Carrickmacross Lace on Kate's Wedding Gown!!

Old April 30th 11, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Default Carrickmacross Lace on Kate's Wedding Gown!!

Susan Hartman wrote:
yes, but did you get this part?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug

LOL!

Sue

Wouldn't it have been great if that had really happened? Well,
except for the part with the bride & groom. But it would have been
great pre-wedding entertainment! :-) And I would swear that was Prince
Harry booging down the aisle! Wouldn't sureprise me if it WAS huim --
LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old April 30th 11, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 4/29/11 6:47 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:08:31 -0400, "Ellice K."
wrote:

Anyhow - lovely to see all this, but still it makes you wonder so many
things. On NPR yesterday, some celeb was interviewed and said that $32 M on
wedding - he thought the better thing would be to donate 90% to charities as
so much could be done, and that you could still do quite the "do" with $3.2
M. Interesting thing to think about.

Well, joy to the couple regardless.

Ellice

One could always say money could go elsewhere - how about the
trillions of dollars spent on Iraq ?

True, absolutely true about so many things. Don't get me going about
overpaid/undertaxed celebrities & athletes....

Currently things in the UK are not too great and just as the Queen's
wedding coming as a big event immediately after the war lifted
spirits, so it seemed did this wedding. The crowds, and I have no
idea how many millions formed them, had a great time without any demos
and distractions, I heard they both would have preferred a small
wedding but don't get to choose that. The Queen footed the bill, save
for the security.

That makes sense - I wasn't sure how much the government (public coffers)
vice the private funds of the Queen.

I know even the Canadian Coast Guard benefited from the donations they
asked for in lieu of wedding gifts as they were on the list. I am not
a monarchist but I can see that people - common people - enjoy these
events.

Nice that donations were made in lieu of gifts - we've had several friends
do that - though not on the same scale, of course. Clearly the common folk
(so to speak) enjoy these events. For DH & I it's a little bit of a puzzle,
but I certainly don't begrudge people their enjoyment. I just wonder at it
- sort of camping out for 3 days to glimpse a fabulously wealthy member of a
non-governing royal family, along with their non-royal fiance, pass en route
to be married. It's fascinating - the fascination. But it was lovely, and
touching to watch (virtually unavoidable - even on the network morning
news).

Here in Canada, people had wedding parties, my elder daughter attended
one and I know several people who were disappointed I wouldn't get up
and go to a wedding party at 3 a.m - so even here some people
celebrated and enjoyed. It was a positive event.

Same here, there were parties at the embassy, parties at pubs, events at the
local British shops, etc.

Ellice

Old April 30th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 4/30/11 8:07 AM, in article , "Tia Mary"
wrote:

Kalmia wrote:.
....Snipped.....
The gown was wonderful - at least she was covered. Elegant and
tasteful, but interesting enough with that 'bustle' affair. And I
liked the very simple veil.

I have to LOL -- the veil was the one thing I didn't like! It looked
a bit too limp and sort of floppy to MOI. Personal tastes and all. I
told DH that if the Bride liked it, then that is all that matters.
I Tivo'd the whole thing -- all 5 1/2 hours -- and DH and I looked at
the good bits again last evening. I wanted to get a look at all those
hats. I have to agree with Ellice (I think it was her post) when she
said many of the hats looked liked something out of a Dr. Seuss movie!
That ugly thing Princess Beatrice had on was just ridiculous. There was
also one that was BRIGHT BLUE, sat smack on the front of the poor womans
forhead and was shaped like a childs toy spaceship or something! Very
strange and DH and I wondered how she kept the ugly thing on her head.
We decided she had to have used couble stick tape -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

LOL - we certaily agree about that thing on Princess Beatrice - kind of like
an '8" with horns on either side. And the color, along with her outfit -
was hideous. I seriously believe that the hat designer is not just pushing
the envelope, but snickering in the back room with the tons of money paid
for these (though they are laboriously hand-made) at what he has convinced
people to wear. What do they think? I'm sure there is plenty of double
stick tape, like the kind used for taping risque dresses, etc in place.

My other fashion observation, hah, was that while David Beckham looked
stunningly handsome, his wife "Posh Spice" looked like Morticia Adamms'
sister going to a funeral. So much black, and it just looked dire.

My next question is why they chose Ivory for Princess Catherine - which is
her choice, and then put her sister in white -which seems a bit odd for
bridal party.

Ellice

Old April 30th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 4/30/11 10:18 AM, in article , "Karen C in
Calif" wrote:

Ellice K. wrote:
I have begun to think that some people are being
jerked around to wear hats only meant as runway art statements to some real
life event. There were some truly interesting, some just bizarre,

I've noted that the British royals tend to wear frumpy dresses, and then
go to the opposite extreme of totally outre' on their heads.

I think the frump went out to some extent with Princess Dianna. She brought
some fashion ooomph with her. And the younger ones seem to dress well, the
queen, well, she's old enough to be entitled to look however. I thought her
daffodil was quite cheery at least.

I rather liked the one you described as a Dr. Seuss creation -- an
e-friend called it "antlers", I described it to Brian as "remember the
antenna on that cartoon alien?" -- her sister's simply looked like
something had sat on her head and died there.

