FINNALY KNitting is back in BIG

Old November 23rd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default FINNALY KNitting is back in BIG

Madelaine,

TV isn't a problem for me, or in a car or in public. But anytime one
of my kids come near me while I'm knitting, it all goes wrong. Sigh.
Oh well, they're only young once, right?

Hesira

Madelaine wrote:
Every time I knit while watch "Criminal Minds" I make huge
mistakes--dropped stiches, etc. Now I don't know during Criminal
Minds--even the easiest thing will get mistakes in it!
Madelaine

Old November 23rd 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Georgia i traveled By train , in my country. In June i flew and wasn`t
allowed to take my knitting on board , thus put it in my luggage ,
mirjam

Hey, I'm travelling tfor the holidays, and bringing 2 gloves and a hat to
work on in airports and on planes. (You can take knitting needles on planes
now.)

Georgia

Old November 23rd 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dennis for years , womaen knitted here everywhere, and esp in public
knittings in the Kibboets, or even in the university in lectures ,
than Suddenly it disappeared , and since i went on knitting i got
sated at and REMARKED at ,,,,, from nice to stupid remarks ,, now it
is coming back , and nobody says much anymore , thus iwas so glad ,,,
mirjam [ps i don`t know many local men who knit],,

"Spike Driver" wrote in message
Rita,

If I was not a man I don't believe I would get such stares. It does not
bother me. If I have something small to finish I take it with me. Before
became ill and quit driving I would sit and knit once in a while.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Ah - now I understand. Well historically you have a of company. Centuries
ago after knitting was introduced into Europe, men were the knitters and
their wives, the spinners. Examples of their work that exist are quite
beautiful Happy knitting!

Rita

Old November 23rd 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dab this is wonderful ,,,
mindless knitting ???? hahahahha don`t such thing ,,
mirjam

I get headaches if I read in the car so hope I will be able to knit.

Take Care and Bee WellG

Donna

Old November 23rd 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
the Furrsome Threesome

Hee hee! Since I've gotten into this sock thing, I've been trying to
figure out if I can quilt up (my other hobby) some sort of belt pouch
knitting project case that I can walk around with. It would make
those 45 minute hikes to and from work (on the days when I HAVE the 45
minutes for the lovely walk) so much more productive.

Johanna, knitting at my tech support desk as all our American customers
are in a Turkey Coma today....

R. Bledsoe wrote:
"Spike Driver" wrote in message

I knit and crochet at the doctors office often.

The men really give me some crazy looks, it does on bother me. Once and a
while I will wink and smile at them, Gail gets mad when I do that but the
men look the other way

I wasn't aware that knitting or crocheting in public was problematic these
days. When I was a kid - a l-o-o-ong time ago - it was so common. I can even
remember seeing a woman tatting as she walked down the street. A real feat.
However I recall knitting while waiting in a dentist's office recently and
two little girls watched me with fascination as if they had never seen the
process before. I believe they never had. Of course handiwork was once more
of a necessity than a hobby as it is these days.

Rita

Old November 23rd 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
the Furrsome Threesome

I work with one of those sports-jock-nerd types who was having the
hardest time getting dates for a while (he's now engaged to a
sports-jock-nerd girl). He used to refer to having to overhear my
textiles discussions as something that was somehow "demasculating "
(sic- his word) to him.

I pointed out once that if he wanted to hook up with more girls,
knitting or quilting might be good activities to look into. It didn't
go anywhere with him, but it's fun to watch them be all threatened and
indignant when you make those suggestions.

Good for you, Dennis. One of the best knitters I know IRL is my
spousal unit's good friend, a wonderful man who went absolutely to town
on this gorgeous lacey outfit for his baby daughter. He's the first
person I thought of for advice when I decided to re-start my
stick-and-string habit - not just a guy who picked up knitting, but
some of the most skilled I've seen in a while.

Johanna

Georgia wrote:
Here, for men, knitting is supposed to be a chick magnet...

Georgia

Old November 23rd 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

DAB !
I like CSI , never saw Amzing Race ,,
I like to knit by TV .
mirjam

wrote:
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

I like to watch the CSI shows and Amazing Race. I have never been one to
just sit and watch TV....so usually knit. I have the DVD How to Knit Socks
on 2 circular needles and watched it the other day.....I thought I can do
thatG so hope after the first of the year I can start my first pair of
socks for me.

Old November 23rd 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
R. Bledsoe

"the Furrsome Threesome" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hee hee! Since I've gotten into this sock thing, I've been trying to
figure out if I can quilt up (my other hobby) some sort of belt pouch
knitting project case that I can walk around with. It would make
those 45 minute hikes to and from work (on the days when I HAVE the 45
minutes for the lovely walk) so much more productive.

In a chapter on the history of knitting in a needlecrafts book that I have,
there is a picture of an itinerant knitter (male, centuries ago) in which he
has some contraption strapped to his hips. The wool is apparently encased in
two bags on each side of his body and he is shown knitting with the two
strands of wool and walking. Maybe you can devise something like that. Your
idea has historical basis.

Rita

Old November 26th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Madelaine wrote:
DAB wrote:
Alison wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:45:24 GMT, "DAB" wrote:

LOL I saw that term used in a knitting magazine, not sure which one
and it's the kind of knitting you don't have to pay much attention
to.

Donna

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Dab this is wonderful ,,,
mindless knitting ???? hahahahha don`t such thing ,,
mirjam
I get headaches if I read in the car so hope I will be able to
knit.

Take Care and Bee WellG

Donna

I've also heard this called TV knitting because it doesn't take much
concentration. Socks are like this for me..

Alison

I like to watch the CSI shows and Amazing Race. I have never been
one to just sit and watch TV....so usually knit. I have the DVD How
to Knit Socks on 2 circular needles and watched it the other
day.....I thought I can do thatG so hope after the first of the
year I can start my first pair of socks for me.

Every time I knit while watch "Criminal Minds" I make huge
mistakes--dropped stiches, etc. Now I don't know during Criminal
Minds--even the easiest thing will get mistakes in it!
Madelaine

LOL I like that show tooG.....most of my knitting for christmas is hats in
the round with multi color yarns like Noro so just knit knit and knit until
I switch to dps then I have to pay more attention.

Knitting speed ?? Yarn 40 August 22nd 06 09:50 PM
The ongoing story of knitting sheaths for Aaron and Noreen Els van Dam Yarn 15 April 25th 06 06:45 PM
My Book Report for Cactus Needles Knitting Guild!!! Slick Hippy chick Yarn 2 November 21st 03 09:23 PM
Knitting back? SlinkyToy Yarn 8 September 7th 03 10:02 PM