Plebiscite vote on Sunday Shopping in NS

Old October 17th 04, 12:56 PM
Fred

Default Plebiscite vote on Sunday Shopping in NS

Congratulations!!

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
55% said no to Sunday Shopping, so there will be none in the
foreseeable future.

Apparently we are real deadbeats, the only place of any size in north
America who will not shop on Sundays. It has zilch to do with
religion and all to do with intrinsic values. It is lovely to see the
city take on Sunday slow time, I would have missed it. For those who
feel a family outing on Sunday is wandering round a mall, too bad in
this instance.

I am so happy I shall do a

Old October 17th 04, 08:49 PM
Saphira

I understand the reasoning behind this, but I have to chime in: for those of
us who work in healthcare, especially the odd shifts, Sunday may be the only
day we get to do some of the shopping we need to do. I know "You could shop
during the day the rest of the week". But that's sleep time: when I get out
of work at 9 AM after being up all night, the last thing I want to do is
shop, especially if the only time I have to see my family is the two or
three hours before I go back to work in the evening.

Perhaps the mall isn't so essential, but I'm thinking of things like the
supermarkets and drug stores.

Isabel

--
WIPS:
Nursing School

Old October 17th 04, 09:31 PM
SEL

We started out with shopping on Sundays noon to 4 in our area of Ontario.
Then it grew to 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. The reasoning was as Isabel points out -
we have alot of shift workers, etc. who appreciated having the extra hours
on the Sunday. And it made sense. For a few years.

Then suddenly we had 24-hour shopping. 24 hour Walmarts, 24 hour grocery
stores, 24 hour Home Depots, etc. Reason ? Shift workers. And yes, these
stores are all remarkably busy at 2 a.m. - or at least busier than I ever
expected them to be, the few times I've gone in at ridiculous hours. Do I
appreciate the convenience ? Yes. I work very long hours, 6 and 7 days a
week. But it does make me wonder about "family time". I think "family
time" is often spent at the mall or shopping, if not in front of the
television or Internet.

Now I do notice a backlash in my area - the 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Sunday shopping
is shrinking to 12:00 p.m. to 5 p.m. in alot of malls/shops. But there is a
similar increase in stores moving to 24 hours.

I say good for N.S. though
Shannon L.

Old October 18th 04, 12:01 AM
Pat EAXStitch

"SEL" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I really can`t see any objection to it - if you don`t like it, you don`t
have to go, after all.

There were objections here when it was first tried - but now no-one thinks
any more of it. Family outings don`t seem to be affected ( There`s always
another day to either shop OR to go on the family outing)and people forget
how frustrating it used to be if you needed something urgently even whilst
out on the family outings - to find every shop shut. The people keeping the
shops open on a Sunday don`t seem to feel deprived - far from it. I`ve even
heard some of the checkout girls saying it`s great leaving their husband
looking after the kids while they have a change of scenery and meet people!

Sunday shopping definitely isn`t ALL bad news!

What a storm in a tea-cup!

Pat P

Old October 18th 04, 01:07 AM
Saphira

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message:

It is about choices and in this instance I chose no, mostly for protection

of the lowest paid workers who would get stuck with those Sundays.

And I would argue that in many areas, especially in the US, those workers
are many times teenagers trying to do something utterly unessential like pay
for a car or the tanning sessions or the...fill in the blank. In some cases
it's teenagers saving money for college. In some cases, it's people like my
friends who are home all week with the kids and use the Sunday at work as a
way to do something different. Yes, I know many workers have to work
Sunday, and that they are the lowest paid, but I can tell you that around
here our mall employees make more per hour than our Certified Nursing
Assistants and that some of the stock clerks at Wal-Mart make more than I do
as an LPN.

You are in a line of work where you knew you would work shifts so that is

different, the choice was always yours. I know many nurses who do only
nights, thus escaping any daycare costs because one or other parent is
home.

