Japanese (coil?) wedging problems

Old May 15th 05, 02:35 PM
Bubbles

Default Japanese (coil?) wedging problems

Hi everyone!

I have been trying to learn to do the japanese wedging. It looks soooo
simple and relaxing when my teacher does it, but I just can't get the hang
of it. While her wedged pieces have a lovely knob in the middle and the clay
goes neatly back from the coil, I have a hole in the middle making a
potential air source.

Anyone have any links to good, illustrated instructions - or to somewhere
where there are examples of wedging wrongly and why it is wrong?

Marianne

Old May 16th 05, 07:29 AM
Steve Mills

I had the same problem for years :-)
it requires a small shift towards the centre in the way you apply
pressure. difficult to describe but that's how I solved it.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Bubbles
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old May 20th 05, 08:18 AM
Lee In Mashiko, Japan

Make sure, when you pull the cone back, to puts in on the flat with
your left hand and pullup a little with your right. Maybe this is
the same as Steve saying to bring it to the center.

Also, make sure the clay is soft enough.

--
=E6=9D=8E Lee Love =E5=A4=A7
=E6=84=9B=E3=80=80=E3=80=80 =E3=80=80=E3=80=80 =E9=B1=97

"With Humans it's what's here (he points to his heart) that makes the
difference. If you don't have it in the heart, nothing you make will
make a difference." ~~Bernard Leach~~ (As told to Dean Schwarz)

Old May 24th 05, 02:53 PM
Bubbles

Thanks to both of you for the tips. I will get stuck into training more as
soon as my guests have left.

Marianne

"Lee In Mashiko, Japan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Make sure, when you pull the cone back, to puts in on the flat with
your left hand and pullup a little with your right. Maybe this is
the same as Steve saying to bring it to the center.

Also, make sure the clay is soft enough.

--
? Lee Love ?
??? ?? ?

Old May 28th 05, 05:32 PM
Lori

Geez, I must be more tired than I thought - when I looked at the
subject I thought it said Japanese WEDDING problems and couldn't figure
out how on earth this had anything to do with clay.......

Good thing the semester is over, grades are out and commencement is
finished - I could be in some serious trouble. G

Time for some serious clay therapy.

Lori

Life is a work of art,
Created by the one who lives it.
~Unknown~

Old June 2nd 05, 12:07 AM
Bubbles

ROFL!!!

I only wish it were that easy! ;-)

Marianne - planned more weddings than wedged successfully! ;-)

oups.com...

Japanese seed beads Daisy Beads 2 April 14th 05 09:03 AM
Japanese Fabric - need info quick smart! Sharon Harper Quilting 14 November 30th 04 12:41 AM
Help! Tension problems? Cina Quilting 11 December 17th 03 11:53 PM
Japanese Embroidery Ctr - Mary Monica & Dianne Please Read Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 11 December 5th 03 10:10 PM
Japanese Embroidery Center Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 1 November 23rd 03 06:08 PM