RCTN Posts

Old February 26th 11, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Default RCTN Posts

On 2/25/11 4:22 PM, in article ,
"Gillian Murray" wrote:

On 2/25/2011 8:59 AM, Ellice K. wrote:
On 2/25/11 7:07 AM, in article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:15:27 -0500, Gillian Murray
wrote:

It's the same on all usenet groups and is due mostly to FB and also to
the younger generation who have never heard of usenet - they tend to
do forums - the FB part is a general consensus on most groups, I don't
do FB but that's what they say.

Probably very true. I do participate in Facebook, as do many of the
rctners. We frequently send little personal messages to each other; also
I enjoy the fact that many of the designers, shops and other similar
(kreinik, Hoffman, DMC etc) businesses are there. You get immediate
information from them, rather than wait for it to travel down the
grapevine.

Lucille is hell on wheels at the version of Scrabble which we play!

Gillian

It's the other aspects of FB I do not like. I believe a lot of people
are going to be very sorry about a lot of the stuff they posted there
and once up it's extremely difficult to truly delete it.

One of those days when Sheena& I agree. We've resisted joining FB, and
while I know that we sort of miss out on some connection possibilities, are
concerned with other aspects. Just too much with the handling of privacy
material. I too think that many people, particularly in the teens thru
twenties, have not grasped the concept of discretion, judgment, and the fact
that so much put on facebook ends up quite widespread, with the potential of
coming back to bite you in the butt. We all know how easy it is to hit
"send" or "Reply to all" and an e-mail that you intended for 1 person, or to
edit somehow has hit an unintended readership. The same with FB, although
as I understand, due to legal pressures they've made the privacy settings
more easily usable.

In the work world, people have been bitten by things they've posted on FB,
and for me, going thru the background stuff getting my clearances back
again, we were specifically advised to stay off FB. Oh, well.

But, guess I do miss getting to play Scrabble with the crew ;^)

Ellice

Ellice,

My husband is like you and your DH. He has no intention of putting
anything about himself out into the big wide world. I suspect a lot of
this "guarded privacy" comes back from both military and working years,
and being cautious is far better than the alternative.

I think that has a lot to do with it - the work thing. Although, DH knows
I'll chat about pretty personal things here, but even though it seems
illogical - knowing usenet is so open - I'm not too concerned. Some of the
work habits just stay with you 'cause of the not talking about certain
aspects all in real life, so not talking about them on line isn't that hard.
Though, sometimes it's hard to resist. DH had a very formal upbringing in
some respects, although those who know him and his crazy sisters figure some
of his reticence is due to them. So, early in our relationship, and at
times even now, he'll look askance when we're talking about something with
our friends - close friends. The kind of things of life that close
friends/family share - what's happening, which he'll think is private - but
to me is something that's just a factoid of life (no, not the intimate
details). He's finally gotten used to us being able to knock and go in to
our best friends house - or to actually drop in - with knocking -without
formal appointments.

On the other hand, I have been a good kid, and very rarely post anything
personal. I use it for entertainment, and also keeping tabs on kids and
grandkids. I have to admit, some of the things the teenagers, and
preteens post, would have been VERY unacceptable, when I was the active
Mom! No TV punishment at the very minimum! LOL

LOL - I can see that. You're definitely a good kid!

The only way we knew about my stepdaughter's separation, and quick
divorce from her husband, was that she was posting everyday to all her
friends, and I could read the posts. She is almost 40, and SHOULD know
better!

Gill

Sometimes it's hard to know what people think. I know other adults - older
than me - who use FB (from what I've heard - from them and others)and the
entire electronic social networking much as teens or college kids would.
What can I say. OTOH, the god daughter graduating from MIT this term is
sooooo careful with it that I think her friends make fun of her. She's seen
some of the bad repercussions and doesn't want that to happen to her.

