Singer 185K Freeycycle Machine

Old May 20th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default Singer 185K Freeycycle Machine

I think the analysis of the machine I picked up is "RIP."

The lady told me it sewed fine, but there was a problem with the
tension. After getting it
home, the "problem with the tension" is....it is gone. Apparently she
dismantled it, and from
what I can tell from the diagram I found, there are about 4 pieces
missing.

It's a shame, because it is a cute little machine although far from
pristine condition. Says it
is made in Great Britain on the machine. It's
grimy and has a few paint nicks. I think it's beyond my capability or
desire
to fix it. Guess I'll try to find it a new home. Surely someone will
take it even just
for parts.

Sherry

Old May 21st 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I may have what you need if you want to get it going
Sherry. E mail me your address.
TAria

Old May 21st 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
elspeth

Has the motor been replaced to run on US current? If not, you will need a
current converter (or a new motor). Elizabeth in Spring, Texas
oups.com...

Old May 21st 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On May 20, 8:18 pm, "elspeth" wrote:
Has the motor been replaced to run on US current? If not, you will need a
current converter (or a new motor). Elizabeth in Spring, Texas"Sherry"

Oh, dear. I did not know that. I plugged that sucker right in, so
apparently it is
wired for U.S. The motor really sounds good and smooth. Of course the
needle
just goes up and down, since there is no tension works on it.
But, good info. to have! Thank you.

Sherry

Old May 21st 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On May 20, 10:05 pm, IMS wrote:
Sherry, the 185 is a very simple but very sturdy straight stitcher (I
have one). Those tensioners are easy to find; even used. Maybe you have
a repair shop nearby that has a bin of old parts...?

-Irene

Irene, I'm re-thinking the my first impulse to find someone to give it
to for junk parts,
after having it set up in my sewing room. It is such a cute little
machine, in a nice
little walnut cabinet. It would be a shame not to at least try.
Sherry

Old May 21st 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marsha

Sherry,

Your little green machine has a really sweet straight stitch. Of
course that is all it does, so it does it the best. They are cute
litte machines. I think it would be worth repairing the tension
assembly. It is not hard, especially with a diagram.

JMHO,

Marsha in nw, Ohio

Old May 23rd 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On 20 May 2007 21:05:56 -0700, Sherry wrote:

On May 20, 10:05 pm, IMS wrote:
Sherry, the 185 is a very simple but very sturdy straight stitcher (I
have one). Those tensioners are easy to find; even used. Maybe you have
a repair shop nearby that has a bin of old parts...?

-Irene

Irene, I'm re-thinking the my first impulse to find someone to give it
to for junk parts,
after having it set up in my sewing room. It is such a cute little
machine, in a nice
little walnut cabinet. It would be a shame not to at least try.
Sherry

Good. It is worth the repair. I looked high and low until I found
one. I learned to sew on Mom's 185 and it does such a nice stitch
that I had to find one for myself. Both of ours are portables and
we'd give an eye to have them in cabinets.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old May 23rd 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Sherry, Walnut cabinets are special. If you just
cannot get this SM to run, you might consider keeping
the cabinet for another SM.
PAT in VA/USA

Singer 306 machine frood Quilting 9 September 9th 06 08:59 AM
Singer 51W industrial sewing machine. adirondack Marketplace 0 June 27th 06 01:26 AM
Singer sewing machine >{daZza} Sewing 2 March 14th 06 07:44 AM
Threading Singer Sewing Machine WAH Sewing 6 September 5th 03 04:41 PM
Need help with Singer 416 sewing machine L. Kelly Sewing 4 July 2nd 03 03:32 AM