Razzle dazzle thread

Old March 5th 04, 01:24 PM
Mauvice Murphy

Default Razzle dazzle thread

A friend forwarded this link to me about a new thread for bobbin work called
Razzle Dazzle(don't often get to use your pinky to double the zz's
twice!8-)), thought some of you would be interested. I am fascinated with
bobbin work but have not been adventurous enough to try it.
Any insights?

--
Mauvice in Central WI USA
remove no spam to reply

Old March 5th 04, 03:09 PM
Julia in MN

Bobbin work is especially good with some decorative threads. Some of
them are too heavy to use on top and others simply work better in the
bobbin. I took a class on quilting with decorative threads once and
played with it then. I did use the technique on a quilt recently. I had
a kaleidoscope that I had done the stitch in the ditch around the stars
and wanted to free-motion quilt a pattern in the stars. Because the
backing was easier to mark than the front, I marked my design on the
back and quilted from the back. I used regular cotton sewing thread,
though, not any decorative threads. It worked quite well. I don't have a
picture of the completed quilt, but this is the top
http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/FloralStripeSNW.JPG

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old March 5th 04, 03:29 PM
Kathy Applebaum

You know, I'm trying *very* hard to keep my thread addiction under control,
and you're trying to make me relapse! Mmmmm, yummy.... LOL

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old March 5th 04, 05:04 PM
Julia Altshuler

There was something about this on Simply Quilts recently. (I get the
reruns, not the new shows.) It might have Ellen Anne Eddy. She
explained that the thread in the needle goes in and out of the fabric 50
times before it makes a stitch. The thread in the bobbin only shows up
once. So if you have a thread that's likely to fray, it makes sense to
wind it on a bobbin, turn your piece over and work from the bobbin side.

--Lia

Old March 5th 04, 05:33 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Just as a side note, the actual number of times the top thread goes into the
fabric depends on the stitch length, among other things. If you have a
delicate thread but don't want to do bobbin work for some reason, sometimes
a longer stitch length will help because it decreases the number of times
that thread is seesawing through the needle.

And I'll pass on a couple of tricks for "marking" your quilt for bobbin
work. One is to do all the non-bobbin work quilting first, which will have
the effect of marking the back side of your quilt. (If it's not quilted, it
must need the bobbin work! LOL) Another thing I've done (with much success)
is to sew markings with water soluble thread. When I turn the quilt over,
the areas to quilt are very visible. When I'm done, I spritz the quilt down
heavily to block it anyway, so the water soluble thread disappears. (Even
the needle holes disappear in the blocking process).

Old March 5th 04, 06:35 PM
Kathy in CA

QUESTION: bobbin work--I am assuming that you put the fancy thread in the
bobbin but sew on the quilt back so the fancy thread is on the quilt top??
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old March 5th 04, 07:57 PM
Bonnie Patterson

Yes, that's right.

Old March 6th 04, 03:35 AM
Diane Carter

I took a class from Ricky Tims last year on curved piecing and he was a
wonderful teacher. If you ever get an opportunity to take a class with him
be sure to do so. He has a interesting web site and newsletter if you are
interested. Diane

wrote:

QUESTION: bobbin work--I am assuming that you put the fancy thread in the
bobbin but sew on the quilt back so the fancy thread is on the quilt

top??

FS sewing embroidery,crochet,cross stich thread 80% off Great Deals Marketplace 0 January 20th 05 12:58 PM
NEWEmbroidery thread sewing thread for sale with pictures check it out Sewing & Embroidery Deals Marketplace 0 December 10th 04 06:21 PM
rayon thread Roberta Zollner Quilting 0 February 20th 04 11:02 AM
Quilting Thread question Carol Wolfe Quilting 9 July 15th 03 05:20 AM
how do I size thread? Jean Peach Needlework 1 July 11th 03 05:30 PM