Hard to ever know better....

ellice

Old February 26th 11, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/25/11 9:45 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 2/24/11 10:15 PM, in article ,
"Gillian Murray" wrote:

On 2/24/2011 6:31 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:18:57 -0800 (PST), Janet
wrote:

I've been thinking lately about the decline in the number of posts on
RCTN. do you think people have migrated to Yahoo groups? I've
recently joined several and there is a lot of participation there.
What groups are y'all in?

Just curious,

Janet

It's the same on all usenet groups and is due mostly to FB and also to
the younger generation who have never heard of usenet - they tend to
do forums - the FB part is a general consensus on most groups, I don't
do FB but that's what they say.

Probably very true. I do participate in Facebook, as do many of the
rctners. We frequently send little personal messages to each other; also
I enjoy the fact that many of the designers, shops and other similar
(kreinik, Hoffman, DMC etc) businesses are there. You get immediate
information from them, rather than wait for it to travel down the
grapevine.

Lucille is hell on wheels at the version of Scrabble which we play!

Gillian

And beats us soundly. I play two different "Scrabble" games - I should
introduce Gillian and Lucille to it. But maybe not, as one option (random
rules) can result in 1000+ point words.

Cheryl

So now you've got me tempted. Come on Cheryl, share!!!

Lucille

Ok - watch for the invite!

Old February 26th 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 2/26/11 4:44 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

On 2/25/2011 3:27 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:39:49 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

It's the other aspects of FB I do not like. I believe a lot of people
are going to be very sorry about a lot of the stuff they posted there
and once up it's extremely difficult to truly delete it.

Gotta agree about FB. I've stayed away and expect will
continue to do so. I check in here, (been on newsgroups
since the early 90s, hard to break the habit) and a few
blogs.

Police in a local county have been investigating
a truly despicable FB page made from pages of girls in
their teens, using their pictures, etc. As soon as it was
"taken down", the instigators put it back up with a
"comment for the police. Not nice at all.
If one isn't judicious in one's use of FB a lot of trouble
can ensue.

Nancy

We've had a couple of undesirable things, similar, with the kids here
too. It's a worry with young kids.

I saw in yesterday's paper that Disney has acquired a company that does
a FB for the under-10 set with parental safeguards, etc. But I ask you,
do under-10s NEED a FB experience?

sue

LOL - you should see the weekly NL flash from our HOA. Today's featured a
huge article on arranging playgroups, playgroup ettiquette, ways to keep
socially connected with the playgroups, and so on and so on .... I guess
they do.

Old February 26th 11, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 2/26/11 6:10 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:44:37 -0500, Susan Hartman
wrote:

*snip*

I saw in yesterday's paper that Disney has acquired a company that does
a FB for the under-10 set with parental safeguards, etc. But I ask you,
do under-10s NEED a FB experience?

sue

I guess they are there though - last weekend I was quizzing my
g-granddaughter about her usage and she complained that her mother was
so strict and she felt hard done by, so I relaxed lol She'll be ten
next month.

There was a study recently that showed children should be doing more
writing, cursive style as well. Apparently what is written down
(rather than keyboarded) is received into memory cells in the brain
far more permanently. I know I always accepted that if I really had
to remember something, I was best off writing it down, even if I don't
look at it again. There is something about the writing down that
works, course I do much more of it nowadays lol

Interesting. I've also seen some of these studies about writing and memory
- for me, as well, I found that taking notes in class really helped, and
made studying much less arduous. WRT the cursive, when I took the judging
class last year at ANG seminar, the instructor (a really brilliant,
exciting, older woman) insisted on writing on the boards in cursive. She
stated that it upset her to find that cursive writing was becoming a lost
art, and that with so much work being done with keyboards. So, we also had
to do some things and write in cursive - her handwriting, much more elegant
than most of the students. I hadn't seen anything about cursive writing
helping with memory, but surely with some dexterity or pattern recognition.

