quilting shops in miami beach area

Old November 13th 04, 03:04 PM
Leena

Default quilting shops in miami beach area

I will visit in Miami Beach in the short run. I tried to find quilting
material shops using web but I found it quite difficult.
Could you give me any addresses of shops in Miami Beach or Miami City area
which sells fabrics, materials and all related stuff.

Thank you.

Old November 13th 04, 03:11 PM
Julia Altshuler

Leena wrote:
I will visit in Miami Beach in the short run. I tried to find quilting
material shops using web, but I found it quite difficult.
Could you give me any addresses of shops in Miami Beach or Miami City area
which sells fabrics, materials and all related stuff.

Besides the web, another good place to find fabric stores and quilt
related information is the yellow pages. You could call information
(4-1-1) if you wanted to check it out before your trip or just wait
until you got there and look in the yellow pages in your hotel room. I
used to live in that area but moved years ago. Last I knew, there were
no quilt shops on Miami Beach.

--Lia

Old November 13th 04, 06:01 PM
Mtsny0

The only quilt shop in the Miami area is "The Quilt Scene' in Kendall.

8785 SW 132nd Street
Miami, Florida 33176
Phone: 305.969.9886

I don't know exactly where you're staying, but even though the address is
Miami, it's about 15 miles south of 125th St. & Collins Ave. You really do need
a car if you're going to make the trip.

It's a really nice shop, not huge, good selection of fabric and some great
notions.

And there's a great yarn shop in the same shopping plaza.

There are other quilt shops but they're all further north. Let me know if you
want the info.

Enjoy.

The weather is fabulous this weekend.

-Michele
(just back from the beach)
Old November 13th 04, 07:16 PM
Leena

Thank you

I found three shops from www.superpages.com and driving directions. Thanks
Julia.

1) Quilter's Haven
2) Quilters Marketplace Inc
3) Quilt Scene

I do have a car for a couple of days.

Do you think that they (Quilter's haven and Quilters marketplace) are worth
of visiting?
About those shops which are further north, please let me know the addresses
anyway if they are worth of visiting.
It might be so that I will travel further north than previously thought or
maybe I just get lost and find myself wandering in those areas

I live in south Miami Beach-area.

- leena -

Old November 13th 04, 08:05 PM
Mtsny0

Leena,

Getting to the Quilt Scene is actually quite easy. (Interastate 95 South to the
end where it turns into US1, continue until 136th St, make a right, pass thru
one traffice light and it will be in a strip mall on your right about 2 blocks
down). Of course, check with the shop first - I just go and don't really think
about where I'm driving.

Quilter's Haven is no longer in business.

Quilters Marketplace is in Delray Beach, about a 40 minute (depending on how
you drive and traffic) ride north on I95 from Miami. It's a lovely shop and you
could spend a day in downtown Delray Beach - all kinds of stores and a great
selection of restaurants.

Where are you visiting from?

-Michele

Subject: quilting shops in miami beach area

Old November 13th 04, 08:28 PM
Mtsny0

Actually, English is my mother tongue. Hard to tell from the amount of typos in
that last response.

Sorry.

-Michele
(Note to self: Proofread message before sending!)
Old November 14th 04, 12:26 AM
Julia Altshuler

I took my first beginning quilting class at The Quilt Scene. That place
is dangerous. Behold the evidence before you. I'm here, and I'm
obsessed, right?

The original poster might be making the same mistake that so many
visitors to Miami do. One tends to think of Miami as a north eastern
city like New York or Boston, the sort with a large population but a
small geographical area, the sort where one can get around easily. In
truth, Miami is geographically huge, more like Houston. Miami Beach is
a causeway away from the Mainland. It is at least an hour from the
Dadeland area in Kendall to North Miami even with the good highways and
little traffic. You need a car.

--Lia

Old November 14th 04, 02:33 PM
Valerie in FL

Quilter's Haven has been closed for over 6 months now.

Once Upon a Quilt at 3404 Griffin Rd. in Fort Lauderdale is a nice shop.
It's probably the closest to Miami Beach.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

Old November 15th 04, 01:51 PM
Pat in Virginia

Last time I was in Miami, 2002, I found the shop and enjoyed
it. Smallish but well stocked. It is tucked into a strip
mall so it is not readily visible to a driver, so it is easy
to miss. Best bet is to call the shop to confirm location
and hours. Have fun!
PAT in VA/USA