Firehouse Angel Update

Old May 17th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Firehouse Angel Info -- was Update

On Wed, 17 May 2006 12:38:41 -0400, Tia Mary
wrote:

Joan E. wrote:
Didn't Vic purchase all the materials? If she did, maybe (since she
doesn't seem to be responding to this thread) we should offer them back
to her or at least ask her what she'd like done with them. .....
I'm going to put the piece wayyyyyy up high on top of something so
that the SMDGD can't get her grubby little 3 y.o. kid paws on it --

That sweet little angel couldn't *possibly* have grubby little paws!!!!

Joan

Joan -- the SMDGD is three -- of course she has grubby little paws -- LOLOL!

As for the fibers, etc. IIRC, Victoria purchased the DMC and the
Needlepaints and someone else bought the beads, braid & metallics. If
anything is returned to Vic, it will be ONLY those things she purchased.
If that means I have to unwind all of those bobbins then that's what I
will do. I can be extremely petty and vindictive when I feel the need
-- LOL! I have an offer from someone to purchase everything but the
Needlepaints if Victoria will agree to give up the DMC. If not, then
other arrangements can be made with this person. I will post separately
about this just to make sure that all concerned have the info. CiaoMeow
^;;^

You didn't wind the bobbins, I did. Maybe you forgot. I would like
the remaining DMC and Needlepaints. All of my DMC was winded on
bobbins which I bought and wound myself. Also, the rings which held
the bobbins. You are so petty it's beyond belief. If you don't want
to send it to me, stuff it.
Old May 17th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On 17 May 2006 10:13:29 -0700, "Twinsmom"
wrote:

You, Victoria. I offered to purchase the leftover supplies because I
have the Angel pattern and the Needlepaints in my stash to do, and this
seemed like a good opportunity to acquire the beads and metallics and
support a good cause all at once. I certainly didn't mean to upset you
or start an argument and thought this might be an acceptable
compromise.

Carolyn

You didn't do anything at all wrong. Nobody is wrong. The question
was who wants the remainder of materials and I asked for the things I
contributed. That's all.

Old May 17th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On 17 May 2006 10:21:24 -0700, "
wrote:

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
wrote:
I know she ticked you all off royally time and again, but that doesn't
mean she doesn't deserve to be mentioned by name for what she did
contribute. Surely, typing Victoria isn't any harder than typing
"someone."

Victoria insisted that her name be removed from the website and any
material that might accompany the angel to its final recipients. She
threatened me by email because I didn't get her name off the site fast
enough. Is that good enough reason for you?

And no . . . nobody took over the project. We have acted as a group
from day one, and decisions have been a democratic process.

Dianne

So decisions have actually been made? The endless bickering on how to
frame it and present it are over then?

I don't recall Victoria ever stating that she didn't want her leftover
materials back when she washed her hands of the ongoing project. I
don't believe that asking to have her name removed from your website
also means that she wishes to be an anonymous someone who doesn't
deserve the return of any leftover materials she purchased. I have
read enough of the bickering threads to know that things got very very
petty, but I'd hoped that it wouldn't get this bad.

Caryn

I repeatedly asked to be taken off the website, my name, and links to
my email (if I remember, which I don't). If I was going to stitch the
whole thing myself (which I set out to do before I made the mistake of
sharing this with anyone from rctn) I had every intention of being
anonymous. I don't need the FDNY or NYPD to know who I am. Eh, no
worries. I'd like the Needlepaints and DMC, my bobbins, and rings. I
don't think that's unreasonable.
Old May 17th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jangchub wrote:
On 17 May 2006 10:21:24 -0700, "
wrote:

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
wrote:
[...]

If this was a group of reasonable people.....

And before someone attacks me for being "unreasonable" I freely admit
to being so at times.

Caryn (not one of the "perfect" people)

Old May 17th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On 17 May 2006 11:39:44 -0700, "
wrote:

I repeatedly asked to be taken off the website, my name, and links to
my email (if I remember, which I don't). If I was going to stitch the
whole thing myself (which I set out to do before I made the mistake of
sharing this with anyone from rctn) I had every intention of being
anonymous. I don't need the FDNY or NYPD to know who I am. Eh, no
worries. I'd like the Needlepaints and DMC, my bobbins, and rings. I
don't think that's unreasonable.

If this was a group of reasonable people.....

And before someone attacks me for being "unreasonable" I freely admit
to being so at times.

Caryn (not one of the "perfect" people)

If I recall, I wanted the angel back because I got a bit afraid it
would never be finished. That was over a year ago. I was told this
wasn't MY project, it belonged to everyone. Well, no, it didn't. It
was a project I started and invited people to share in. The "pack"
said they would not send it to me because they thought I'd steal it
from them and not finish it. This is all so petty.

Ya know what, never mind. Please Tia Mary, don't send me any of it.
I changed my mind now. Auction it off, sell it or give it away to
someone else. I am deeply sorry I got back into this thread. Do
whatever you want.
Old May 17th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jangchub wrote:
On 17 May 2006 11:39:44 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

With all the petty nonsense and other bad feelings associated with
those fibers, perhaps it is better for your overall health (mental,
spiritual and physical) that you don't get them back again?

