OT Busy, weather, etc

Old June 13th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Default OT Busy, weather, etc

It's been busy.

I haven't been able to burn as much, since the weather got warmer, drier and
windier, but I'm still trying to get at it, though I now mostly have to use
a burn barrel. I have a dark, heavy, stinky (smoke and bug dope), but
protective set of clothes on the porch to wear for this. I got a cinder
down my shirt last week, which made me think of my lampworking friends.
Unfortunately, this work doesn't result in beads, or time to work on beads
or sales of my work, or even a clean house! But I'm so glad to be getting
this done.

We had record cold weather last week, a 29F hard frost Sat night (Sun AM)
was a 113 year record. And last Sun (4th) after the frost, we had snow
flurries all day. But it's hot again now -- 75, 80 -- and there are fires
raging again. More reason to be glad the deadwood is burned here. Today we
have some wind here, so the smoke from the fires 30 and 50 miles away is
cleared out.

I've had company too. The lady I stay with in Mexico is home to get some
medical work done, and has been staying at our place. But she has been sent
to Portland for Workers' Comp medical exams. (That should be Employers'
Liability Insurance, since it protects the employers rather than the
workers). And the kids with the baby have gone off fishing. And it's too
windy to burn. So it's been quiet.

Quiet, since I'm not doing the laundromat today. Quiet, because we won't go
dip netting for out 40 salmon on the Copper River for a few more days.

Quiet, except for the news about the engine. We have finished our Small
Business Innovation Research that we got a Phase I grant for. And we are
now in final negotiation for Phase II. The first phase studies the problems
and describes the solution (grant $70K). Phase II produces the prototype
and sets it up for production (grant up to $800K). Phase III would be a
gov't contract to produce the items.

Phase I shows we can work with the big boys and gives us credibility. Phase
II says they want to work with us, and will really bring the engine out of
the closet. This has been so long in coming, I had almost given up. This
is the Big Time now. Wow.

Tina

Old June 18th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:08:13 -0800, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

Quiet, except for the news about the engine. We have finished our Small
Business Innovation Research that we got a Phase I grant for. And we are
now in final negotiation for Phase II. The first phase studies the problems
and describes the solution (grant $70K). Phase II produces the prototype
and sets it up for production (grant up to $800K). Phase III would be a
gov't contract to produce the items.

Phase I shows we can work with the big boys and gives us credibility. Phase
II says they want to work with us, and will really bring the engine out of
the closet. This has been so long in coming, I had almost given up. This
is the Big Time now. Wow.

Congratulations! That's wonderful to hear. SBIRs are so fun to work
on as a COTR; I really enjoyed everything but the initial candidate
evaluations, which were insanely tedious.

I shepherded a number of SBIRs through Phases I and II, but nothing
ever got to Phase III. Our SBIRs tended to be more directed toward
research and less toward production, though, being things like
research into pilot-vehicle interfaces, flying qualities, simulation,
etc. Still, the potential was there, particularly in the displays
areas.

Mary
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Old June 21st 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Hi Mary,

I think it's funny that the two people in two very different newsgroups who
have an idea of what I'm doing are both women. Less surprising to find a
woman with understanding here because there are mostly women here, but the
other group is very predominantly men.

Almost 10 years ago, when I first got involved with this engine, we applied
for an SBIR grant for general aviation needs with NASA. Failed miserably,
because though we followed directions, we just didn't have the knowledge to
do this sort of grant writing stuff. This time, the marketing part of our
group applied for a DoD grant for 'Low Fuel-Consumption, High-Altitude
Capable, Heavy-Fuel Internal Combustion (IC) Engine Concepts for Unmanned
Air Vehicles (UAV)' .

At the time of the first application, I had wanted to connect with a friend
of my mother's, Max Faget, who was with NASA since its inception until 1986
(I think) and who was in charge of Manned Space Flight, had the patent on
the Mercury capsule, along with a 3 page single spaced list of other
patents. Anyway, Mom refused to let me "bother" him. And he died last
year.

What is a COTR?

The engine really is very exciting. It's a two stroke engine with a zero
scavenging rate, which has a variable compression chamber (thus maintaining
optimum compression ratio), it super charges, and turbo charges, the fuel is
super aerated. And it has only 3 moving parts and weighs less than 50 lbs.

"We also hired a consultant to do a first-order calculation of the engine
cycle to determine an approximation of performance. The results, although
very rough, were very promising, especially as regards horsepower. They
showed that our engine, with two compression events and two expansion
events, could produce approx. 350 HP. This from a 600cc engine."

This engine is designed for petroleum products, though it could be adjusted
to use other fuels.

Walter's efforts have been toward eliminating current design flaws and then
making some adjustments to refine the engine function. The opposite of the
tendency to try to add things to improve an engine.

You say SBIRs are fun to work with, and I can well imagine. New ideas carry
such wonderful excitement and imagining of ever better solutions. Though I
am not a scientist and am rather mediocre with hard facts, I just love
science and especially physics.

Tina

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Quilt Blocks That Works With Busy Fabric Georg Quilting 19 January 23rd 06 09:17 PM
OT - Odd Weather MRH Yarn 14 July 27th 05 07:56 PM
Busy, busy, busy David & Barbara Schmidt Quilting 8 November 12th 04 06:29 PM
busy, busy busy... julia sidebottom Quilting 0 December 30th 03 10:46 AM