christmas countdown calendar ( advent calendar)

Old December 14th 05, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default christmas countdown calendar ( advent calendar)

I watched an episode of Simply Quilts with the "Can't wait 'Til
Christmas Calendar" I missed a couple of things about it, so I went to
the hgtv website. They have scanned copies of the instructions minus a
few details. Mainly the only detail I was looking for.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_occasion...l#moreprojects

Does anyone have the book Simple Fabric Folding for Christmas? I'd
like to know the directions for the simple pockets on page 11. I
thought that they showed sewing two sides of the square, but scans on
the website seem to indicate that you sew a partial seam and make a
snip in the seam allowance.

Also, has anyone else made any kind of countdown calendar that would be
nice to make. This is a major goal of mine. My son has a really hard
time waiting, and would get a lot of enjoyment out of this. I thought
I would get 25 miniature ornaments for the pockets and have the kids
put them on a small tree.

I'd love to see other ideas for a simple countdown (advent) calendar.

Carol in TX
Need therapy? Make a quilt!

Old December 14th 05, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I can't help with the detail Carol but you have reminded me of
a Christmas tradition I miss. Mom always bought the kids an
advent calendar. Usually the Hallmark kind but I think one
year there were chocolates behind the doors. We always looked
forward to the calendars. I saved them all somewhere.

This would make a great gift for some of the family youngsters.
I'd appreciate any quilty advent calendars too.
Taria

Old December 14th 05, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I saw one that was a felt Christmas tree with ribbons on it to which
you could tie a lifesaver or other candy.

Old December 14th 05, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I cheated and made up fabric panels. Equilter has some. I think Hancocks
does too. They should be pretty common in fabric stores this time of year.
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

oups.com...

Old December 14th 05, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My Mom made a simple one for my kids by simply using some pretty Christmas
fabric, and sewing on 24 jingle bells far enough apart to hang mini
ornaments on each bell, from the first to the twenty-fourth. It is simple
and the kids love it.
I have three teenagers that still hound me to get that thing up NOW and get
it going!
They each have a small tin that I put 24 chocolates into, and another tin
holds the ornaments.
It is on a wooden dowel with pretty ribbon and lace and it hangs on the
wall.

~KK in BC~ who will scan a picture of it when she gets some more time.

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.

Old December 14th 05, 06:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I don't know about simple, but there are several cross stitch advent
calendars out there. I have several in my stash, one of which, by Lorri
Birmingham is on my definitely to do list (as soon as I can get my
fingers back to cross stitch and away from patchwork/quilting!).
In my quilting class several of the ladies are making a quilted advent
calendar using different contrasting fabrics and a vertical pocket for
each day, to put a lollipop in.

Claudia

Old December 14th 05, 12:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We got one of those this year! and it is wonderful, we are all having
fun with it - "Ok, who's turn is it to open today?!?!?" It's by
Cadbury and the chocolate is YUMMY!

thank you my RCTQ friend!
Noel,
Tina

Old December 14th 05, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I did 24 applique squares using felt mainly then put a sashing between
each square. I then made this into a quilt - just quilting around the
squares. I then added doors with the numbers on they fasten using
snowflake buttons and loops of gold cord.

Sarah
Old December 14th 05, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We do the paper advent calendars - open a little door.. kind of thing, but
we also make paper chains. Each child gets one, and each night before bed,
they tear a link off the chain. I think it really helps them visualize how
much longer until Christmas. Plus, it's a fun activity and helps to decorate
their rooms for the holiday. The girls' room is quite festive with 3 chains
in there!

I even rotary cut the strips of construction paper for it - using the cutter
I have reserved for paper, of course!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old December 14th 05, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article .com,
"extremevalues" wrote:

I watched an episode of Simply Quilts with the "Can't wait 'Til
Christmas Calendar" I missed a couple of things about it, so I went to
the hgtv website. They have scanned copies of the instructions minus a
few details. Mainly the only detail I was looking for.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_occasion...270_4284034,00
.html#moreprojects

Does anyone have the book Simple Fabric Folding for Christmas? I'd
like to know the directions for the simple pockets on page 11. I
thought that they showed sewing two sides of the square, but scans on
the website seem to indicate that you sew a partial seam and make a
snip in the seam allowance.

I don't see anything on the HGTV website instructions that say to do a
partial seam and snip.

I don't have the book, but I have the episode TiVo'd (wow, a new word
like googled ;-)) Here are the pocket instructions from the show.

Take two 3 1/2 inch squares of the pocket fabric. Place them right sides
together. Sew 1/4 inch from the edge on two adjacent sides. Cut across
the point to reduce bulk in the corner. Turn right side out and press.

From there, you go to the instructions labeled "TOP" on the webpage.
There you put the pocket onto the background square and baste the raw
edges.

Pin the pocket out of the way when assembling the blocks into rows.

hope this helps.
marcella

OT - the 12 cats of Christmas Kandice Seeber Beads 6 December 16th 04 03:31 PM
eQuilter Hand Dye Event, Christmas & Halloween Paul Rubin Marketplace 0 May 18th 04 08:58 PM
OT - A Dog's Christmas Promises LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 5 December 24th 03 04:14 AM
Merry Christmas Cats spampot Sewing 0 December 21st 03 10:52 PM
advent calendar Sarah Dixon Quilting 5 September 9th 03 08:43 PM