What are you working on?

Old September 21st 05, 02:27 PM
Roberta Zollner

You could make a little wallhanging-size sample piece first, just to try out
techniques. Just plunge in -it'll be fun, and even if you hate it at the
end, you'll learn something. And you don't have to tell us about it if you
don't want to.
Roberta in D

"Teacher Gal" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
(clipped) I have a nice lap-sized applique quilt-thingie I'd love to start
on, but I'm
nervous to. I'm adapting a picture as the whole design, and it'll involve
fusibles, and batiks, and embellishments, none of which I've ever done
before. Any hints to help me get over the hump of "I don't know if I can
do
this...."? Would posting a picture of the image I'm contemplating help?

Anastasia

---who really wants to get started on the piece, but is terrified she'll
screw it up.

Old September 21st 05, 02:35 PM
Roberta Zollner

Ack, you had to ask. In addition to a number of long-term ongoing projects:
1. The mosaic floor, which now has pieced borders ready to sew (mostly dark
blue as per everyone's advice). Need to make 4 corners for the border.
2. A baby-size top made of some appliqué placemats from the flea
market -those Chinese ones with the multicolor flowers that were in all the
stores a few years ago. I cut them into 2 big squares, one with the appliqué
and stenciled flower designs on the blank square. Added in some 9-patches in
scrappy florals to fill in. Needs a border.
3. Knitting a sweater for me in indigo rough silk, down to the last sleeve.
4. Time to start assembling the next friendship quilt for our charity
raffle -pieces are appearing on the design wall.
5. OT but it will rule my life for a few days: the kitchen guys start next
week! They keep saying it'll be only 3 days, but somehow I doubt it.
Roberta in D

"frood" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
I am currently between projects. Ok, not exactly "between" as in, "finished
that one, what's next" but, at a point where I can safely start a new
project and still get the others done and keep some semblance of sanity.
(no laughing from the peanut gallery, please)

I haven't yet decided what's next, tho. I joined my guild's President's
Challenge - she had us write down (in pen and everything) a quilt that we
had always wanted to make, that we would actually work towards completing
in this next guild year (Sep. to June). I wrote down that I am going to
make a quilt for *my* bed, using a Cobblestones block and batik fabrics.

Or, I could work on one of the Christmas fabrics quilts I have planned
(and partially cut) - log cabins, and cobblestones.

Or, there was a super simple, graphically striking quilt hanging in a
quilt shop that I thought would look stunning in African fabrics.

Or, the quilt featured on my calendar last month was really cool. I may
try to make a variation of that one, in either a seafaring theme, or a
Christmas one. I bet that piques your interest - what quilt could possibly
be done in either pirates or Christmas, you ask? Bwahahaaha! You will have
to wait and see!

So, what are you working on/thinking of working on/dreaming about?

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old September 21st 05, 02:43 PM
Roberta Zollner

That's a really pretty quilt -lucky mom! I think that picture will make a
wonderful appliqué. The tricky bit is the dress. There's a book on
"drappliqué" -never tried it myself, but it might be something useful for
you. The other idea might be to treat the whole thing as a stained
glass-type design. Blow it up to the size you want, and you'll have patterns
for each piece. Cut, fuse, and cover every join with narrow fusible bias. Or
make your own bias -doesn't have to be black.
Roberta in D

"Teacher Gal" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Psh. stupid me. Forgot the link.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tasialue

I'm such a ditz.

: I've got a webshots page started. Only have the image I want to use as
the
: applique quilt and two pics of my mother's tulip quilt on there, but
hey,
: it's a start!
:
: Anastasia
:
:

Old September 21st 05, 02:46 PM
NightMist

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:09:53 GMT, "frood"
wrote:

So, what are you working on/thinking of working on/dreaming about?

I am making slime.
I have also been bruising my brain on geometry and such, trying to
sort out the design and fabric requirements for that nautical themed
quilt I mentioned before.
I have also been wrapping up sewing the last of the school clothes,
and prepareing to head into painting a T-shirt based on DD's favorite
manga. We have already bought her several based on the series, but
haven't found her one with her favorite character on it.