I chose the line of work I chose because I love it. I worked nights for a
long time because it was the only thing I could get, not because I wanted
nights. Now I work evenings, which I like better, but I can't work days
because I'm in school. When I get out of work at 2 AM because every single
one of my 30 residents needs a progress note, a Medicare or Medicaid check
sheet and so on, I'm not too inclined to first get out of bed at 6 AM, but I
do to make it to clinical or class. Then I go back to work. Did I make
that choice? Yes. Would I change it? No. By the same token, if the only
time I can get groceries or do laundry or pick up dry cleaning is on Sunday
morning because it's the only time I'm not obligated to work or school, then
that's what's going to happen. Without nurses willing to work odd shifts
(voluntarily or not), the healthcare system would fall apart worse than it
is (at least here in the US). The nurses choosing to work nights so they
can avoid paying for childcare made those decisions for valid reasons and
that's fine, but not everyone is going to be able to fit into their
particular schedule.

I'm not advocating that every single large mall should be open--perhaps it
shouldn't--but some things need to be. And those employees took those jobs
knowing that they'd also be asked to work weekends and odd shifts. Do I
think those places should be open on Easter or Thanksgiving or Christmas or
New Years? Nope. I not Christian (I'm Jewish and I work Christmas and
Easter because I take other days off in return and because for at least one
other nurse, I can be a help), but I think that they are at the very least
important family holidays and that with few exceptions, nobody should be
headed off to work. Do I think 24 hour shopping places like Wal-Mart are
necessary? Not really. A 24 hour pharmacy, but at least around here, we've
got one tied to a local emergency room.

I also remember when my parents had to run to the bank on their lunch hour,
when nothing was electronic, and when there were no ATM machines. I also
remember that kids were a lot less programmed, that we had more unscheduled
time at home, and that my parents worked overtime only rarely. That's
changed so much that it's hard to find time during "normal business hours"
to take care of everything.

Isabel
--
WIPS:
Nursing School

Old October 18th 04, 01:45 AM
Ruby Scott

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
When everything is said and done, no more money will be spent. I
imagine the big box stores soon figure out just when the money
actually rolls in and cut the other hours.

It's lovely to see the city 'rest' on Sundays. Other things take the
place, yard sales, flea markets, little entrepreneurs in parking lots,
so the time is not exactly wasted. Just nicely different.

I too voted no . I started out on the yes side as I really didn't care if
other people shopped on Sunday. but after listening to all the opinions (
some great public debate around this issue ) especially from those who would
have to work and the small business who would have to open or not be able to
compete I changed my mind. I was a registered nurse and worked many
Sundays. One year when I was part time hours I worked every weekend but 4.
My choice as it was that or not work at all, child care issues. Very
difficult to get child care when ones work hours are always changing. My
husband was and is out of town due to his work most week days and nights.
People don't choose to get sick or need emergency surgery on a weekend.
People can choose to buy an onion on Saturday , Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or
Friday day or late into the evening. Just because I worked a lot of
Sundays doesn't mean I think everyone should. Just the opposite. I really
feel that for one day of the week that only essential services should be
open. And that could be Wednesday. Time to change the work week to reflect
a multicultural and multirelegious society. So Tuesday and Wednesday could
replace Saturday and Sunday. One day of relative leisure is more important
today than ever. And like Sheena I just enjoy the different pace of life
on a Sunday. One day that is different from the other 6. When I spend time
in places where Sunday shopping is the norm it is like every day is Friday
but Sunday never comes. The ants go marching.....
Different strokes for different folks. Vive la difference or how ever one
spells it.
ruby

Old October 18th 04, 03:00 AM
Saphira

A lot less programmed--in the US (can't speak for other places) kids seem to
be in this race to get into colleges. And not just the state university or
something, but the Yales and Harvards. I know kids--and it's been written
about in major news magazines and such, so it's not just here in my
area--who never get any down time. Every spare moment is something: music
lessons, swimming, Girl Scouts, field hockey, karate, volunteering, work.
The parents run themselves ragged trying to keep up with the Joneses.
Frankly, I'd like to see kids pick maybe 2 or 3 things other than their
studies which they are really enjoying and stick with those, but then again,
I'm also someone who didn't feel a great need to go to Harvard or Yale.

And like I said earlier, I'm not sure that I see a need for the big malls
(and yes, Wal-Mart, the big chains, included in that to be open). I'm
thinking of the supermarkets and pharmacies--the places that have
necessities, not the places where people go to buy too much plastic for
their kids to stomp all over and break. Besides, I could go into the evils
of Wal-Mart, my husband having worked there, but I won't :P

--
WIPS:
Nursing School
[...]

