Opinions please....quilt top into duvet cover??

Old February 12th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sara L.

Default Opinions please....quilt top into duvet cover??

Hi everyone,
I haven't been on here in a long time since I graduated and moved and
got a new job. But I'm back and I have a dilemma of sorts.
I'm working on the Diamond Jubilee quilt from last years "Quilts With
Style" magazine. I love to piece quilt tops but I'm not crazy about the
actual quilting. Also, I have a down comforter that I love and am not real
likely to use a quilt on top of it year round. So, here's my actual
question: Do you think I could make the quilt top into a duvet cover???
Here's what I'm thinking....I could finish the top, quilt in the ditch
to a backing without any batting. That would stabilize the top. Then take
that and sew it to another large backing along 3 edges and bind around it
all. Buttons along the top, and that would make a duvet cover.
Please let me know what you all think of this...would it work? Would you
change something? Etc.etc...
Thanks so much in advance!!
Sara in WV

Old February 12th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

hmmmm, i think i'd make the quilt so it only attaches to the duvet cover for
ease of separate washing. also means you'd be able to use it elsewhere on
its own if you wanted to anytime.
just my 2 cents,
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Sara L." no e-mail wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old February 12th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I have done almost exactly what you suggest, Sara. What I did
differently was to sew press stud tape all around. That meant that the
pieced top didn't have to get washed so much. The raw edges of the
'backing' were sewn under the press stud tape. I didn't bind the two
top layers, just turned the edges in and under the other half of the
press stud tape.
..
In message , Sara L.
writes
[...]

http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 12th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna

I've seen this done and it looks fine. Quilting in the ditch is still
quilting. So what you are suggesting is still making a quilt. Your just
adding another backing to cover your duvet. I would just stitch in the
ditch and use it as a summer quilt. But if you don't use a different
quilt depending on the seasons I think go ahead and make the cover. I'm
one for using quilts rather than them being stuck in a closet somewhere.
So what ever makes you happy.
Take Care
Joanna

Old February 12th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sara L.

Sara L. wrote:
[...]
Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Yes, I feel the same about using them, that's why I wanted to try making a
top into a cover, since I use the comforter all year long.
I see what you mean about it still technically being a quilt....my thought
was that a pieced top would need some sort of stabilization under it and
would need to be stitched down....what do you think? I just feel like I'm
not all that creative or experienced yet to know what other designs I want
to quilt and once I get the top pieced, I feel like I want it to be
completely done already!

Thanks for all your suggestions so far!!
Sara in WV

Old February 12th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:38:40 -0500, "Sara L." no e-mail wrote:

[...]

It should work nicely. My understanding of a duvet cover is something
like a giant pillow case with the addition of some form of closure at
the open end. You could use snaps or velcro instead of buttons if you
think the buttons might annoy you. You could also make it rather more
like an envelope, so you fold a bit of the back of the cover over the
front and then button down.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old February 13th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TwinMom

Two ideas come to mind on this, coming from my own store bought duvet cover.
1) Move the opening down about 12-18" from the edge on the back and use a
flap to attach the buttons and button holes. It's a little more work, but
having the flap moved down gives more room for the buttons, less wear and
tear on them and you don't rub them while sleeping.
2) Put little ties (or similar) inside the corners to secure your comforter.
It will keep the comforter from slipping around.

Other than that, have fun!!!

Old February 13th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna

Default Sara Opinions please....quilt top into duvet cover??

I think you are right I would back the top with something, even cheap
fabric just to prevent wear and tear. Duvet covers do move a lot.

But don't worry about just doing stitch in the ditch. I did that for
about 4 or 5 years before I learned anything else. In fact it's only
recently that I seem to be able to do free motion quilting. Trust me I
tried many many times and it was horrible. So I'm still content with
SITD. I was more interested in mastering piecing first. If you do decide
to back you don't need batting between the top and cheap piece. You also
don't need to do a whole lot of stitching in the ditch because it won't
be to hold the batting in place. You could just do a bit in the middle
and around the edges to make it lay flat.

I also like someone else's suggestion that you use like a double fold at
the end that is going to open. I also would not use buttons I would use
infant snap tape. They are little snaps that come all ready sewn on
tape. You just have to buy the amount you need. If you choose to use any
fasteners at all. Some have suggested if you use the snap tape get the
plastic ones not the metal, as the metal can rust and ruin the material
it's close too.

My true preference is to sew a loop on all four corners of the duvet,
then but a tiny amount of either velcor or very small buttons where the
duvet would attach inside at the corners. This stops the duvet from
moving or bunching up in the middle of the cover. If you do the corners
like that then you don't need the snap tape at the closing, you can just
do the double fold thing. I know this is probably clear as mud but maybe
someone else can explain it a little better than I.

Don't worry about being creative enough or experienced enough. How do
you think most of us have learned? Trial and error. This group is great
for advice but you still need to find what you are comfortable with. I
would have never dreamed even a year ago that I could do free motion
quilting. Tried so many times and failed. Now it seems easy. So if you
like something keep trying. If you don't like it then don't. I too still
think I lack in the design part, or even picking colors some times. I
always ask for help but the final desicion is mine. And I can honestly
say I have never regretted trying anything. It's always a learning
experience and fun too.
Take Care
Joanna
remove quilt to reply

Old February 13th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

1) Move the opening down about 12-18" from the edge on the back and use a
flap to attach the buttons and button holes. It's a little more work, but
having the flap moved down gives more room for the buttons, less wear and
tear on them and you don't rub them while sleeping.

but if you put the buttons at the foot end, they don't rub whilst sleeping,
move them up and they's be at your toes or ankles.

Anne

Old February 13th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TwinMom

Sorry I wasn't clear! Down from the top, and face them toward the inside
(button facing in so it is on the inside of the flap and buttons kinda
backward toward the center) if that makes any sense. I had one cover that
had bottom buttons and they took a lot of stress and many popped off because
the comforter would bunch up down there and pull at the opening. When the
opening is moved down from the top, you don't really feel them. I suppose it
could be anywhere (like knee area maybe) as long as the flap tucks them in.
Just my experience anyway. YMMV :-)

making a duvet cover Myrna Sewing 5 March 1st 06 05:04 PM
Quilt Central TV : quilted pillow cover with picture of dog printed on the fabric Cobo Quilting 0 May 2nd 04 02:41 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM
My first "real" Quilt -- LOL Kathy in CA Quilting 2 August 12th 03 10:28 PM