How to make quilt with scraps and no pattern?

Old October 11th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default How to make quilt with scraps and no pattern?

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:56:37 -0400, Just Judy
wrote:

Hi folks,

It's been a year since I was here, looking for information &
suggestions for making a king-size *patchwork* quilt as a gift for bro
& s-i-l. The quilt turned out absoposilutely gorgeous! G

My current quandry has been caused by a humongous quantity of
fabric scraps given to me by a friend who, sadly, will never quilt
again. RIP, Chris. My goal here is little more than to have
something to do to keep my hands busy, and to make a quilt from the
fabric given to me by the friend who taught me to quilt many years ago.
Memories, dontchaknow.

Previous *patchwork* quilts I have done probably wouldn't seem
patchwork to ya'll because they were made from a combo of plain fabric,
with one complementary patterned fabric on the top, and the same plain
on the underside. I merely alternated the two fabrics for the top,
which resulted in a pretty quilt, but not the usual style.

Now I want to make a queen-sized quilt. You'll need to know
that my math skills are non-existent. I_will_not_use_a_pattern.
Please don't suggest *easy* patterns; if they involve ANY math, they
won't be easy. G

My scraps are 3-1/2 x 6 inches, and range from brightly
patterned to the very subdued colors, all in 100% cotton. Since I
*cannot* and will not! use a pattern, what suggestions can ya'll make?

Do you think it would be better if I folded the 6" fabric to
result in patches of 3-1/2 x 3 inches? If so, should I fold them over
before sewing them on the machine.

As before, please post your responses here; I'll be back to see
what the experts have to say.

Thanks from Florida,

Your scraps are perfect for a brick quilt. No math involved. And
brick quilts are a type of charm quilt, using as many different prints
as possible.

Row 1--Join a line of 3 1/2 X 6 inch rectangles by sewing along the
short sides. You want this line to be as wide as you want the quilt
to become.

Row 2-- Join another line of rectangles the same way, but add one more
rectangle.

Continue making rows, as many as you will need. All odd numbered rows
are made like row 1, and all even numbered rows are made like row 2.

To join rows mark the center of each row and match the center points.
This should make a little bit of row 2 extend beyond each end of row
1. After sewing the rows together you can trim the excess off of each
long row.

Add a border if you want to. Then quilt and bind.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 12th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary Anna

Oooh, I like the idea of a scrappy quilt and off-setting the seams!
Perfect for a beginner like me. No seams to match up, yay! I think I'm
going to try one of those; I've got a bunch of scraps that were given
to me.

Mary Anna

Old October 12th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On 11 Oct 2006 18:18:58 -0700, "Mary Anna"
wrote:

Oooh, I like the idea of a scrappy quilt and off-setting the seams!
Perfect for a beginner like me. No seams to match up, yay! I think I'm
going to try one of those; I've got a bunch of scraps that were given
to me.

Mary Anna

All straight seams, and no points to worry about either. Have fun
sewing.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at