Thanks,
ellice

Old February 27th 11, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 2/26/2011 6:10 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:44:37 -0500, Susan Hartman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sheena, I remember that from my 7 years of Med Tech training in England.
IF i made notes during the lecture...and rewrote them later in the
week...I actually remembered the stuff. Even 55 years later, I remember
a lot of what I learned. Yes...outrageously out of date, current med
techs say "you did WHAT?', but I remember what we did, why, and the good
and bad of the tests.

Of course these days we make shopping lists, which are left at home on
the counter. 95% of the list is remembered.

gill

Old February 27th 11, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 2/26/2011 6:45 PM, Ellice K. wrote:
On 2/26/11 6:10 PM, in article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:44:37 -0500, Susan Hartman
wrote:

*snip*

[...]

Thank God, in my school in England cursive was an unknown. However it
was extremely important to know how to write letters, and of primary
importance was how to hold the pen and pencil correctly! I cringe when
I see how the youndters today hold them

Remember, Sheena, when we were all young we leaRNT THE CORRECT WAY TO
ADDRESS A bISHOP, aRCHBISHOP, eARL, pRINCE, dUKE ETC. AS PART OF THE
WRITING CLASS.

Old February 27th 11, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce[_4_]

On 26/02/2011 23:45, Ellice K. wrote:
Interesting. I've also seen some of these studies about writing and memory
- for me, as well, I found that taking notes in class really helped, and
made studying much less arduous. WRT the cursive, when I took the judging
class last year at ANG seminar, the instructor (a really brilliant,
exciting, older woman) insisted on writing on the boards in cursive. She
stated that it upset her to find that cursive writing was becoming a lost
art, and that with so much work being done with keyboards. So, we also had
to do some things and write in cursive - her handwriting, much more elegant
than most of the students. I hadn't seen anything about cursive writing
helping with memory, but surely with some dexterity or pattern recognition.

Thanks,
ellice

At school in the late 1940s & early 1950s we were taught "Vere Foster"
handwriting, I can still produce a reasonable handwriting style but only
if I use a "proper" fountain pen.
Bruce
Old February 27th 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 2/26/2011 6:50 PM, Karen C in Calif wrote:
Ellice K. wrote:

I hadn't seen anything about cursive writing
helping with memory, but surely with some dexterity or pattern
recognition.

I'm not sure it's so much the "cursive" versus that you have to be much
more engaged with the process in order to handwrite versus keyboard.

Yes, I think it's a matter of "mindfulness." When you write in cursive,
you think of a word in the whole. Typing makes words into strings of
letters.

I remember hearing from a friend years ago that her ADHD son was being
taught cursive before printing because the brain processed it
differently, and they found that ADHD kids sometimes got "lost" between
the letters, but when they were all connected, as in cursive writing,
their language skills improved.

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old February 28th 11, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Feb 25, 7:59*am, "Ellice K." wrote:

One of those days when Sheena & I agree. *We've resisted joining FB, and
while I know that we sort of miss out on some connection possibilities,

Me, three. People keep asking me to join, but I just don't have time
for one more place to check for new messages!

In the work world, people have been bitten by things they've posted on FB,

LOL! Just today a coworker was telling me about someone at her other
job who had pleaded with her to come in early "so she could have
supper with her dad". So my coworker, trying to be nice, does just
that. The girl doesn't show up as scheduled the next morning so they
called her and she was nearly incoherent. My coworker checked on FB
and someone had posted how the other girl had been out with friends
and gotten very drunk! That will be the last time she puts any effort
into helping that girl!

Joan

RCTN-P Cheryl Isaak Needlework 3 June 24th 10 01:36 PM
RCTN is alive!! Gill Murray Needlework 28 December 7th 07 02:29 AM
Being OT on RCTN (long) Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen Needlework 117 October 8th 05 12:54 AM
Being OT on RCTN KCat Needlework 154 October 3rd 05 12:26 PM
META: Number of posts on RCTN. F.James Cripwell Needlework 67 January 16th 04 03:07 PM