Obviously, I wouldn't wear any of them to an event at MY church, but
that was the one I could see myself wearing should I ever be invited to
a British high society wedding.

I still have a collection of hats from when I lived in the UK. Being
thrilled now to have learned that Helen Mirren lives quite near (same
village) as where I did. That said, my colleagues loved inviting me to
events for which I would have to dress up - meaning hats. And indeed I have
a couple of largish, but quite nice - from my favorite then dept store,
Selfridges, hats - bought specifically to go with certain outfits - for a
wedding, a christening, and IIRC a great anniversary celebration. Not that
any of these were high society - well, maybe for the teeny village where the
wedding was. OTOH, they liked having the adopted Yank - I could serve tea
at the church events, especially those done for the "old dears." It was so
much fun - and the ladies loved that my "adopted family" had me as the
non-Christian, American....pouring tea in some 300 year old church for their
fetes.

Ellice

Old April 30th 11, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 4/30/11 1:28 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

On 4/30/2011 8:07 AM, Tia Mary wrote:

I Tivo'd the whole thing -- all 5 1/2 hours -- and DH and I looked at
the good bits again last evening. snipped

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

yes, but did you get this part?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug

LOL!

Sue

Excellent - looks like more fun. Have you been to a wedding where they do
dancing down the aisle? We went to one last winter (in Frederick). The mom
of groom, who already is at best not fond of bride - big issues - was
definitely underwhelmed. It was not nearly as good as this, but I could see
it might be fun.

Ellice

Old May 1st 11, 09:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce[_4_]

There's more detailed information on the gown here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13249018
Bruce
Old May 1st 11, 11:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 4/30/11 1:28 PM, Susan Hartman wrote:
On 4/30/2011 8:07 AM, Tia Mary wrote:

I Tivo'd the whole thing -- all 5 1/2 hours -- and DH and I looked at
the good bits again last evening. snipped

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

yes, but did you get this part?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug

LOL!

Sue

isn't that a great video.

Cheryl
Old May 1st 11, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sharon

On Apr 29, 10:34*am, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 08:44:45 -0400, Tia Mary
wrote:

* I was just reading about the Duchess of Cambridge's (aka Kate
Middleton) wedding gown. *The lace **applique** used on the bodice and
gown was hand made by the Royal School of Needlework using the
traditional Irish lace making Carrickmacross method!! *It has
incorporated the rose, thistle, daffodil and shamrock -- looks very
pretty from what I have been able to see. *Nice to know the needlearts
are still so appreciated. *CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

Yes I was happy about that - Diana went away from traditional and had
a ghastly mistake of a dress but Fergie went to the RSN and her gown
was lovely too, the train had both their initials stitched and
intertwined on it. *Seeing that the view from the rear is what is
mostly seen, Fergies dress was great. *I heard one commentator say
that P. Beatrice says their divorce was the 'world's best' lol

I would have loved to be in the mall when the spit and lanc flew past.

I didn't think Diana's dress was a mistake at all - it was very
fairytale, perfect for such a young lady who thought she was actually
going to have a fairytale marriage - she too was beautiful. It was a
different time. It seems she was chosen for her virginal state rather
than love - but she was blinded by love I think. She did a lot of
good for the world and certainly brought some interest into that dowdy
old English family. Diana will always be in the hearts of many. I
was really quite surprised the other day when I was at the horse farm
- I asked one of the young men there if he planned on getting up early
for the Royal Wedding. He said 'No, once Princess Diana was killed, I
lost all interest in that Royal Family'. Funny, I expected him to say
'oh yeah right'.

Sharon (N.B.) - who also thinks that Princesses Eugenie's and
Beatrice's hats were butt ugly.
Old May 1st 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 5/1/11 10:21 AM, in article , "Karen C in
Calif" wrote:

Ellice K. wrote:

I seriously believe that the hat designer is not just pushing
the envelope, but snickering in the back room with the tons of money paid
for these (though they are laboriously hand-made) at what he has convinced
people to wear.

I saw an interview with him a few days before the wedding. He was
making most of the hats for the event, and commented that he therefore
had to be very careful to not do anything that looks like he simply
repeated a hat in another color. If you had to make that many hats,
you'd have to get a bit bizarre, too, to make them all noticeably different!

His hats are always, always quite edgy. Some more than others - but
honestly, so many of these were just beyond the pale into the absurd. Being
just art statements doing nothing for the wearer, or the event. Just MO.

My other fashion observation, hah, was that while David Beckham looked
stunningly handsome, his wife "Posh Spice" looked like Morticia Adamms'
sister going to a funeral. So much black, and it just looked dire.

On my TV it looked navy.

It may have been very, very dark. But the hat looked quite black, and she
looked quite severe.

Apparently, at times Ms. Spice has shown up at a wedding and outdid the
bride, so between her pregnancy and the importance of this occasion, she
chose to keep it low-key. The dress was something from her own line for
sale.

Of course it was - and every commentator was sure to plug that. Still, her
look, form apparel to her expression certainly did not show any joy. Most
people have some ability to dress in-between outshining the bride and
funereal. Especially with her closet, and assistance if she needed it.

Ellice