New Hampshire Quilt

Old July 23rd 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
judyanna

Default New Hampshire Quilt

Hi everyone

I finally finished another one! This one for my friend who invites us
up to her other home in NH. Just came home from a very nice vacation
there.

This is my first big quilt done in free motion quilting (It doesn't
show up in the pictures) But I tried to quilt The Old Man in the
Mountains (the NH symbol, now gone) in one of the blocks. It was okay,
could've been better, but it was an attempt! This quilt made itself -
I had another idea when I started then I started finding mountain
climbing fabric, and other things, like the heron and the loon which
she loves, and the moose to remember our "moose hunting" and finding
one last year (found another one this year).

Hopefully this is the link - (the album is called New Hampshire
Quilt) I'm still not too sure about this stuff:

http://community.webshots.com/user/judyanna6

Judy from Mass

Old July 24th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Judy:
WTG! Good use of theme fabric ... your friends will be delighted!
PAT in VA/USA

Old July 24th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

great job!! i like the setting.

amy in CNY

Old July 24th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

Judy, I can't view webshots on my webtv, but I have forwarded your NH
quilt to my computer so I can see it there. Where is your friend's camp
? Is it in the White Mountains somewhere, or around the Lakes region?
It's all beautiful country up there.

My girlfriend just made a NH quilt too. She found moose, loons, etc and
sashed them with "bark" material. She made an Old Man of the Mountains
block too. She drew the outline of the "old man" first, then filled it
in with randomly cut pieces of variegated dark gray granite looking
material, then fused it together and satin stitched around the edges.
It came out incredibly good. I told her that she should make another
block of a pile of granite rubble to represent the 'old man" after the
fall, but she didn't go for that. I'm really anxious to see yours,
maybe tonight I'll fire up the old computer. Love my webtv.

For those of you who don't know of "The Old Man of the Mountains", it's
in the NH White Mountain range. It's a naturally occurring profile of
an old man on the side of a mountain, ( look on the NH state quarters)
it's been there forever, but had been reinforced by cables for many
years. A few years ago, the poor old guy just got tired and fell off.
It was a real blow to us NH folks who used to go visit him every year.

Denise

Old July 24th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
judyanna wrote:

[...]

What a great memory quilt, Judy!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old July 25th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:25:49 -0500, judyanna wrote
(in article
):

[...]

Very nice!

Maureen

Old July 25th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
judyanna

Denise,
Hi. I didn't make an "Old Man" block - I sort of thought of that
after! I tried to quilt him into one of the blocks (the quilting
doesn't show up in the photos, the rest of the quilt is free motion) I
wonder if your friend and I used some of the same fabric! My sashing
and the whole back is trees, though.
My friend has a year round house in the Mt. Washington Valley. Around
her pond you can see Mt. Whittier, the Cranmores and another one
(can't remember the name) In the distance on a clear day you can see
Mr. Washington from the deck of her house. It's beautiful. The pond is
spring fed, with no power vehicles allowed, so it's quiet and nice.
We went "moose hunting" and found one but it was too dark for a
picture.

Judy