Another sock newbie, and intro...

Old November 15th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
the Furrsome Threesome

Default Another sock newbie, and intro...

Hello, all... this is a de-lurk

I am a long-lapsed knitter, having given up the craft when I realized I
really couldn't figure out tension and regardless, I didn't need more
sweaters or scarves. Having turned to the Dark Side (quilting) in more
recent years, I recently re-discovered knitting via the book No-Pattern
Knits (how cool! Piecework with knit squares! No tension issues! THAT
I can relate to!). A few booties later, a new determination gripped
me: I Will Knit Socks.

So having now scoured this newsgroup for recent sock threads, I've got
a few new things to watch for. I actually finished my first sock, from
a Patton's pattern for the self-patterning yarn, with less grief than
many seem to experience. I started it about 10 times, repeatedly
ripping out the first 3 rows of ribbing when getting too twisted to
recover from, and I had to take two runs at the heel after the first
left me with an odd stitch hanging off one side. A few extra stitches
appeared in the leg, and with a shrug, I decreased them back out. The
end result isn't bad. It's a self-patterning sock and actually fits my
foot if a *tad* loosely. It'll be nice in a boot.

It only took me 5 tries to get the 2nd of the pair started. I'm two
stripes in down the leg.

Here's a question - not an urgent one, but I'm pondering: Why is my
ribbing so much looser than the rest?

My ersatz mom-in-law (mother of he who is referred to as the Spousal
Euphemism, for lack of paperwork), an experienced sock knitter,
cautioned me that my ribbing would be too TIGHT when she saw how I was
starting. My pattern calls for 16 rows k2 p2 ribbing. MIL usually
uses k1p1 as she thinks it ends up tighter, but suggested I stick with
k2p2 and I *might* have a sock loose enough to try on. She really
thought I was working that much tighter than she was.

What I wound up with, despite the fact that I seem to pull my yarn
fairly tight, is almost a scalloped, lacey edge, my ribbing is soo much
looser than the rest! It just flops down and out. It's kinda cute,
but it sure won't hold the sock up on its own.

Does this inconsistency sound familiar to anyone? It's not a big
problem but I wouldn't mind having a few tech tips to work on for the
next pair, especially since when I start one for the Spousal Euphemism
he probably won't want the lacey, scalloped top.

Thanks! Looking forward to learning more on this group.

Johanna

Old November 15th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

Many people purl with a looser tension than they knit with (not on purpose
of course--it just works out that way. If you are knitting circularly (i.e.,
on dpns) this will show up as ribbing being looser than stockinette. If this
is a serious problem, I suppose you could do the ribbing on needles one size
smaller.

Georgia
http://georgiamorgan.net/html/knitting.htm
"the Furrsome Threesome" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, all... this is a de-lurk

snip

Old November 15th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

I made my last pair of socks for my DH on size 1s instead of the size
2s called for in the pattern and we were both happier. I was surprised
that the foot part still fit him but they were plenty stretchy and
still fit ok while the ribbing was much nicer. You could always just
go down a size for the ribbing if the foot part fits fine but the
ribbing is too loose. He has now decided he really likes homemade
socks. They go pretty fast and are portable so it could be a lot
worse. I also have a request for another vest for him as he finds the
one I made him very handy to pack on trips to provide an extra layer.
Judy

Old November 16th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Georgia wrote:
"the Furrsome Threesome" wrote

snip
Why is my ribbing so much looser than the rest?

snip
What I wound up with, despite the fact that I seem to pull my yarn
fairly tight, is almost a scalloped, lacey edge, my ribbing is soo much
looser than the rest! It just flops down and out. It's kinda cute,
but it sure won't hold the sock up on its own.

snip

Many people purl with a looser tension than they knit with (not on purpose
of course--it just works out that way. If you are knitting circularly (i.e.,
on dpns) this will show up as ribbing being looser than stockinette. If this
is a serious problem, I suppose you could do the ribbing on needles one size
smaller.

Purl stitches have a slightly longer distance for the yarn to go, so they
tend to be looser. Ribbing tends to be looser anyway. And any sweater or
hat pattern I ever found always said to work the ribbing on smaller needles.
I don't know why sock patterns don't say that; maybe they assume that the
ten-percent-smaller adjustment for the stretchiness takes care of any
differences.

I agree with the others - since the sock was loose anyway, use smaller
needles.

