Two-tone 8 metre flower to knit

Old May 13th 05, 06:15 PM
Penny Gaines

Default Two-tone 8 metre flower to knit

I've just been experimenting, to see if I can knit a flower from
4m of yarn - I couldn't. So I adapted the pattern a bit, and came
up with a way to knit a flower using two 4m lengths - I used up
most of one length and had just under 2m of the other one.

I used double-knit cotton, which I cut to exactly 4m. I used 3 1/4mm
needles - I think that's US size 3.

Make a slip knot in one length, and tie the other length to this.
Using the thumb method and holding a different yarn in each hand, cast
on 66 stitches. At the end, you shuld have all loops on the needle in
one colour (yarn A), and the other colour (yarn B), as loops underneath
the needle.

Row 1: With yarn A: purl.
Row 2: With yarn A: K2 * K1, slip this stitch back to the left needle, and
lift over the next 5 (unknitted) stitches, then pass this stitch
back to the right needle, K2 *, repeat from * to end - 26 stitches
Row 3: With yarn B: purl
Row 4: With yarn B: K2 tog to end (13 stitches)
Row 5: With yarn B: purl
Row 6: With yarn B: K2, until the last stitch, K (7 stitches)

Thread the tail of yarn B through the sttches, and pull tight: use this
tail to sew the yarn B rows into a circle, and finish off. Using the end
of yarn A sew the yarn A rows to complete the flower shape, and neaten off
all the ends.

Your flower should have an outer edge of yarn A, with an inner edge of
yarn B, yarn A 'petals' and a yarn B inside.

If you want to copy this pattern to a website that's OK by me, as long as
you say it was first posted on Rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 13th 05, 06:33 PM
Matthew Hollands

Thank you for sharing your pattern, Penny! )

Now if I can figure out how to cast on with thumbs instead of with needles,
I'll give it a try. Meanwhile I've forwarded the pattern to my email for
future reference.

My Aunt Lilly (my Dad's oldest sister) made some beautiful crocheted flowers
(I loved the roses best), but when she gave me all her crochet patterns she
couldn't find those patterns anywhere.

Gemini

Old May 13th 05, 11:18 PM
Aud

"Penny Gaines" skrev i melding
[...]

Penny, this is late in the evening here,
I (sleepy) went down to shut down the PC,
but this is interresting!!! I wake up! LOL!
I have saved this , and will try it! :-)
AUD ;-))

Old May 14th 05, 04:15 PM
Penny Gaines

Aud wrote:

"Penny Gaines" skrev i melding
I've just been experimenting, to see if I can knit a flower from
4m of yarn - I couldn't. So I adapted the pattern a bit, and came
up with a way to knit a flower using two 4m lengths - I used up
most of one length and had just under 2m of the other one.

I used double-knit cotton, which I cut to exactly 4m. I used 3 1/4mm
needles - I think that's US size 3.

[snip]
Your flower should have an outer edge of yarn A, with an inner edge of
yarn B, yarn A 'petals' and a yarn B inside.

[snip]

Penny, this is late in the evening here,
I (sleepy) went down to shut down the PC,
but this is interresting!!! I wake up! LOL!
I have saved this , and will try it! :-)
AUD ;-))

Thanks! I'm very proud of it. This is the first knitting pattern I've
designed: I've altered existing patterns, but never invented a new one.
I did get the basic idea from a flower in a magazine, but I changed the
number of petals, the size of the petals, and the lengths of the yarn.

Interestingly, although it used up less of yarn B, yarn B seemed to be
the more dominant colour.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 14th 05, 06:31 PM

Hi Penny,

Will we get to see a picture of it? It sounds lovely.

Hugs,

Nora

Old May 14th 05, 10:21 PM
Tante Jan

"Penny Gaines" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for the "Penny" flower pattern. I'm saving it to try later but
have a question about Row 6 - should that be K2 tog?
Also, I would like to please know the diameter of your flower.
--
Jan in MN

Old May 15th 05, 01:21 AM
emerald

I've just been experimenting, to see if I can knit a flower from
4m of yarn - I couldn't. So I adapted the pattern a bit, and came
up with a way to knit a flower using two 4m lengths - I used up
most of one length and had just under 2m of the other one.

snipped

This sounds lovely Penny!
I can't imagine being able to come up with a design from scratch.

Eimear

Old May 15th 05, 02:15 PM
Penny Gaines

Tante Jan wrote:

[...]

Oh yes, of course it should: thank you for spotting that.

Also, I would like to please know the diameter of your flower.

They're about 2.5 inches across - or 6.5cm seeing as I'm using metric
lengths and metric needles :-).

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 15th 05, 02:15 PM
Penny Gaines

emerald wrote:

I've just been experimenting, to see if I can knit a flower from
4m of yarn - I couldn't. So I adapted the pattern a bit, and came
up with a way to knit a flower using two 4m lengths - I used up
most of one length and had just under 2m of the other one.

snipped

This sounds lovely Penny!
I can't imagine being able to come up with a design from scratch.

Eimear

Well, I started with a flower design from a magazine, so it wasn't entirely
from scratch. But I changed the number of petals, the number of
stitches per petal, the number of rows and the number of colours so it
I think it is sufficiently different to publish on the internet without
breakng copyright laws.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three