"Sensory" type fabrics

Old May 20th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default "Sensory" type fabrics

Phaedrine wrote:

It was not my intent to be rude and I admire your dedication. But I
really wondered which settings were failing to provide adequate services
and giving you so little support. Educational, hospital and
institutional settings should all have occupational therapists, skilled
in sensory-motor integration, who would know exactly what works best
with children with sensory deficits.

Pursuant to the IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) in
the US, the children you describe would almost certainly be eligible for
Early Childhood programs and, in some States, Infant and Toddler
programs. Such programs should have the types of therapies you describe
as related services and, in the early years, are usually implemented
with parental participation. In addition to humanistic concerns, we've
known for decades that appropriate early therapeutic and educational
services almost always mitigate the need for later, incredibly expensive
(as well as dehumanizing) institutionalization for almost all but a
fraction of a percent of persons with disabilities.

Others here have given you the information you require so I will merely
say that it really angers me that in this day of alleged "no child left
behind", we are finding a dramatic increase in reliance on people of
good will such as you (charity) instead of providing what the law
required as early as 1975. And at the same time that some States are
outlawing abortion or even actively discussing outlawing birth control,
women who give birth to damaged babies are being given less and less
help. No I am not promoting abortion--- just commenting on the irony of
the situation. The measure of a society is how it treats its old and
disabled. It's a damn shame, Cindy, you can't get the support you and
your young charges require. Our leadership is failing the more
vulnerable among us.

Phae

Happens here as well... They shut all the 'hospitals' and 'Homes' for
such children in favour of 'care in the community'. Hmph! With the
lack of support now available, it's more a case of 'don't care in the
community'. We'll be going back to exhibiting them in freak shows next...

Cynical? Moi? in my best pretentious Miss Piggy tones
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old May 20th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Phaedrine wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's so much more important to build a fence the length of our
borders, and to depose certain dictators who dared to threaten one's
daddy.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth
Old May 21st 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article , Pogonip
wrote:

Phaedrine wrote:

[...]
It's a damn shame, Cindy, you can't get the support you and
your young charges require. Our leadership is failing the more
vulnerable among us.

Yes, it's so much more important to build a fence the length of our
borders, and to depose certain dictators who dared to threaten one's
daddy.

Exactly!

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake,
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI, Shakespeare)
Old May 21st 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article ,
Kate Dicey wrote:

Happens here as well... They shut all the 'hospitals' and 'Homes' for
such children in favour of 'care in the community'. Hmph! With the
lack of support now available, it's more a case of 'don't care in the
community'. We'll be going back to exhibiting them in freak shows next...

I am sorry to hear that the same thing is happing across the pond. It's
really getting to be Life Among the Savages....

OB-SEW: Many times when I install a centered zipper in the back of a
knit top, I run the zipper stitching lines all the way down to the
hemline for a little design statement. When I do this, I go back to
mark the end of the zipper, separately, with a V or a very small bar
tack.

Old May 22nd 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

I admire all that you are doing to help this person, as for 13 years I
worked with mentally challenged adults. Sometime I see a wheelchair at
Goodwill. Maybe her family could afford to get one there. You might could
explain the situation to the manager and ask her to call when a wheelchair
comes in. HTH
Barbara in SC

She is bed bound as we are fighting
with the state/federal agencies to get her a wheelchair ,