=Tamar
Old November 16th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Hi Johanna,

I think everyone has answered your question, but I just wanted to
welcome you to the group and say hello. I've been knitting socks like
crazy for the past few months and I've really learned a lot. I made my
first pair last spring using worsted Paton's Classic Merino. I quickly
learned that using sock yarn and smaller needles was a better approach.
Most of the patterns I have used have a k1p1 ribbing on the top, and 1
pair has fewer stitches on the ribbing, then when you start the leg,
you increase. (start with 64 stitches for the ribbing, and increase
evenly to 72 for the leg). They fit DH really well.

Hesira

Old November 16th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
the Furrsome Threesome

Cool, thanks!

I was pondering decreasing the stitches, but I want to make sure I
think it through so I get all the other bits right still. I've put out
the word that "sock balls" would be a great stocking stuffer this year,
so hopefully Santa Claus will bring me some more practice materials
before I tackle something fancy from the "Socks, Socks, Socks" book I
got.

BTW, I snapped a quick pic (just with the cel phone, so it's not great)
and put it on my Blog. Since I keep the Blog "unlisted" - hope folks
can decipher it as this:

artsandcats dot blogspot dot com

It's currently the top entry. I'm down to starting the heel on the
mate. Thanks for all the notes, everyone!

Johanna

Old November 16th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

the Furrsome Threesome wrote:
Hello, all... this is a de-lurk

snip

Welcome, Johanna. About your socks - what size needles did you use? I
have never had a problem with too loosed knitting. How did you cast on?

Higs,
Katherine

Old November 16th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

the Furrsome Threesome wrote:
Cool, thanks!

I was pondering decreasing the stitches, but I want to make sure I
think it through so I get all the other bits right still. I've put out
the word that "sock balls" would be a great stocking stuffer this year,
so hopefully Santa Claus will bring me some more practice materials
before I tackle something fancy from the "Socks, Socks, Socks" book I
got.

BTW, I snapped a quick pic (just with the cel phone, so it's not great)
and put it on my Blog. Since I keep the Blog "unlisted" - hope folks
can decipher it as this:

artsandcats dot blogspot dot com

It's currently the top entry. I'm down to starting the heel on the
mate. Thanks for all the notes, everyone!

Oh, yes, I see what you mean about the ribbing. How unusual! Let us
know how the mate comes out.

Higs,
Katherine

Old November 17th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
the Furrsome Threesome

I did a knit cast on with a slightly larger needle - 3.5mm - and then
switched to 2.75 mm dpns for the first row of ribbing. The needles,
sock ball, and Patton's basic pattern were a little "kit" that my local
Quilt shop (which now has the by-line "for Knitters too!") had put
together.

Sock #2's ribbing is actually a little more normal looking, though
still looser than it seems it should be.

I have another, possibly related question. When I do a scarf or a
swatch, and I'm finding the same on my heel flaps, the edges of my
knitting are kinda inconsistent. One stitch tight, the next loopy.
Probably a result of this same thing - I must purl with much more slack
than I knit. Or maybe one stitch vs. the other is just harder to keep
the tension right on, at the end. Is THIS common, or are there any
tips for making a nice, even selvedge on blocks of knitting?

No-Pattern Knits, if you know the book, emphasises how important it is
to not have "loopy" or inconsistent edges but utterly fails to provide
troubleshooting tips for those of us who end up with them.

Thanks!

Johanna

Old November 17th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

Directions say to cast on with larger needles because folks tend to cast on
with tighter tension than they knit with, and the result of this would be
that the edge of the ribbing won't stretch enough. The picture of your sock
that you posted reminded me of the neckline of my first crew-neck sweater. I
learned to do the ribbing with needles TWO sizes smaller than the
stockinette.

And yes, the first stitch on the needle tends to get knit looser than the
rest. (That's why when I am knitting sock ribbing, I make sure that the
first stitch on each needle is a knit stitch, since the purl stitches are
already looser). This would account for every other edge stitch being loose,
because every other stitch is a "first stitch"--the others are "last
stitches".

Once you are aware of this as a tension problem, you may be able to solve it
by adjusting your tension on the problem stitches.

Good luck!

Georgia

ups.com...

Intro. from a Newbie Joy Yarn 37 April 1st 06 02:31 AM
newbie intro Amanda Tikkanen Yarn 29 January 3rd 05 12:21 AM
Intro and newbie question *~Candygrrl~* Beads 26 September 21st 04 06:04 PM
newbie intro Farleyaw Doll Houses 2 January 12th 04 01:16 AM
Newbie Intro angela Beads 28 July 31st 03 05:59 PM