Fabric Quest: McLaren Tartan in cotton

Old August 21st 03, 12:03 PM
georg

Default Fabric Quest: McLaren Tartan in cotton

Hi there!

My parents are very into Boy Scouts. Troop leaders at the various levels
have training sessions of something called Wood Badge, and my parents
are at the level where they volunteer to teach for Wood Badge. And one
of the chosen symbols for Wood Badge is the McLaren tartan. Mom is a
quilter and sewer of many things. She'd like a source for this tartan in
cotton if at all possible. We know it exists because the Boy Scouts sell
it as a table runner:
http://www.scoutstuff.org/items/ww02200/02200.jpg
or for more description, http://www.scoutstuff.org/cgi/catalog and click
Leaders - Wood Badge - table runner. The java won't let me link to
just that item description.

Am willing to trade fabric or money for the fabric. Will negotiate.

I have urged the parents to write to the Boy Scouts as to the
distributers of the fabric, but they anticipate no solid response.

They have no interest in the fabric in wool- they only want it in cotton.

Thank you,
-georg

Old August 21st 03, 12:14 PM
frood

My last name was McLaren before I married! Now it's Kuehr-McLaren, harder to
get a tartan for! g

I'll ask my mom is she knows anything about the tartan done in cotton.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old August 21st 03, 12:57 PM
georg

frood wrote:
My last name was McLaren before I married! Now it's Kuehr-McLaren, harder to
get a tartan for! g

I'll ask my mom is she knows anything about the tartan done in cotton.

Thank you!

-georg

Old August 21st 03, 04:04 PM
MerryStahel

House Of Tartan is one of the most famous ones in Scotland. It is where my
daughters went and had the Gray plaid specially woven for me (they had to pay
in advance and it was shipped several months later). We are a sept of the
Camerons and the Sutherlands.

http://www.house-of-tartan.scotland.net/

I am not positively certain, but I believe I read somewhere...Mc is the Irish
abbreviation - and Mac is the Scottish one.
If you type in McLaren - it will bring you to MaClaren. If you type in
MacLaren, it will bring you to MacLaren and all its attendent plaids.

HTH!

Merry

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://www.stardancerpress.com/MerryStahel/
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old August 21st 03, 06:43 PM
georg

MerryStahel wrote:
House Of Tartan is one of the most famous ones in Scotland. It is where my
daughters went and had the Gray plaid specially woven for me (they had to pay
in advance and it was shipped several months later). We are a sept of the
Camerons and the Sutherlands.

http://www.house-of-tartan.scotland.net/

I am not positively certain, but I believe I read somewhere...Mc is the Irish
abbreviation - and Mac is the Scottish one.
If you type in McLaren - it will bring you to MaClaren. If you type in
MacLaren, it will bring you to MacLaren and all its attendent plaids.

Yes, it's MacLaren Modern plaid, or McLaren modern, depending on which
site you go to. The one mentioned above will do silk, wool, or made made
materials, but Mom wants *cotton*. That's the hard part.

The Boy Scouts use the term McLaren, for whatever reason, hence my
choice of term.

-georg

Old August 21st 03, 06:52 PM
MerryStahel

Georg,

Send them and email and ASK if they do cotton. They said they do some man-made
fibers.

Old August 21st 03, 07:14 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Is cotton "man-made" where you are, Merry? VBG
Ragmop/Sandy

Old August 21st 03, 07:16 PM
georg

MerryStahel wrote:
Georg,

Send them and email and ASK if they do cotton. They said they do some man-made
fibers.

Cotton isn't man-made. But I'll ask.

-georg

Old August 21st 03, 08:47 PM
frood

georg,
I checked with my mom, and she said to try these places:
http://www.scottishlion.com/
http://www.house-of-tartan.scotland.net/
http://www.ewm.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.scotlands.com/tp/

My father, Alan McLaren, always insisted that "McLaren" not "MacLaren" was
the correct way. He also claimed that Alan was the only proper way to spell
that name. Stubbornness is a family trait.

Old August 21st 03, 09:42 PM
georg

frood wrote:
georg,
I checked with my mom, and she said to try these places:
http://www.scottishlion.com/
http://www.house-of-tartan.scotland.net/
http://www.ewm.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.scotlands.com/tp/

My father, Alan McLaren, always insisted that "McLaren" not "MacLaren" was
the correct way. He also claimed that Alan was the only proper way to spell
that name. Stubbornness is a family trait.

Thank you, Wendy! Forawrding this on to my mum.

-georg

Contagious Cotton - 10% OFF Quilting Fabric & Squares! Contagious Cotton Marketplace 0 December 15th 03 12:34 AM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Pre-Cut fabric quilting squares 100% cotton Wes Jones Marketplace 0 September 28th 03 05:43 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM
Quest for a Leary jacket or fabric pattern or design Gerrit Wessendorf Marketplace 2 August 23rd 03 08:58 PM