sewing box - HELP!

Old December 18th 04, 12:51 AM
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:02:21 -0500, Karen Maslowski
wrote:

Andy, I can't imagine having the strength to wrestle that stuff under
the machine!

Strength isn't the problem - Pfaffzilla just nails anything you feed
it, and it _still_ feeds it through at 80mph. It's a terrifying beast,
and I'm glad it's not mine. My own industrial is a Brother with a
rather more benign pulley speed. However the Pfaff is a sleeve arm,
not a flatbed, so sometimes I need to use it.

The trouble with the laptop bags is getting an even feed, even though
it's a walking foot. The thin stuff gets pulled all over the place
relative to the rubber - I need to use a huge overlap and fasten it
down with spring clips before sewing.
Old December 18th 04, 05:39 PM
joy beeson

Has anyone mentioned a single-edge razor blade in a
cardboard sheath? A razor blade takes up almost no space in
a card-case sewing kit, when quite new, it can fill in for
scissors, and it will snip thread even when worn.

Shamelessly snitched from the announcement of a sewing
workshop for 18th-Century clothing:

What you need:
* A sewing kit including scissors, pins, tailors chalk, linen thread
(or cotton hand quilting thread), seam ripper, hand sewing needles,
beeswax, tape measure, and yardstick.

[snip]

* Optional: Sewing machine with cotton thread for internal
seams, iron (with steam feature) and ironing board (we will
have one for general use)

The specification "with steam feature" puzzles me. It is
really, really hard to find an iron that *doesn't* have the
steam feature! (I own both of the dry irons that I've seen.
Stashed the second one in the attic for a back-up.)

Maybe it was a subtle hint that they won't have a wood stove
for warming flat irons.

Umm . . . their period was pre-Rumford. Heating a laundry
iron in a fireplace must have been a *real* bummer. I
wonder whether box irons were invented before or after
stoves. (and how come we have a proper word for "stove",
but refer to the fireplace by a word that looks recently
coined, after the manner of "flying machine" and "horseless
carriage"?)

"Flying machine" has given way to "airplane", and "washing
machine" has given way to "washer", but the sewing machine
shows no sign of getting a name that would not apply equally
well to sergers and embroidery machines.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbeeson59...HSEW/ROUGH.HTM

Old December 18th 04, 07:33 PM
Valkyrie

"joy beeson" wrote in message
"Flying machine" has given way to "airplane", and "washing
machine" has given way to "washer", but the sewing machine
shows no sign of getting a name that would not apply equally
well to sergers and embroidery machines.

Joy Beeson

My first Viking sewing machine was dubbed "Eric" as in Eric the Red. I used
it for 24 years before getting the Viking Designer1 now known as "Leif" as
in Leif the Luck, Eric's son. My serger (also a Viking) is called Odin..the
dishwasher's name is Raul (another story all together).

Val

Old December 18th 04, 07:47 PM
Karen Maslowski

Can you imagine all the burns? Perfectly dreadful, in every sense of the
word. I would sure dread ironing, if I had to use one of those old beasts.

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old December 18th 04, 08:57 PM
AmazeR

joy beeson wrote:
Heating a laundry
iron in a fireplace must have been a *real* bummer. I
wonder whether box irons were invented before or after
stoves.

[shudder] When I was little, I actually found one of these in Mums
cupboard! Apparantly, it was Dads before he got married!! I wonder if he
ever used it? LOL

Mavis

--
http://linuxathome.ath.cx/~mavis/blog/index.php

Old December 18th 04, 09:36 PM
Pogonip

joy beeson wrote:
Heating a laundry

iron in a fireplace must have been a *real* bummer. I
wonder whether box irons were invented before or after
stoves.

[shudder] When I was little, I actually found one of these in Mums
cupboard! Apparantly, it was Dads before he got married!! I wonder if he
ever used it? LOL

Mavis

There was a "modern" iron that had a separating handle (of
wood) and a set of "irons" that could be heated while one
of them was in use. It's no wonder, with that and with
washing on a board and by hand, that people didn't change
clothes often. We've come a long way, and I, for one,
have no wish to go back to the "good old days." ;-)
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old December 18th 04, 10:20 PM
AmazeR

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:36:39 -0800, Pogonip wrote:

There was a "modern" iron that had a separating handle (of
wood) and a set of "irons" that could be heated while one
of them was in use. It's no wonder, with that and with
washing on a board and by hand, that people didn't change
clothes often. We've come a long way, and I, for one,
have no wish to go back to the "good old days." ;-)

Heh! You really are taking us back! I remember the good old wash boards
too... Seems Dad never threw anything out! When I was young, Mum still
used the ringer washing machine, and only got a new one after Dad died and
my brother inherited the property. I think it was one of the first things
he tossed!

Mavis

--
http://linuxathome.ath.cx/~mavis/blog/index.php

Old December 19th 04, 10:04 AM
Kathy Morgan

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm a real sci-fi buff and have read everything by Asimov and
Heinlein, and I'm finishing up Niven's "Ringworld's Children",
the last unread novel by that wonderful author. Who's next?

Hal Clement and James White--same vintage and same quality. :-)

--
Kathy - help for new users at http://www.aptalaska.net/~kmorgan/
Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval at http://www.gnksa.org/
Old December 19th 04, 05:34 PM
Valkyrie

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
I'm a real sci-fi buff and have read everything by Asimov and
Heinlein, and I'm finishing up Niven's "Ringworld's Children",
the last unread novel by that wonderful author. Who's next?

One of the "read again" series of books in my own personal library......the
Callahan's Saloon series by Spider Robinson. I found the whole series at a
garage sale years ago. It was already pretty 'well read' when I bought it.
That particular series has been read by me 3 times, all the boys several
times each as well as many of their friends and mine. One of the best and
'funnest' sci-fi, IMO.

Val