New Here - Getting Started

Old August 5th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
lantonel

Default New Here - Getting Started

Hi,

I just joined this group and thought I'd introduce my self. I make
beaded personalized rosaries, rosary bracelets, wrap around rosaries,
and medical ID bracelets.

I discovered polymer clay while I was searching for plane, train, and
truck beads for the bracelets I make. It was recommended that I make
some myself. At first I didn't think it would work, but after
searching on e-bay and seeing the many amazing things that can be made
using polymer clay, I have to try it. The trouble is I don't know
where to get started. I, of course, want to jump right in and be able
to make the adorable little bears and flower beads (and much more!)
that they are selling on e-bay, but I know that it's not that easy.
I've searched and searched on line, but can't seem to find a quick and
easy get started making adorable beads page!

Any tips on how to get started quickly - what I need, etc. would be
greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if they adorable figures
(strawberry shortcake, bears, butterflies, etc.) that they do on ebay
are sculpted by hand or by using molds? Either way these are some
seriously talented people. If I can just may some transportation beads
to be half as cute I'll be happy.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Lisa
Beaded Treasures by Lisa

Old August 5th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Hey Lisa..

To get started you'll need some basic tools:

Pasta machine (use the 40% off coupons at Michaels, AC Moore etc.)
Some basic tools like an Xacto knife, clay blade, needle tool
Clay!

Since you want to make beads, and caned beads at that, I recommend using
one of the firmer clays that cane well, such as Kato Polyclay or Fimo
Classic. Both can be a little more difficult to condition, but in the
end the strength and quality of the cane make it worthwhile.

If you want strong, but easier to condition, go for Premo. Don't even
look at Sculpey or Fimo Soft.

For some great beginner's books, check out my recommended list at
amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi...187936?ie=UTF8

Barbara
Beader and Polymer Clay Crusader

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting with site builder and 50 apps? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com.