Quilt Show Suggestions Needed

Old July 8th 04, 09:06 PM
Pat in Virginia

Default Quilt Show Suggestions Needed

Hello All!
My quilt guild is planning a Quilt Show for April 30 - May 1,
2005. I volunteered to be on the committee. (Musta been high on
the fumes of the new fabric I've been buying!!)

We had the first Show Committee meeting a few days ago and it was
well attended. Jobs were assigned to whoever volunteered for
them. I quickly got my name on the list for an easy job. I will
be doing the 'Souvenirs and Pins' task.

My job is to investigate possible souvenir items that we can sell
at the Show. I will present options to committee and follow up
with ordering from the manufacturer. I also have to get pins made
up. The pin and other souvenir will probably feature the logo and
the theme.

So far we have the logo ... a blue and white Double Irish Chain
Quilt. (That is our WIP Raffle Quilt.) We have not yet selected
the theme, or name, for the Show.

Now to my questions! First, do you have a good idea for the Show
name? Next: What do you like as a Show Souvenir? What have you
seen at Shows? What would you like to buy at Shows? Some items
we've had at past events include coffee mugs, pocket address
books, and retractable tape measures. I want to get something
unique, fun, and useful.

I will really appreciate your contributions!! In fact, I will
send your some no-calorie chocolate! You know, the invisible
cyber kind!!

Thanks, PAT in VA/USA

Old July 8th 04, 10:29 PM
Kellie J. Berger

-bags (like the ones we signed at IQF Houston)
- if you could find one.... i have forever been looking for a perpetual
calender small enough to fit in a purse (for logging in bdays etc.) would
be even better with the quilt block on it!
- lanyards for scissors/glasses/???
- are pictures allowed to be taken? Maybe a small photo album/frame to keep
their memories/ideas
- magnets
- ever popular t-shirts
- key chains
- sketch books/diary

I'll keep thinkin on it for you!

-- kellie
bergerk at sbcglobal dot net
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ber....net/my_photos

Old July 8th 04, 11:31 PM
Sandy Foster

In article EOhHc.358$hi.23@lakeread03,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

snip

Now to my questions! First, do you have a good idea for the Show
name? Next: What do you like as a Show Souvenir? What have you
seen at Shows? What would you like to buy at Shows? Some items
we've had at past events include coffee mugs, pocket address
books, and retractable tape measures. I want to get something
unique, fun, and useful.

Pat, I'm going to suggest something I've *never* seen at a show, but
it's something I think *should* be a no-brainer. G What about a
souvenir thimble? After all, quilters use thimbles for hand quilting and
probably for hand piecing, too. I suspect that many of us have thimble
collections, and thimbles don't take up much space. They might not
qualify as "useful" in the same sense as a retractable tape measure, but
I think they make perfect sense. Just my $.02.

I will really appreciate your contributions!! In fact, I will
send your some no-calorie chocolate! You know, the invisible
cyber kind!!

Thanks, PAT in VA/USA

Drat! I like the fattening kind, as my hips will attest. But, if you
do end up with thimbles, please pick one up for me to add to my
collection. G I'll be more than happy to pay you for it!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old July 9th 04, 12:37 AM
Polly Esther

It's never crossed my mind to buy a souvenir at a quilt show so I won't be
much help, but I do think your show date is very close to: Cinco de Mayo -
probably not a big holiday in Virginia, and Mother's Day. What could you
offer that those attending the quilt show might want to buy for their
mothers? (Or, hee, he, he, for themselves for Mother's Day, just as a
complete surprise, of course). Polly

Old July 9th 04, 01:57 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Kellie J. Berger" wrote:

-bags (like the ones we signed at IQF Houston)
- if you could find one.... i have forever been looking for a perpetual
calender small enough to fit in a purse (for logging in bdays etc.) would
be even better with the quilt block on it!
- lanyards for scissors/glasses/???
- are pictures allowed to be taken? Maybe a small photo album/frame to keep
their memories/ideas
- magnets
- ever popular t-shirts
- key chains
- sketch books/diary

I'll keep thinkin on it for you!

