Tibetan Silver on ebay

Old January 15th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bartje m

Default Tibetan Silver on ebay

Hi,

In The Netherlands it is forbidden to call someting silver if it isn't
at least 80% pure silver. How is that in various other countries? Is it
allowed to sell "Tibetan Silver" if there is no silver in the product? I
looked at ebay and found thousands of products that can impossible be
silver.

Bartje
Old January 15th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

On Jan 15, 7:21*am, bartje m wrote:
Hi,

In The Netherlands it is forbidden to call someting silver if it isn't
at least 80% pure silver. How is that in various other countries? Is it
allowed to sell "Tibetan Silver" if there is no silver in the product? I
looked at ebay and found thousands of products that can impossible be
silver.

Bartje

Hey Bartje. "Tibetan Silver" has long been known to be pot metal
silver. Not .935 pure (like sterling) or .99 pure (like Thai
Silver). Basically, it looks silver and has some silver content, but
is not.

Becki
Old January 16th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bartje m

Beckibead wrote:
On Jan 15, 7:21 am, bartje m wrote:
Hi,

In The Netherlands it is forbidden to call someting silver if it isn't
at least 80% pure silver. How is that in various other countries? Is it
allowed to sell "Tibetan Silver" if there is no silver in the product? I
looked at ebay and found thousands of products that can impossible be
silver.

Bartje

Hey Bartje. "Tibetan Silver" has long been known to be pot metal
silver. Not .935 pure (like sterling) or .99 pure (like Thai
Silver). Basically, it looks silver and has some silver content, but
is not.

Becki

That much I understood, but is it legal? In The Netherlands it is not,
if it says Tibetan Silver it should be at least 80%. I'm asking because
we get loads of it at local websites now, and it is an inflation of the
meaning of the word silver.
Old January 16th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bartje m

Hey Bartje. "Tibetan Silver" has long been known to be pot metal
silver. Not .935 pure (like sterling) or .99 pure (like Thai
Silver). Basically, it looks silver and has some silver content, but
is not.

Becki

Thanks, I guessed as much. But is it legal? The use of the word silver
implies something, doesn't it? I would guess it would mean silver from
Tibet. It seems degrading to the meaning of the word silver.

By the way, sterling is .925, isn't it?

Bartje
Old January 16th 08, 09:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Jan 15, 9:19 pm, bartje m wrote:
Hey Bartje. "Tibetan Silver" has long been known to be pot metal
silver. Not .935 pure (like sterling) or .99 pure (like Thai
Silver). Basically, it looks silver and has some silver content, but
is not.

It may not have any silver content if I believe the Ebay 'advisory'
from Tierracast, and I have no reason to doubt it. It's silver
colored,
which is the phrase I tend to use for base metal of that color.

Thanks, I guessed as much. But is it legal? The use of the word silver
implies something, doesn't it? I would guess it would mean silver from
Tibet. It seems degrading to the meaning of the word silver.

Agree, but different countries have different laws.
I'd call it Tibetan 'silver'.

By the way, sterling is .925, isn't it?

I thought so too, but that 1% doesn't make a whole lot of difference,
it's almost all silver.

Maren
HiloBeads
http://www.hilobeads.com/
Blog at: http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/
Old January 16th 08, 10:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bartje m

By the way, sterling is .925, isn't it?

I thought so too, but that 1% doesn't make a whole lot of difference,
it's almost all silver.

just nitpicking
Old January 16th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

In message , bartje m
writes

By the way, sterling is .925, isn't it?

I thought so too, but that 1% doesn't make a whole lot of
difference,
it's almost all silver.

just nitpicking

Sterling silver is 925 or 92.5% pure.
Britannia Silver is 950 or 95% pure

PMC is reputed to be 99.99% pure.
Hugs
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old January 16th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

yep .935 was a typo!!! (and I type for a living)

No idea if it is legal or not -- just "buyer beware" in terms of
educating ourselves.

Just like old beads are often sold as vintage or antique, and in the
furniture world, there are very specific limits for the use of those
words to describe antiques. Yet we often see layman selling things at
yard and sales and on the internet where the words are used
indiscriminately. It is a matter of educating yourself and watching
out for whether it is a true statement or not.

Some of the gems sold on ebay (especially in finished jewelry) are lab-
created but not marked as such, especially from countries where
English is not the primarly language, but they posted the auction in
english. Sometimes descriptions are so funny, LOL. I used to repost
the really good ones.

So, with Tibetan Silver -- buyer beware. Doesn't matter if it is
legal or not -- it is still going to be described incorrectly
sometimes. LOL

Becki

Old March 26th 08, 08:25 AM
angelic_realm1966 angelic_realm1966 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckibead View Post
[...]

Hi,I was curious about the same thing and did a little research and found a very informative advisory on E-Bay. I think mabee you should take a look at it. Take care and God Bless
http://reviews.ebay.com/Tibetan-Silv...00000003804484
angelic_realm1966