Help with an embroidery for quilt block question

Old September 4th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly

Default Help with an embroidery for quilt block question

Hi every one,

I want to machine embroider onto an appliqué block some letters that
say.. Bernina. I have a mix pack of Sulky stabilizers which I've had
for donkeys years but never got to use. In it there's tear-easy,
totally stable, solvy, heat-away and sticky. Which one should i use
to put on back to stablize the block part I'm going to embroider?

thanks for your help
Elly

Old September 4th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Hi Elly, if your block size is smaller than the hoop - the stabilizer
to use is the 'sticky'. Otherwise, I would use the 'tear-easy' one for
your purpose. Totally stable was designed basically for use on knits
or other stretchy fabrics; heat-away is meant for delicate
embroideries where tearing a stabilizer away would distort the work -
as in lace work or some open work techniques - the solvy is perfect to
use for free-standing techniques or lacework, or to use on napped
fabrics like towelling to keep the fibres from migrating through the
embroidery motif. Solvy and Heat-away are usually 'topper'
stabilizers while the others that you have, work underneath the
embroidery. If you only wanted to hoop your block but stabilize under
the area where your text will go - then you could also use the
'totally stable' pressed in place - it does tear away when finished.
It is always a good idea to test out the effect of your embroidery on
various stabilizers before deciding on the one that you like the most
- then buy lots of it!
jennellh )

Old September 4th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly

On Sep 4, 2:02 pm, Elly wrote:

Hi every one,

I want to machine embroider onto an appliqué block some letters that
say.. Bernina. I have a mix pack of Sulky stabilizers which I've had
for donkeys years but never got to use. In it there's tear-easy,
totally stable, solvy, heat-away and sticky. Which one should i use
to put on back to stablize the block part I'm going to embroider?

thanks for your help
Elly

Thank you Jennellh, I never thought of a hoop so thanks for that
too. I'll have a few practice runs at it too on some scrap.
Elly

Old September 5th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Elly, using a hoop is a little awkard to maneuver but does a pretty job. Do
you understand that you put the fabric in the hoop upside down? Well. Not
exactly that. You want the fabric to be firmly down flat against the bed of
the SM instead of raised up like it would be for hand embroidery. Clear as
mud? Polly

ups.com...

Old September 5th 07, 08:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly

On Sep 5, 1:45 am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Elly, using a hoop is a little awkard to maneuver but does a pretty job. Do
you understand that you put the fabric in the hoop upside down? Well. Not
exactly that. You want the fabric to be firmly down flat against the bed of
the SM instead of raised up like it would be for hand embroidery. Clear as
mud? Polly

ups.com...

On Sep 4, 2:02 pm, Elly wrote:

Hi every one,

I want to machine embroider onto an appliqué block some letters that
say.. Bernina. I have a mix pack of Sulky stabilizers which I've had
for donkeys years but never got to use. In it there's tear-easy,
totally stable, solvy, heat-away and sticky. Which one should i use
to put on back to stablize the block part I'm going to embroider?

thanks for your help
Elly

Thank you Jennellh, I never thought of a hoop so thanks for that
too. I'll have a few practice runs at it too on some scrap.
Elly

Thanks for the reminder Polly. Yes I did know but haven't done it
before so would have been fumbling
around until the memory chip clicked in. I hope to give it ago
sometime today later on as I've got lunch out
with a non quilting friend today as it's her birthday. It's okay to
use an ordinary hoop I hope as I don't have one specifically for a
machine. I have tried using a hoop (quilting one) with some machine
quilting once, so I guess an ordinary embroidery hoop should be
okay.... Hmmm I think I answered my own question.
Elly

Old September 5th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:02:46 -0500, Elly wrote
(in article .com):

Hi every one,

I want to machine embroider onto an appliqué block some letters that
say.. Bernina. I have a mix pack of Sulky stabilizers which I've had
for donkeys years but never got to use. In it there's tear-easy,
totally stable, solvy, heat-away and sticky. Which one should i use
to put on back to stablize the block part I'm going to embroider?

thanks for your help
Elly

I'd say the Tear Easy would be stable enough if you're embroidering on
cotton.

Maureen

Old September 5th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Elly wrote:
On Sep 5, 1:45 am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Elly, using a hoop is a little awkard to maneuver but does a pretty job. Do
you understand that you put the fabric in the hoop upside down? Well. Not
exactly that. You want the fabric to be firmly down flat against the bed of
the SM instead of raised up like it would be for hand embroidery. Clear as
mud? Polly

ups.com...

On Sep 4, 2:02 pm, Elly wrote:
[...]

If you are using a built-in alphabet in your machine, I assume you are
working with the feed dogs up and a regular presser foot. In that case,
I don't think you need a hoop.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 5th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Maureen Wozniak wrote:
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:02:46 -0500, Elly wrote
(in article .com):

Hi every one,

I want to machine embroider onto an appliqué block some letters that
say.. Bernina. I have a mix pack of Sulky stabilizers which I've had
for donkeys years but never got to use. In it there's tear-easy,
totally stable, solvy, heat-away and sticky. Which one should i use
to put on back to stablize the block part I'm going to embroider?

thanks for your help
Elly

I'd say the Tear Easy would be stable enough if you're embroidering on
cotton.

Maureen

I always machine emb. my label for the quilt back, and just use Stitch
'n Tear under the fabric - no hoop, and it goes like a dream. I just
tear the paper away at the end.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old September 5th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly

On Sep 5, 8:04 pm, Sally Swindells
wrote:
Maureen Wozniak wrote:
[...]

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ukhttp://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

Thanks everyone for your inputs... I'm going to have a go.. fingers
crossed.. Elly