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old September 21st 05, 02:50 PM
C & S

Well, before school started I put together numerous hand appliqué blocks for
when DD wants me to watch a DVD with her. I'm still working on my list of
quilts on the "Get it done Challenge 2005". I'm also working on my
brother's and my in-laws quilts (2 quilts same pattern Queen size). I chose
some of the same fabrics for both (background is different) so it's not so
bad. However, they both have 2,112 pieces to sew. It is an over whelming
project. Here is a photo of the quilt block, corn & bean.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cer...01.jpg&.src=ph

I'm also working on a table runner "Pumpkin Tatch" by Thimbleberries. I
need a quick project.

Thanks for asking.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

om...

Old September 21st 05, 02:55 PM
C & S

That's a really sweet quilt. Cute helpers! I peeked at some of your other
quilts, very nice. How did you do the spider webs? Thanks for sharing.

Carole
Champlain, NY

"frood" wrote in message
om...
One of my Halloween throw quilts is a trip around the world, in 4"

squares.
The other is a rail fence varaiation - instead of 3 rails, it's a

rectangle
of novelty fabric and a rail of orange, to make a square block, 6". I set

it
in Streak O Lightning.

They are both near the bottom of this page:
http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/BedandLapQuilts.htm

Have fun thinking one up!

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"maryd" wrote in message
This afternoon I made 5 hug/swap blocks and got them ready to mail. I
hope
that I can make up the Sept RCTQ BOM block this evening. I also packed

up
fabric and tools to take to my daughter's next month. Think I need to
make
a special bag/tote for my cutting mat and rulers. BTW.... a tip for
transporting rotary cutter. Mine fits perfectly in a soft sided

eyeglass
case. Oh, anyone have a free pattern or idea for a Halloween throw

quilt?
I'm taking both Halloween and Thanksgiving fabrics with me.

--
Mary

: "frood" wrote in message
[...]

: --
: Wendy
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm

Old September 21st 05, 03:13 PM
Diana Curtis

Your wish is my command! Im taking it to the park with me today to
see what using my free time can accomplish.
Thank you for the encouragement!
Diana

Patti wrote:
Oh, Diana, you've started that dahlia. I can't wait to see it.
Hurry up please g
.
In message , Diana Curtis
writes

Send up smoke signals if you need help!
Diana, currently working on a dahlia quilt and a nine patch and
snowballs in blues and orange for a boy who lost everything to Katrina.

Betty in Wi wrote:

Betty (buried in fabric in WI)

Old September 21st 05, 03:42 PM
Anne in CA

Of course it will only be 3 days Roberta. Three days in the "kitchen guy
time/space dimension" that is. Just like my wood floor installation was
finished in "just one week". I'm still working on the formula to
translate our time/space dimension into a general "contractor's time"
but there are just so many variables ... kitchen guy, floor guy, general
contractor guy, cabinet guy ... Will try to publish it in Science or
Nature or somewhere when the formula is complete.

Anne in CA -- giddy to have my broadband Internet connection back after
5 days in "cable guy limbo" ...

"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://home.comcast.net/~annerudolph/

Old September 21st 05, 03:49 PM
maryd

I would appreciate the measurements. I gathered a bunch of my fall fabrics
to take to California with me.

--
Mary

"frood" wrote in message
om...
: That one was really easy, and I used the design based on one someone who
: used to post here used - SunnyQuilts- she used to live near me, and showed
: me a floral one she had done. It worked out great, as I could cut the 10"
: swap squares into 4 pieces for the larger rectangle. I'm not sure they
were
: 6", tho. I could get it out and measure them for you. It's about that
time!
:
: --
: Wendy
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm
: un-STUFF email address to reply
:
:
:
:
: "maryd" wrote in message
: ...
: I like both but I really like the streak of lightening.
:
: --
: Mary
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
:
:
:
:

Old September 21st 05, 04:45 PM
Pat in Virginia

Right now I am sorting UFO for the upcoming guild UFO challenge.
I need to submit a numbered list of 1 to 10 UFO projects. Then
every month the coordinators will pull a number and the projects
with that number will be due FINISHED at Show and Tell two months
later. So we won't know when each item will come up in the
rotation. We submit the list in October, then in December the
number will be pulled for the February UFO Show and Tell. Since I
have way more than 10 UFO, I need to think about this. I also
need to separate those items I may need to finish and send to
someone on a different deadline.
PAT in VA/USA