OT -- jewelry store lies

Old September 24th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Default OT -- jewelry store lies

Do you folks have trouble with jewelry store personnel flat-out lying
to you about when things will be ready? This is the THIRD time a
jewelry store in Springfield, Illinois has done it to my family! The
first time, I took a modest collection of jewelry from my mother's
estate to be appraised for insurance purposes, and they took a quick
look and promised it in one month. It took two and a half months.
The second time, my sister and her fiance were special-ordering
platinum wedding rings, and were promised that they would arrive in a
week or two at most. Seven weeks later they had not arrived, and
after the clerk said we misunderstood his assistant nipped around the
corner and told us the order hadn't been placed. Today, I went to
pick up a ring that was to be sized in one week, and over two weeks
later it is STILL NOT READY! I even called them and was assured it
would be ready today at the latest. I have never dealt with
businesses who lie more consistently than jewelers, and am simply
furious! All three incidents have been with "premium" jewelry stores
here in town.

Old September 24th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack[_2_]

I would look for another place to do business, possibly a locally owned
store. I'm assuming that the places you've dealt with were franchise stores.
I could be wrong, but it just sounded that way to me. Locally owned
businesses seem to take more pride in their business and therefore their
work in my experience. And oddly enough, the best jewelry-type service I've
ever gotten was from a seller on eBay. DH and I bought our wedding bands
from a seller on eBay (titanium and white gold) and I ordered them a bit too
small. I emailed him and asked if they could be sized locally or if he would
have to do it. He replied that he would most likely have to do it himself,
but all I had to do was send them back to him and enclose the return
postage, no other charge. Got them back in less than a week. There are still
some people who take pride in what they do and their business reputation.
--
Debi

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

ps.com...

Old September 24th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I live in a very small town. You can't stay in business around here if you
don't take very good care of your customers- word gets around quickly. I
know absolutely nothing about tires, but our local tire store has been in
business for almost 40 years. I go in and tell them what kind of driving I
do and what I can afford and I get the best tires for my money. I trust
them.

That said- skip the big franchise stores who are in it for the money-
period. (Think about the Joann thread we had a few days ago- no customer
service and an I-don't-care attitude.) Go to someone local in a small store
who needs the business and treasures their reputation. IMNSHO

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

ps.com...

Old September 24th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 24, 3:08 pm, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
I live in a very small town. You can't stay in business around here if you
don't take very good care of your customers- word gets around quickly. I
know absolutely nothing about tires, but our local tire store has been in
business for almost 40 years. I go in and tell them what kind of driving I
do and what I can afford and I get the best tires for my money. I trust
them.

That said- skip the big franchise stores who are in it for the money-
period. (Think about the Joann thread we had a few days ago- no customer
service and an I-don't-care attitude.) Go to someone local in a small store
who needs the business and treasures their reputation. IMNSHO

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Jewelry is what is known as a blind purchase for most people. Very few
people can tell if a jeweled item is of a particular category or
clarity range. You have to trust the person you are dealing with to
give you a straight answer to your questions about jewelry. If you
don't have a good experience with the people you are dealing with,
then by all means, go someplace else. A small independent store would
be more likely to give you a fair service, as they rely on repeat
business, rather than a mall store who relies on volume one time
sales.

John

ps.com...

Old September 24th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Two of the stores are locally-owned and run by the families who own
them. So far as I know they don't cheat on content and quality of the
items they sell. However, all three stores need to use clocks and
calendars and QUIT THE DAMNED LYING!

I have never been treated so shabbily by car repair shops, plumbers,
roofers, even cable TV -- anybody, in fact! 2:00 on Tuesday scheduled
by the plumber means 2:00 on Tuesday, and if they're running so much
as 10 minutes late they call!

Old September 24th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Since we got robbed 20 years ago I don't own much jewelry. Why buy
for criminals. The few pieces I have are in a bank box. It is just
easier to live without baubles. Sounds like staying away from jewelers
a good idea!
TAria

Old September 25th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

My XH used to buy my jewelry at the "chain franchise" stores. I was
strapped for cash a few yrs ago, and took some of it to a local mom/
pop JS. they were really nice, but i think they were secretly laughing
at my XH, he paid WAY too much $$ for the crap i had. one bracelet was
purchased for over $2,000, and i only got $175 for it. This was not a
pawn shop either, it was a JS. i walked out with about $700 in total,
but the XH paid alot more than that....good thing i didnt pay for it!
i'd've been really upset!
amy