Focus on Design: Attic Windows

Old April 13th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Focus on Design: Attic Windows

"Focus on Design" is a once in a while feature that I
post here to open discussion about a specific quilt
block or style. This is not the place to discuss
chocolate, nor kids, nor snow ... though those are okay
in other, off topic, discussions. In this thread, let's
talk about Attic Windows Quilts!

I made a ATQ, a WH actually, a couple months ago. It
was my first ATQ and I must say I want to make more. It
was fun and easy! So, here are some links to generate
your interest!

Here is a straightforward set of instruction:
http://www.compuquilt.com/blockimg/1...ticWindows.htm

About quilting has an interesting variation:
http://quilting.about.com/b/a/257344.htm

HGTV site features several ways to make the blocks, as
well as how to do a Y seam:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_qlt/e..._31609,00.html

Of course if you want to avoid the Y seam, you can do
it Debbie Kratovil's way:
http://www.quilterbydesign.com/lesso...icwindows.html
(IMO the Y seam is more attractive and is NOT difficult!)

Marcia Hahn has instructions AND pictures of Attic
Window quilts made by several quilters:
http://www.quilterscache.com/A/Attic...ock_Page2.html

(Take note that some of those quilts in the Cache
included a narrow sashing between the windows, while
others are set together without any sashing. The ATQ
that I just finished includes a narrow coral sashing
and it really add some punch to an other wise muted
color scheme.)

What do you think? Have you made a ATQ, or is one on
your list?
PAT in Virginia
Queen of Everything
Old April 13th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Here's one I made.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...53918257jqwaya
I find the design just a little tricky to finish. As you can tell, I made a
window in a window. I'm not sure that was the wisest choice. There are
some sashings that better define the windows than the way I did it. The
corners are "real" mitered. Not the half square triangle trick.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old April 14th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

You're welcome. I always enjoy your topic choices. It's a neat chance to
revisit others' quilts and have a theme to study. Thanks!

Old April 14th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

I have made one quilt that is Attic Windows style. Did it that way
because I ran out of background fabric and needed to space the blocks a
bit.G
It does have the sashing, because it is sort of like a "shadow box" more
than a "window" G I wanted it to look like a set of cubbyholes, and
each one has a different "cowboy" boot in it. Some turned one way, some
the other.

Had fun making it. And you are right Pat, the mitered seam is not
difficult to do, and unless you are really "lucky" with your fabric
selection, looks a lot better than using the triangle square for it.

Pati, in Phx

Pat in Virginia wrote:
"Focus on Design" is a once in a while feature that I post here to open
discussion about a specific quilt block or style. This is not the place
to discuss chocolate, nor kids, nor snow ... though those are okay in
other, off topic, discussions. In this thread, let's talk about Attic
Windows Quilts!

Gentle snipping....

Old April 14th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

I've made 2.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...53386571txkSvS and
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...53386571BTyrsJ. I have
a panel of the Nativity that I thought I would cut and make into an Attic
Windows. A few years ago while in Ohio, a friend bought me a book all on
attic windows with various layouts.

--
Mary
:

Old April 14th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

I love your backyard friends, Kathyl. I admit that I did the HST trick.

--
Mary
"KJ" wrote in message
: Here's one I made.
: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...53918257jqwaya
: I find the design just a little tricky to finish. As you can tell, I made
: window in a window. I'm not sure that was the wisest choice. There are
: some sashings that better define the windows than the way I did it. The
: corners are "real" mitered. Not the half square triangle trick.
:
: --
: Kathyl (KJ)
: remove "nospam" before mchsi
: http://community.webshots.com/user/kathylquiltz
: "Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: Y seam:
:

Old April 14th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I made a wallhanging from Susan Cleveland's "Shadow Box" pattern
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/AutumnShadowBox.JPG The photo is
before quilting. I used a backing with an autumn leaves print and
machine quilted from the back using a fairly heavy, copper-colored
metallic thread in the bobbin and following the outline of the leaves in
the backing. I did SITD around the windows with clear monofilament
thread before doing the quilting from the back, so that most of that
quilting was inside the "windows" and in the border.

I thought Susan's pattern was very easy to understand and gave a good
explanation of y-seams, partial seams, and mitered borders. I actually
made the top in a class taught by Susan, but I'm positive I would not
have had any trouble with the pattern if I had not taken the class. Her
classes are a lot of fun, though.

Julia in MN

Old April 14th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Thanks Mary, I didn't know the HST method when I made my quilt. But I was
pretty adept at mitered corners by the time I finished that one.
I also didn't know about foundation paper piecing when I made it. So I cut
each piece out of freezer paper and pieced each block. I'm smarter now!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old April 14th 07, 07:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

My Attic Window was one of my very early quilts. I was given some
fabric that I didn't want to cut into small pieces. I loved the pattern
then, and I love it today. I use the quilt every day that has the
slightest 'chill' in it! It's a bit small for a lap quilt; and, sadly,
it is soon to be superseded - but it will be kept.

A few days ago, I saw an Attic Window quilt with a difference. It was
virtually in rows - each row (from the top) increasing in window size.
It looked great, though I prefer the more realistic sizing.

One feature which I think makes this such a great pattern is the visual
variation you can achieve, depending on the placement of the two framing
strips. You can be indoors, looking out, with the sun high, to one
side, to the other side; you can even be outside, looking in; and
especially with a night scene that one is lovely.

I dislike the half-square triangle method for the corners, as I think
you can always see the seam. And, truly, mitred corners are not
difficult to do. Also, as Kathyl said, by the time you have finished
your quilt, you will be an expert - a future ahead with mitred borders!

I have no pictures at all, so you will all have to use your
imaginations!!
..
In message , Pat in Virginia
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill

Attic Windows Quilting Pat in Virginia Quilting 10 January 24th 07 09:31 PM
Attic Windows perspective frood Quilting 15 March 13th 06 02:59 PM
Crooked attic windows merrystitch Quilting 10 July 4th 04 10:41 PM
Question about Attic Windows Quilting 17 January 23rd 04 04:50 PM
Attic Windows are fun! Anne in CA Quilting 3 October 8th 03 11:27 AM