no-sew fleece blanket...a different idea

Old December 10th 03, 03:24 PM
CNYstitcher

Default no-sew fleece blanket...a different idea

Yes, this is one-topic because it involves quilting of a sort!

DH and I are against the children sleeping in our bed with us (taking
naps on the weekend is a different story, and only happens when DS has
had a really bad day), so I decided to make something special for DS. I
bought one of the "no-sew fleece blanekts" from JoAnna in a boys
combination - one piece iss solid red, and the other has different forms
of transportation done in a childish print. I am making him a fleece
sleeping bag for the nights when he has bad dreams and needs to be near
his mommy and daddy. The fleece pieces measure 48"x60", and I folded it
in half, getting a 48"x30" rectangle.

I put the folded pieces pn top of the batting (a really big and fluffy
batting that I got on sale months ago when it was 1.99/yard or something
like that) and cut the batting. Then, I placed one piece of fleece
face-down (I just decided which side was the softest and chose that as
the "right" side of the fleece), placed the batting on one half of that
piece, right up to the edges of the fleece, and added the second piece
of fleece, also even at the edges. Of course, noe of this was square to
begin with, so I trimmed a bit.

I pinned all around the edges of the fleece, and down the center where
the batting ended. Next, I took perle cotton that was left over from
finishing quilts for my friend, and stitched around the edges. I think
it was supposed to be a blanket stitch, but it doesn't look like I
remember it was supposed to look. Anyway, it looks good so far. I
straight-stitched down the center, through all the layers (2 of fleece
and one of batting). It looks kind of childish, but as long as it
holds, I don't think DS will mind.

In the end, the entire thing will be reversible - he can have the red on
the outside or the transportation side.

Now, if I could just get it done in time for Christmas

Larisa, working on this in the living room after DS goes to bed, and
hiding it the closet when he is awake

Old December 10th 03, 03:31 PM
CNYstitcher

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I forgot to mention...before
stitching through the 6 layers to make the closed sleeping bag, you
should quilt as desired through the side with the fleece....most likely,
I will be tying it..haven't decided yet.

Old December 11th 03, 09:34 PM
CNYstitcher

Thank you...it's my own idea because all the store-bought sleeping bags
are way too big for DS and we think he might suffocate in them...this
one will be just the right size :-)

Larisa

Old December 12th 03, 04:58 AM
Natalie and Aaron Leaver

That really does sound like a nice quick and effective idea. My kids would
LOVE that! I will have to keep my eyes open for some nice fleece.

Natalie

Old December 16th 03, 07:39 PM
Dragonfly

I'd think some sort of stitching would be more comfortable underneath than
the little lumps where ties are........just something to consider! Some
simple gridline quilting wouldn't take all that long.

Dragonfly

news

Old December 17th 03, 12:12 AM
CNYstitcher

I didn't do anything..got ahead of myself and didn't think about the
quilting until the entire thing had already been stitched together. Oh
well! I made sure that I stitched through all edges of the batting, so
it shouldn't come all wiggly or anything.