Hope someone can help...

Old October 2nd 03, 02:28 AM
Marie

Default Hope someone can help...

I posted this question on a parenting ng, someone there suggested I might
find an answer here...

I am a busy mom of twin 5 month old boys. I am wanting to crochet some
simple hats (and maybe some mitts) for my babies, but I am having *no* luck
finding any patterns: almost everything
out there is for knitting, and the few crochet ones I find are *way* too
girly for my boys. Anyone know of any on-line sites that provide simple
crochet patterns? Or a book of patterns I might find through my local
library?

Alternatively, can anyone tell me the proper increase ratio for crocheting a
simple toque? Every time I try I either increase too much and end up with a
frilly doily instead of a hat, or increase too little and wind up with dunce
caps (not what I want my boys wearing ;-P ). I am spiralling out from the
top/centre.

TIA

Marie

Old October 2nd 03, 05:44 AM
MouseCLP

Hi Marie, and welcome. And 5-month-old twin boys! Wow! Describing yourself
as "busy" is probably an understatement.

My first recommendation for finding crochet patterns is always Stargazers' site

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/links.html
Look under "Crochet for babies."

For a spiral working out from the center, I usually use multiples of six --
first round is 6 sc (US term), second round is 2 sc in each st (12 sc), third
round is *sc in next, 2 sc in the next, repeat from * around (18 sc), and so
on. Row 4 = 24 sts, Row 5 = 30 sts. After about the 5th or 6th row, I work
one row even to start the cup shaping, then work more increase rows, adding 6
sts to each round. When it's about the diameter of baby's head, work even til
it's long enough to cover baby's ears -- another inch or two if you want to
fold up a cuff.

Another easy, and more boyish, hat is a stocking cap (also called a toboggan).
Make your starting chain the length you want the hat from crown to bottom edge,
plus a cuff if you want it. Row 1: Sc in each st. Ch 1, turn. Row 2: Sc in
both loops of first st, sc in back loop only of each st to last st, sc in both
loops of last st. Ch 1, turn. Repeat row 2 til it's not quite the measurement
around the baby's head (since it will stretch). Leaving a long end of yarn,
sew (or slip stitch if you hate sewing as much as I do) the last row to the
first row, then weave the yarn through to gather the ends of the rows for the
crown and fasten it securely. Add a pom or a curly-q or whatever you like at
the top.

Be creative and have fun -- in a few short years they'll be telling you what
they will and WON'T wear! LOL

Still stitchin' and smilin'
Carol in SC

Old October 2nd 03, 07:40 AM
Anna MCM

Marie wrote:

I posted this question on a parenting ng, someone there suggested I might
find an answer here...

I am a busy mom of twin 5 month old boys. I am wanting to crochet some
simple hats (and maybe some mitts) for my babies, but I am having *no* luck
finding any patterns: almost everything
out there is for knitting, and the few crochet ones I find are *way* too
girly for my boys. Anyone know of any on-line sites that provide simple
crochet patterns? Or a book of patterns I might find through my local
library?

Hi Marie and welcome!

In addition to the two patterns by Carol (I made the second one and it´s
simply great) you can search in the library for Betty Barden, "Crochet
for babies and toddlers", ISBN 1-56477-419-8.
There you can find a pattern for two very cute hats, both based on the
same basic pattern, on pages 82-87. One is called rabbit hat and the
other fruit hat :-)
I never tried the pattern myself, but I like it a lot.

Bye,

Anna Maria
Old October 2nd 03, 07:47 PM
NoraBalcer

Carol,

I just checked that site and wow what a great page of exchange squares to make,
lots of 6x6 ideas there if anyone needs any.

Hugs,

Nora
Old October 5th 03, 06:14 AM
RigPilot

Marie,

Guy's Cap and Scarf Set
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/...mtbrand=AOL_US

Hats/Headbands for WF
http://www.warmingfamilies.org/wf-hats.html

"Marie" wrote in message
ogers.com...
I posted this question on a parenting ng, someone there

suggested I might
find an answer here...

I am a busy mom of twin 5 month old boys. I am wanting to

crochet some
simple hats (and maybe some mitts) for my babies, but I am

having *no* luck
finding any patterns: almost everything
out there is for knitting, and the few crochet ones I find

are *way* too
girly for my boys. Anyone know of any on-line sites that

provide simple
crochet patterns?

---
9/29/03

Old October 5th 03, 04:52 PM
NoraBalcer

Thanks for the sites, I've saved the second one with all the crocheted hats.

Nora