I'd think, now more than ever, you'd want to eliminate negative
energies from your life.

Caryn

Old May 17th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I have watched the progress of Firehouse Angel since the beginning and
have nothing but awe for the wonderful work you all have done. I would
like to contribute to the framing. Tia Mary, please email me
) when you have some working numbers. Thanks.

Crewelwoman

Tia Mary wrote:
Twinsmom wrote:

Why don't you see what the framer suggests about attaching the papers?
Have we decided about the chart itself? I think most of us had signed
and dated close to the spot that we stitched. That wouldn't need to be
on the back with the progress, but perhaps sandwiched inside? I just
kinda feel the chart should go with her. And I love the idea of a
small plaque. I hope that's able to be worked out.

If no one else is interested in the beads and fibers that were left
over and you decide against an auction, I'd be happy to purchase them.
I actually have the chart in my to-do pile, so they would be put to
good use.
Carolyn

If no one else has any ideas about what to do with the fibers, etc.
I would *really* like to know that they have purchased by someone who
will use them to do another Angel :-)! Besides, that would be a bit
more moolah to go towards the framing costs!!
I'll make sure I discuss a plaque with whoever does the framing. I
also really like the whole idea and would prefer that it is attached to
the frame or the matte if a matte is used. What about the idea of an
envelope of some sort attached to the back? Does everyone like that
idea? Having the chart included with the piece is also a nice touch. I
haven't looked at the chart yet so I'm not sure what has been written on
it! I'm going to put the piece wayyyyyy up high on top of something so
that the SMDGD can't get her grubby little 3 y.o. kid paws on it --
LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old May 17th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On 17 May 2006 12:53:16 -0700, "
wrote:

With all the petty nonsense and other bad feelings associated with
those fibers, perhaps it is better for your overall health (mental,
spiritual and physical) that you don't get them back again?

I'd think, now more than ever, you'd want to eliminate negative
energies from your life.

Caryn

You are very wise and this is excellent advice.

Old May 17th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jangchub wrote:
You didn't wind the bobbins, I did. Maybe you forgot. I would like
the remaining DMC and Needlepaints. All of my DMC was winded on
bobbins which I bought and wound myself. Also, the rings which held
the bobbins. You are so petty it's beyond belief. If you don't want
to send it to me, stuff it.

Yep -- I SAID I could be petty -- and vindictive too -- so that's no
surprise :-)! I shan't argue with you. I have the rings and the little
plastic bags that the bobbins were in and I shall send them back to you
if you don't make other arrangements with Carolyn. What about the
chart, did you provide the chart? If so, I shall include that in the
package once all work has been completed on the Angel.
Old May 17th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

wrote:
... I took the time, all on my own, at one point to research the existence
of a museum in NY dedicated to it's fire department. I found one and
presented you all with the information. I know I didn't get involved
in "the actual work" but I did try to contribute something helpful.
Firehouses are dirty places full of diesel exhaust and fire fighters
covered in soot upon their return from a fire, while museums are
usually kept in pristine shape. Those who did "the actual work" seem
to prefer that it hang someplace dirty...go figure!

Caryn

Well, if you had read my posts you would have seen that I repeatedly
referred to the FDNY HQ or Headquarters as being recipient of the Angel.
We had this discussion ages ago (which is likely why any suggestions
you made were not remembered) and most everyone agreed that Headquarters
would be the place to PRESENT the Angel to. Once they have it, they can
do what they want with it and they might decide to put it in the museum
that you found "all on your own". One problem with giving the piece to
an individual Firehouse was to decide which firehouse should get it. I
believe that Vic had originally thought the house that suffered the most
losses would be the recipient. After discussion, most of us (Vic
included) agreed that this would sort of ignore the losses suffered by
the other houses and that's when giving the piece to Headquarters became
a viable option.
As for opinions, I was thinking along the lines of exactly how to
frame the piece. I truly believe that the people who contributed to the
piece -- either by working on it or providing supplies -- are the ones
who have final say on how the piece should be framed. I have at least a
half dozen people on the list of those who are willing to contribute
money and their frame vote will be as important as those who did the
actual stitching. I'm sorry if that's upsetting but the line has to be
drawn somewhere -- there's just too many people on RCTN to try and
consider the opinions of everyone.
This doesn't mean everyone can't offer a suggestion -- several
suggestions have been made by folks not involved and they have been GOOD
suggestions and did have an impact on final decisions. I will try to
get links for the different frame choices and I will post them to the
group. Everyone can tell us which they think is best but if it comes
down to a vote, the choice of people involved in the project will the
deciding factor.
As for asking if anyone KNEW someone in the FDNY, I certainly didn't
ask that question. I asked if there was anyone who lives in or near NYC
who would be willing to go to FDNY HQ and present the finished piece.
Presentation of the piece is no longer something that can easily be done
anonymously. I am sure that someone at HQ will have to be contacted so
that we can set up an appropriate time for presentation of the Angel. I
DID say that I would contact my local fire station and ask them about
who I should contact at the FDNY HQ.