Does Embossing Powder Get Old?

Old February 24th 04, 08:31 PM
Sally Minnesota

Default Does Embossing Powder Get Old?

I have some embossing powder I bought years and years
ago that doesn't seem to stick anymore. Do you experts
out there have any thoughts about this? Thanks!

--
Snow removal required before sending email.
Old February 24th 04, 09:28 PM
Pat Kight

Sally Minnesota wrote:
I have some embossing powder I bought years and years
ago that doesn't seem to stick anymore. Do you experts
out there have any thoughts about this? Thanks!

Embossing powder is just ground up thermoplastic (plastic which melts at
a relatively low temperature) with pigments added. I don't think it goes
"bad," exactly but I've found that opened jars can pick up some moisture
over time with the result you note.

You know those little packets of silaca gel dessicant that come packaged
with cameras and electronics and stuff? I save those and tuck them
inside my large, rarely used jars of EP to dehumidify them, and it seems
to work.

--
Pat Kight

Old February 24th 04, 09:33 PM
Karen Walker

Yes, embossing powder can get old. Usually, it's due to humidity, etc.
Sometimes, tho, it's not the embossing powder itself that's the problem --
it can be your embossing ink, stamp pad, etc., or even the items that you're
trying to emboss. I've had problems with some of my older powders not
sticking to cardstock, and about half the time it's because the cardstock
was exposed to the wrong temperatures, etc.

Hope this helps.
Karen

Old February 25th 04, 12:35 AM
Risible

Sally Minnesota wrote:

I have some embossing powder I bought years and years
ago that doesn't seem to stick anymore. Do you experts
out there have any thoughts about this? Thanks!

I'm not an expert, but I think that I'll reply anyway. :0 How many years have
you had that embossing powder? Just last week I made several ATCs (artist
trading cards) with some *15 year old* silver powder by Embossing Arts. I
think that may be considered "old", but it worked beautifully with no problems.

Having said that, apparently some powders do go bad over time. I have heard
more than a few people claim that this happened to them. I suspect that the
powder had either been stored improperly (leaving the jars uncapped in humid
surroundings), or used with the wrong materials to emboss with.

I'm wondering about two other possible reasons: a) the colorant used (I've
heard complaints about black most often), and b) inclusions (things like
glitter added to the powder - I've even heard of adding plain unsweetened
Kool-Aid for "scratch & sniff" embossing powder).

Sincerely,
Risible