven by an inexperienced student driver who may not be
sure of himself yet. And possibly the instructor lost it because he was
upset with his student for not stopping at the stop sign, and with you for
not respecting the fact that a car is bigger than you and trusting that
every car would follow the rules and stop. It could be that he was
exasperated with both of you.

I got yelled at years ago for putting the baby carriage ahead of me into the
street and was told I should have turned around and stepped into the street
backward, while holding the carriage on the sidewalk, to be sure there was
nothing coming.

You seem to have an awful time with modern parenting. I'm sorry you don't
know any nice families with well behaved children. I know they're out there
so maybe you need to look for them

Lucille

Old August 19th 04, 01:08 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Ruby

When traveling the highways I dont' tailgate and usually leave the
proper amount of room between me and the car in front of me, so that
if they come to a sudden stop, I have plenty of time to stop myself.

But on metropolitan roads, if you leave a 4 car space 5 cars will
squeeze into it.

From a scientific viewpoint, being tailgated is MUCH SAFER than being
followed from any distance less than enough to stop in.
The reason this is so is because of momentum (inertia) and impact.

If two cars are traveling at 45 mph, allowing a 1.7 second reaction
time for braking.
A car is following 1 carlength behind you will only have an 8 to 10
mph difference in your speeds.
But a car that is following 3 carlengths behind you will impact your
rear end at roughly a 30 to 35 mph difference in your speeds.

Which will do the most damage and cause the most whiplash to you,
being struck at 9 mph or at 33 mph?

At 45 mph, unless 5 full carlengths are left between the cars, they
ARE going to hit each other. So wouldn't that make anyone following
behind you less than a safe distance away a tailgater?

I would much prefer the tailgater right on my back bumper than one 2
carlengths behind me. Because if I have to stop, in both of the
cases, I'm going to get rear ended. The further back they are, the
greater that impact is going to be. Times how slow their reaction
time is.

TTUL
Gary

Old August 19th 04, 02:04 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Nice try, Lucille. That wasn't the situation. I was there. They don't
teach students, anymore, that you stop the car BEFORE the cross walk.
Watch for pedestrians. THEN proceed to the corner.

How many cars do you see doing that anymore? I always do, unless I have
a clear view and have looked beforehand. I always stop short of the
sidewalk when coming out of our driveway. I've had neighbors ask me why
I do this!!

They simply aren't teaching courtesy anymore. I can't tell you the
number of adults who honk their horns, give me the finger, because I
DARED step into the cross walk when they think they have the rights of
the road all to themselves and pedestrians beware.

Dianne

Old August 19th 04, 02:29 PM
Becky Andresen

Here in Norway, there are striped crossings in the middle of long stretches
of road. And if a driver sees somebody at the crossing, the driver STOPS.
I have yet to see a car that has not stopped for somebody to cross even a
two-way road. And from asking around, it's incredibly uncommon for a car
not to stop.

They drive like maniacs, but at least they stop for pedestrians. And are so
polite!
Becky A.

"Dianne Lewandowski" skrev i melding

Old August 19th 04, 04:20 PM
Lucille

Sorry Dianne but here in FL, and back in NY, they still do teach properly.
The fact that some people, young and old, don't follow the rules and/or some
people don't remember the rules, does not mean it wasn't taught correctly.

It's time for you to accept the fact that we live in an imperfect world,
with imperfect people.

It's a good thing to try to change everything for the better, but if you
would lighten up a bit it would probably help your blood pressure a lot, and
I suspect the blood pressure of those around you.

Keep posting these notes though, and of course your expert advice on
needlework, because I love to wrestle with you.

Lucille

Old August 19th 04, 06:35 PM
escapee

One of the things I had to get used to, down here in Texas, was the courtesy
expressed by most drivers. An example is: If you are in the Walmart or any
shopping center, the motorist will stop and give pedestrians the right of
way.This is not an occasional nicety, it's the rule. Another thing down here is
the way people let you in if you are in the wrong lane. Very delightful. Maybe
it's the charm of the south, I don't know. It's a nice thing to have to get
used to. Up in NY, you were lucky the cars didn't run you down while trying to
navigate a parking lot on foot.

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:04:10 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
opined:

Old August 19th 04, 06:39 PM
escapee

Actually, I agree. I learned how to drive in NY and you are supposed to stop
behind the first line, not IN the crosswalk. Tires must be behind the line. If
you look, there is always a line, then the two lines which outline the
crosswalk.

When I took my written test to get my TX license, this was one of the questions.
Where do you stop when approaching the corner. The correct answer was to stop
with your front tire behind the first white line.

Many people are rude, or just don't care about anyone but themselves and their
own comfort. OR, they didn't grow up in the city and don't realize there is
three lines on the roadway.

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:20:19 -0400, "Lucille"
opined:

Old August 19th 04, 06:52 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Lucille wrote:

Sorry Dianne but here in FL, and back in NY, they still do teach properly.
The fact that some people, young and old, don't follow the rules and/or some
people don't remember the rules, does not mean it wasn't taught correctly.

And you know that every single school in the entire states of Florida
and NY teach the proper rules and instill it vigorously because you are
single-handedly knowledgeable about all of them?

I wasn't talking about the entire world. I was talking about my corner
of the world. And a few other places I've visited, or lived in. You
get to talk about your "corner" and others you know personally about.

It is not possible to raise children in a courteous environment both in
the home and at school and have them behave like primitives when they
suddenly become 18. Somebody is not doing the job somewhere along the
line. An awful lot of adults are sending the message that it's "OK" to
be self-centered and do your own thing when it pleases you, to hell with
everyone else and to hell with the rules.

Dianne

Old August 19th 04, 07:15 PM
Lucille

I'm really sorry you're so unhappy so much of the time. I never, ever
professed to know all the answers for all over the place, but some of us see
the cup as half full and some half empty.

I generally try to look for the good in life and I learned a very difficult
lesson on life in general. It's most always better not to "sweat the small
stuff." However, if that's what keeps your adrenaline flowing, have fun.
Or as the kids around here say it "Whatever floats your boat."

It's raining here for a change so since I'm in a Pollyanna mood, I'll say:
"There good in the rain, it's watering the lawn."

Have a great day !!

Lucille