Will Need To Mend Wool Sweater

Old July 30th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default Will Need To Mend Wool Sweater

I just bought a wool sweater that has a cut in it. Here's a picture of
the cut:

http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/98/fb/e0_1.JPG

I figured it would be easy to mend with thread but after reading a
little about wool, I wondered if regular thread would work, & wondered
if mending using yarn like thread would be better.

I also read that re-knitting the cut would be best but I don't know how
to knit.

I then read that wool is hair and can be treated like hair. So how
about superglue? Has anybody tried gluing the two edges together? I
got this sweater for less than $4, plus shipping. I just need it for
staying warm this winter, not for formal affairs.

There must be some simple solution that I can do myself, right?

Thanks.

--

Yours truly,

Lee Harrison

Old July 30th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Tracey

wrote:
[...]

Since what it looks like isn't a real big problem for you, if it
were me, I would probably get an iron on patch of some kind, make
it a little bigger than the rip and then iron it on on the inside
of the sweater (so it doesn't show). That would keep it from getting
bigger, I would think.

Of course, the more knowledgeable here will probably have a better
solution.

Tracey

Old July 30th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 29 Jul 2006 22:47:23 -0700, spewed forth :

I just bought a wool sweater that has a cut in it. Here's a picture of
the cut:

http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/98/fb/e0_1.JPG

Sure hope your seller "disclosed".

I figured it would be easy to mend with thread but after reading a
little about wool, I wondered if regular thread would work, & wondered
if mending using yarn like thread would be better.

You need to look up "darning", which is what one does to mend woolen
goods.

I also read that re-knitting the cut would be best but I don't know how
to knit.

Best, yes. Practical, not usually. Even those of us who knit
probably wouldn't try to "reknit" to mend a tear in something knitted
of very fine commercial yarn.

I then read that wool is hair and can be treated like hair. So how
about superglue? Has anybody tried gluing the two edges together?

Ever get superglue on your fingers? Hard as hell, and brittle too.
Yes, it'll mend the tear, but it'll leave you with a hard scratchy
blob.

got this sweater for less than $4, plus shipping. I just need it for
staying warm this winter, not for formal affairs.

Hit the local resale shop and look for some garment made of similar
fabric that you can buy for a few bucks. Use it as patching material
and just sew a patch over the tear.

Or, just whip the edgeds together with the same needle and thread
you'd use to apply a patch.

There must be some simple solution that I can do myself, right?

Usually is, for somebody willing to think about the problem for a
while ;D

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old July 30th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Lee

Wooly wrote:
On 29 Jul 2006 22:47:23 -0700, spewed forth :

Or, just whip the edgeds together with the same needle and thread
you'd use to apply a patch.

My first thought exactly. Thank you.

--

Yours truly,

Lee Harrison

Old July 30th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

wrote:
[...]

As you aren't worried about looks, just utility, I would take a needle
and thread - preferably in a matching shade - and simply sew up the slit.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old July 30th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

I have done lots of invisible repairs on wool knits and wovens. For
thread use hair similar in color, very hard to sew with have patience.
butt the edges together and do a weaving type stitch back and for the
across and then up and down. basically darning with the hair.

good luck, Linda

Old August 1st 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article . com,
wrote:
I just bought a wool sweater that has a cut in it. Here's a picture of
the cut:

http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/98/fb/e0_1.JPG

I figured it would be easy to mend with thread but after reading a
little about wool, I wondered if regular thread would work, & wondered
if mending using yarn like thread would be better.

I also read that re-knitting the cut would be best but I don't know how
to knit.

I then read that wool is hair and can be treated like hair. So how
about superglue? Has anybody tried gluing the two edges together? I
got this sweater for less than $4, plus shipping. I just need it for
staying warm this winter, not for formal affairs.

I might try to find matching sock yarn and darn it using duplicate stitch.
(It's easy, you just follow the original path of the yarn.)

Some people say SoBo fabric glue works and stays flexible. I haven't
tried it myself.

A friend of mine used to sew her sweaters together on the sewing machine.
She said they lasted much better than when she hand sewed them.
If it's fine enough to even consider thread, you might be able to
darn it with a zigzag sewing machine, using thread that matches.

Or if the cut is where you could have a pocket, patch it (maybe on the
inside) and sew a pocket over it.

=Tamar