They did not take them knowing they would work Sundays here.
Interestingly many students were among the ones voting No, saying they
needed their Sundays to keep up with studies.

Do I
think those places should be open on Easter or Thanksgiving or Christmas

or
New Years? Nope. I not Christian (I'm Jewish and I work Christmas and
Easter because I take other days off in return and because for at least

one
other nurse, I can be a help), but I think that they are at the very

least
important family holidays and that with few exceptions, nobody should be
headed off to work. Do I think 24 hour shopping places like Wal-Mart are
necessary? Not really. A 24 hour pharmacy, but at least around here,

we've
got one tied to a local emergency room.

All the pharmacies in town can open if they choose, most do. Small
grocery stores, corner shops are open. This was a move to stop the
Wallymarts of the world being open. I can't think of a thing at
Wallymart that is so essential that you absolutely have to have it on
Sunday.

I also remember when my parents had to run to the bank on their lunch

hour,
when nothing was electronic, and when there were no ATM machines. I also
remember that kids were a lot less programmed, that we had more

unscheduled
time at home, and that my parents worked overtime only rarely. That's
changed so much that it's hard to find time during "normal business

hours"
to take care of everything.

I am curious as to what you mean by 'kids were a lot less programmed'
?

Isabel

Old October 18th 04, 03:17 AM
clancy

I agree with you Pat - if you want that 'family time' on Sundays - go for it
... but leave the rest of us alone who want to shop on Sundays ... I rarely
do shop on that 'family time day', mind you, cuz I am retired and have a
choice of seven days to shop, but knowing that I can means a lot to me.
Just came back from Kentucky - and do you realize that bloody State is 'dry'
on Sundays?? Couldn't even get a glass of wine in a nice restaurant!!
Horrible stuff. I lived however. Groan It's really funny tho' - you see
all kinds of signs advertising cigarettes at the pharmacies, yet one can't
buy a bottle of wine on Sunday ...... so smoke yourself to death then go
back to the same pharmacy and get your pills to hopefully make you better,
but don't ask for a last drink before you die cuz IT's SUNDAY!! Bwaaaaaah

I'm all for Sunday shopping - gotta keep up with the times, I say.

Had to get my last shot in to Sheena before she left this great country of
ours to go schmoooooooozing with friends over yonder. Luv Ya Baby :-))

Sharon (N.B.)

"Pat EAXStitch" wrote in message

.. .

Old October 18th 04, 05:40 AM
U9corn angel

I can't think of a thing at
Wallymart that is so essential that you absolutely have to have it on
Sunday.

Let's assume for the following example that the only store open 24/7 is
Walmart.

It's Sunday afternoon, someone in your family comes down sick and you have no
over the counter medication on hand to get through until you can get to the
doctor on Monday and get a prescription if needed, either because you simply
weren't prepared or because you've used up the stock you had on hand in dealing
with illness.

Or:
You have family coming for Sunday dinner and in the process of cooking, you
discover that you have an insufficent quantity of a vital ingredient. Even the
non-Supers here have a basic grocery department where I can obtain base
essentials such as milk, bread, eggs, cheese, coffee, etc.

I will readily admit that with appropriate planning these shouldn't happen, but
it DOES happen, and having a store where I can fulfil those unexpected needs on
Sunday is greatly appreciated.

And I'll also say from experience that the people who do work Sundays at each
of my local grocery stores (and once upon a time at Walmart, I don't know if
this is still the case) get a good-sized "shift differential" for working 3rd
shift or Sunday shifts. Therefore, those hours are often the most desirable,
especially to students, single or non-parent adults, or two-parent families
where one parent can be home with the children while the other works a retail
job on the non-"business hours" shifts.

OT - Sunday School Jalynne Beads 39 August 18th 04 02:56 AM
Vote the DRStamping Stamper of the Month Contest! Stephen Rubberstamps 0 November 22nd 03 04:50 PM
Vote for the November 2003 PCC Challenge Stephen Polymer Clay 0 November 22nd 03 02:40 PM
AD: Stamping Fibers, NEW sets, Ending SUNDAY & MONDAY 8 to 10pm EST Spot Rubberstamps 0 August 17th 03 11:35 PM
Vote for breast cancer calendar art Pat in Virginia Quilting 1 July 28th 03 09:47 PM