Has anyone here

Old August 13th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Has anyone here

I don't think it's *ever* a good idea to totally trust a web-based
service for storage of personal data, and that goes threefold if it is a
free service. The people I respect most say that you should always keep
three backups copies of your data in separate places if you want to be
guaranteed that you will always have a backup copy.

Shillelagh wrote:

albums, since Yahoo is closing down on October 18th. I'm just
glad I only used Yahoo so others could see my pics, and not as
a true storage facility.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old August 13th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

I'm not familiar with patternreview. I just glanced at it, and it
doesn't LOOK like Ravelry. Both sites probably share certain
characteristics, but since I'm not on Ravelry yet, I'm not able to
speak from experience.

I will certainly stay here regardless. I've made too many friends and
gained too much from this group to abandon it.

Hesira

On Aug 13, 5:10 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:

So you're saying it's sort of going to be the knitting equivalent of
patternreview.com?

I still have problems navigating web sites and have been on a few
boards
that got hacked into and seen other boards that are "aggressively
moderated," and I just prefer to stay here. But that's not saying
that
nobody else should check it out. I'm just a cyber-Luddite.

Old August 13th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

hesira wrote:
I'm not familiar with patternreview. I just glanced at it, and it
doesn't LOOK like Ravelry. Both sites probably share certain
characteristics, but since I'm not on Ravelry yet, I'm not able to
speak from experience.

It's a site that reviews sewing patterns. If you have made a pattern,
you can post pix and a review of the pattern, and if you are thinking
about making a pattern, you can read about what other people thought
about it.

Old August 13th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

DA wrote:
Oh didn't know...thanks will check em outG

Thanks!
Donna

You are very welcome. I too prefer USENET since as security measure,
I don't run active x or java from websites. This prevents a lot of
sites from loading properly.
DA

Yes good point....I still have a dial-up so if the page doesn't load in 30
seconds I get bored and move on.....movable type sites are the worst and not
sure why they take so long to load.

Donna

Old August 14th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
I see. So they are trying to make a living by running that site. I
guess that explains it.

It's not sniffy -- it seems to me that advertising it here is almost as
crazy as going to the middle of Sears, Roebuck and suggesting that
people check out J. C. Penney.

I'm NOT advertising it - I was trying to DISCUSS it with people who
are interested, particularly people who are already "members", and who
know a lot more about it than I do, and certainly more than you do.

I have no idea if they're "making a living". I'm only going by
what I've read on their blog where they say they quit their day jobs.
Hesira and BB explained it far better than I could

You obviously aren't interested. No one is suggesting you sign up for
Ravelry or leave here.

Shelagh

Old August 14th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Shillelagh wrote:

It's going to be a community of crafters all around the world...

Which is exactly what the rec.crafts.texiles hierarchy of newsgroups is
as well.

And your point is?

Old August 14th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

Donna, could you please give me the name of the Baby Surprise Jacket group?
Thanks.

--
Jan in MN

"DAB" wrote...
Well I agree with you but have found over the last 9 years that most
people are afraid of the public newsgroups and therefore started with web
based message boards/blogs. I am a member of a Baby Surprise Jacket group
at yahoo but that is all the time I have. I prefer the public groups and
the only drawback here is it's not a combo bin/text group...that would be
perfect IMO we could post pictures of our stuff and also make comments all
in the same placeG Also the public groups are faster then web based and
I hate all the fluff....ads and moving graphics. I have a knitting blog
but only for my projects...I never intend it to be a message board.

Oh for those interested I did a search and found the founders blog which
has a bunch of interesting stuff about what the deal is:

http://www.frecklegirl.com/blog/category/ravelry/

Donna

Old August 14th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Sure, send me an email at jffcdab[at]verizon [dot]net
and I will send you the links to apply for membership.....the main deal is
you need an established yahoo mail account.

Donna

Old August 14th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Aug 14, 10:25 am, hesira wrote:
I will certainly stay here regardless. I've made too many friends and
gained too much from this group to abandon it.

Absolutely, I don't see Ravelry as competition for established
communities. Obviously none of us yet have access to be able to give a
full account of the service but I certainly view it as an *additional*
resource, not a one-stop-shop for my online knitting needs.

I've signed up because I'm keen to see it and judge it for myself - it
may or may not suit me. I've heard plenty of positive things about it
though so I'm approaching it in a positive frame of mind.

VP

Old August 14th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

On Aug 14, 10:25 am, hesira wrote:

I will certainly stay here regardless. I've made too many friends and
gained too much from this group to abandon it.

Absolutely, I don't see Ravelry as competition for established
communities. Obviously none of us yet have access to be able to give a
full account of the service but I certainly view it as an *additional*
resource, not a one-stop-shop for my online knitting needs.

I've signed up because I'm keen to see it and judge it for myself - it
may or may not suit me. I've heard plenty of positive things about it
though so I'm approaching it in a positive frame of mind.

VP

Ok, now I'm curious. Do my posts not show up in some places? I have
wondered at times if that's the case, or if there are other reasons I
get little response to my posts. I've practically stopped posting
because of it.

VP, this is not directed at you specifically, but your post said nobody
has access to Ravelry after I posted today that I have joined, so I
thought it was a good time to see if I could find out.

BB