Knitting back?

Old September 7th 03, 01:22 AM
SlinkyToy

Default Knitting back?

I mastered purling back (ie, purling off the left needle and onto the
right) when I was working on the garter shawl (for which I still need
to spin!). Now I'm making these damned hairy mohair scarves as
Christmas pressies. The current one is 15 sts on #13 needles and the
turning has grown tedious. I've attempted knitting back, but I end up
with an extra YO between the selvedge and the second stitch.

Anybody?
Old September 7th 03, 01:37 AM
SlinkyToy

Well, nevermind. I'm not sure exactly what I was doing wrong, but I'm
doing it correctly now. Takes a bit of getting used to, and my
tension needs work, but I'm not turning the darned scarf every 15 sts!
Old September 7th 03, 01:37 AM
Katherine Burgess

Sorry, Slinky, but I don't understand the question.
Katherine (feeling really stupid!)

Old September 7th 03, 11:07 AM
Aud

May be more than coffee, Slikey :-))
I see it can be rather practic! But in that case I should be right handed
AND left handed, I think!
BUT I'll try it just now (have just drinked two large cups of strong
coffee), because I try a patter which would be MUCH easier if THAT works
out! LOL!
I'll tell you later!(perhaps I can tell you in advance????)
AUD :-))

--

"SlinkyToy" skrev i melding
Well, have you ever "purled back", maybe when you're working on a

So, to KNIT back, I finally figured out that I had to bring the yarn
to the "back", which is the side facing me. Once I got past that I
was off and running.

Try both purling back (knitting, when done from the public side) and
knitting back (purling, when done from the public side). Use biggish
yarn and needles so you can see what you're doing. Have a coffee
first

It works, really.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 21:37:40 -0300, "Katherine Burgess"
wrote:

Sorry, Slinky, but I don't understand the question.
Katherine (feeling really stupid!)

.. .

Old September 7th 03, 02:59 PM
Katherine Burgess

Ah, now I see! Actually, someone from RCTY (about 10 years ago!) taught me
how to do that. I just don't do it much any more. Maybe I should try it
again.
Thanks.
Katherine

wrote:

Sorry, Slinky, but I don't understand the question.
Katherine (feeling really stupid!)

.. .

Old September 7th 03, 03:40 PM
SlinkyToy

Yeah, it comes in handy. Once I figured out I was trying to knit with
the yarn on the wrong side I had it licked. I got more rows done on
htat damned mohair scarf last night than I had in three nights prior.
Not having to turn the thing at the end of EVERY 15-st row really
saved time. And after I had the knitting back figured out I could do
it without looking, too.

This purling back and knitting back isn't as easy to explain as it is
to do!

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 10:59:33 -0300, "Katherine Burgess"
wrote:

Ah, now I see! Actually, someone from RCTY (about 10 years ago!) taught me
how to do that. I just don't do it much any more. Maybe I should try it
again.
Thanks.
Katherine

.. .

wrote:

Sorry, Slinky, but I don't understand the question.
Katherine (feeling really stupid!)

.. .

Old September 7th 03, 04:24 PM
Aud

It was not easy do do either!
AUD drinking coffee,
but knitting as usual.... :-(

--

"SlinkyToy" skrev i melding

wrote:

Ah, now I see! Actually, someone from RCTY (about 10 years ago!) taught

me
how to do that. I just don't do it much any more. Maybe I should try it
again.
Thanks.
Katherine

.. .

wrote:

Sorry, Slinky, but I don't understand the question.
Katherine (feeling really stupid!)

.. .

Old September 7th 03, 05:52 PM
Katherine Burgess

"SlinkyToy" wrote ...
Yeah, it comes in handy. Once I figured out I was trying to knit with
the yarn on the wrong side I had it licked. I got more rows done on
htat damned mohair scarf last night than I had in three nights prior.
Not having to turn the thing at the end of EVERY 15-st row really
saved time. And after I had the knitting back figured out I could do
it without looking, too.

This purling back and knitting back isn't as easy to explain as it is
to do!

LOL This is true!
Katherine

Old September 7th 03, 10:02 PM
Mary

Whenever I have something long and skinny to knit, such as a scarf, I
try to do it the other direction! I get out my longest circular
needles and use them as extra-long straight needles, putting rubber
bands or some sort of stopper on one end of each. Then I have hugely
long rows, but not very many of them. Works great!