accurate measuring for bracelets and stiffness problem

Old October 29th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default accurate measuring for bracelets and stiffness problem

Hi, Ihave two questions. You may respond off-post to
(preferable for me if easy for you).

1. I realize every woman's wrist is a different size, but I often see
bracelets, etcs for sale that are already made using a toggle clasp.
It is my preferred way of making a bracelet. I have tried stretch
but don't like it for various reasons. I'm horrible at math so I'm
really bad at measuring perfectly.

My question: Is there a 'standard' size for bracelets to make for
sale? I plan to offer custom sizes as well, but would like to have
some all ready to go. I thought it was seven inches *including* the
clasp. Am I wrong?

2. I tend to get alot of stiffness with my wire. Using beadalon 19
strand and 49 strand for the heavier. Leaving about 1/8th inch or a
little more wire atthe loop to the toggle clasp. What determines the
stiffness of the bracelet. I'd like to get that stretchy bracelet feel
but using wire. Thanks.

Libbi

Old October 30th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:48:36 GMT, wrote:

Hi, Ihave two questions. You may respond off-post to
(preferable for me if easy for you).

1. I realize every woman's wrist is a different size, but I often see
bracelets, etcs for sale that are already made using a toggle clasp.
It is my preferred way of making a bracelet. I have tried stretch
but don't like it for various reasons. I'm horrible at math so I'm
really bad at measuring perfectly.

You should only sell stretch bracelets if you tell people they won't
last long. If you're selling to the public in person, you should have
different sizes available. If you're selling on the website, you can
keep partially-made bracelets to finish to size.

My question: Is there a 'standard' size for bracelets to make for
sale? I plan to offer custom sizes as well, but would like to have
some all ready to go. I thought it was seven inches *including* the
clasp. Am I wrong?

A lot of women can't wear a 7" bracelet. Your choice as to what you
make.

2. I tend to get alot of stiffness with my wire. Using beadalon 19
strand and 49 strand for the heavier. Leaving about 1/8th inch or a
little more wire atthe loop to the toggle clasp. What determines the
stiffness of the bracelet. I'd like to get that stretchy bracelet feel
but using wire. Thanks.

Beadalon isn't wire, it's cable. I use Softflex, I think it's better.
If it's stiff, it's because you're making the bracelet too tight. If
you use all larger beads, for example, there's no flex. You need to
make sure you use seed beads to separate the larger beads and that
will give you more flex.

You'll get more answers at rec.crafts.beads.
--
Marilee J. Layman