-- kellie

Ohhhhh, good list. I just bought a plastic case - it's cheapie plastic
and the top pops off - to put my rotary cutter in when going to a class.
It was a couple of dollars and I love it. In fact, my little and my
regular size cutter both fit inside nicely. The picture on the sticker
label also said the container could hold glasses. I wonder if you could
get your logo printed on one of those....?

marcella
Old July 9th 04, 03:16 AM
Pat in Virginia

Oh, Marcella .... good one! A rotary cutter case would be
terrific. Do you still have the label? I was wondering who the
manufacture is on this case. Also wondering if you bought at a
chain store or what. Further info might move you up on the cyber
chocolate list!!
Grins and thanks, PAT

Old July 9th 04, 03:20 AM
Pat in Virginia

Thanks for the great list, Kellie. I especially like the lanyard
for scissors ... maybe useful for membership card/name tag too!
It could have the guild name printed into the ribbon. Not sure
what this calendar would be, but it definitely has possibilities.
Are you thinking g of something on the order of the Hallmark
purse calendar, but perpetual instead of annual? TTFN, PAT

Old July 9th 04, 04:25 AM
SunnyQuilt

Pat,
At our guild's quilt show in September 1996 we had mugs to sell. They had the
logo of the guild and the date of the show on them. Bad mistake! Hurricane Fran
plowed through a few days before the show and so our attendance was way down.
People were too busy cleaning up after the storm to come look at quilts. We had
dozens of mugs left, and since they were dated, we couldn't sell them at future
shows. We really lost money on that one!

So, my advise is: don't date whatever you plan to sell!

SunnyQuilt

Old July 9th 04, 04:30 AM
Tracey

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
= Now to my questions! First, do you have a good idea for the Show
name? Next: What do you like as a Show Souvenir?

What have you
seen at Shows? What would you like to buy at Shows? Some items
we've had at past events include coffee mugs, pocket address
books, and retractable tape measures. I want to get something
unique, fun, and useful.

Tote bags! Needle cases, mousepads, pens, quilted items like change purses,
eyeglass cases, cosmetic bags.

=

Old July 9th 04, 05:26 AM
Kellie J. Berger

calendar... yes, kinda like the Hallmark purse calendar. Checkbook size or
even half that... something that you can mark the month/date in but doesn't
have the days of the week. So if a festival is always the 3rd Saturday of
Octember you can put that in. Or if Aunt Suzie Jo and Uncle Billy's
anniversary is a *must remember* you can put that in too.

There was something else I was looking for to tell you about, but I don't
know what it is called. A lady at my quilting bee had them this week. They
are clear vinyl, um... envelopes? file folders? that have elastic loops that
fasten over a button to close them. They are about 12.75" square and expand
to about a half inch wide. Just big enough to carry your 12 blocks around
to classes or bees to work on them or to store them in order while they are
waiting their turn. You could somehow maybe put your logo on them I would
think. She said they were given to her, but she thinks she has seen them
in Office Supply stores.

oh... and I like the thimble idea too!
--

Kellie J. Berger wrote:

-bags (like the ones we signed at IQF Houston)
- if you could find one.... i have forever been looking for a perpetual
calender small enough to fit in a purse (for logging in bdays etc.)

would
be even better with the quilt block on it!
- lanyards for scissors/glasses/???
- are pictures allowed to be taken? Maybe a small photo album/frame to

keep
their memories/ideas
- magnets
- ever popular t-shirts
- key chains
- sketch books/diary

I'll keep thinkin on it for you!

I went to a quilt show last Sunday--long Debra Quilting 6 March 26th 04 03:54 AM
Sun Prarie Wi Quilt Show Mauvice Murphy Quilting 4 March 24th 04 08:39 PM
Need help setting up a new judged award at quilt show Rich & Midge Quilting 1 February 10th 04 05:41 PM
Advice on quilt show award MJ Quilting 0 February 8th 04 10:24 PM
NJ - Love Apple's Quilt Show Melissa in NJ Quilting 9 February 7th 04 08:20 PM