OT what do I have?

Old February 28th 04, 03:48 AM
Polly Esther

Default OT what do I have?

I bought a stack of white linen beautiful hemstitched cloths. They measure
about 24" square. They were at a salvage store and I thought I could cover
the monogram on them with something, add some lace and send them to one of
the preemie crisis centers. They would be good for wee receiving blankets or
burial wraps - whatever the center needs them for.
They've been washed 4 times - quite roughly on the last run - and I
still fail to get the crisp out of them. They feel smooth but very starched.
Maybe I need to hand them to the butler to polish the crystal - but he
hasn't been here in a long time. My question really isn't "what do I have?".
I think it's more like do you have any idea how to make them soft? Polly

Old February 28th 04, 04:07 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Sounds like some kind of napkins to me. They may not go soft till they are
umpty-ump years old. Grandma's good damask tablecloth and napkins are still
a bit stiff, even after all these years.

Of course, there may be other answers that are closer to the mark...... ;-)

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

hlink.net...

Old February 28th 04, 08:15 AM
Patti

Hullo Polly
Sounds like really good quality table napkins (like cruise liners).
Would they boil do you think? - perhaps you could try one. I have some
hankies that are the same - washing makes no difference. I plan to try
boiling them, just to see if that will work. First one to do it, please
report back!!
..
In article k.net,
Polly Esther writes
I bought a stack of white linen beautiful hemstitched cloths. They measure
about 24" square. They were at a salvage store and I thought I could cover
the monogram on them with something, add some lace and send them to one of
the preemie crisis centers. They would be good for wee receiving blankets or
burial wraps - whatever the center needs them for.
They've been washed 4 times - quite roughly on the last run - and I
still fail to get the crisp out of them. They feel smooth but very starched.
Maybe I need to hand them to the butler to polish the crystal - but he
hasn't been here in a long time. My question really isn't "what do I have?".
I think it's more like do you have any idea how to make them soft? Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 28th 04, 11:36 AM
Roberta Zollner

My MIL gave me a set of napkins like this. These are no-fooling-around
dinner napkins that will get you through a 6-course meal in a really good
restaurant. I use mine when serving roast goose with all the trimmings. Want
to sell them to me? You might need to wash them another 150 times before
they soften up.
Roberta in D

Old February 28th 04, 12:58 PM
lloer

[...]

Besides using fabric conditioner, I've notice that cotton stuff is softer if
its tumble dried rather than air-dried. But it needs to be done each time
its washed so that might not work.

It does sound like they're napkins, I love crisp linen napkins and
tablecloths...

Emma

Old February 28th 04, 01:41 PM
Polly Esther

Roberta, I'd be glad to just send them to you but you wouldn't have much use
for them. Each of them has a mangled monogram. I suspect they went to the
salvage store from a beginner monogrammer at an extremely fine linens
retailer. There were also some huge pillow shams (with the monogram
disaster) that I turned into sweet little quilts. Our preacher was laughing
this week about some of us being eagles and some being buzzards. I'm in the
buzzard category. How I do love a great bargain. Polly

Old February 28th 04, 01:46 PM
Polly Esther

I love crisp table linens but these things give a new definition to "crisp".
I offered them to DH to dry windshields and mirrors. Got rejected. He says
they would scratch. They're in the dryer now after a good soak in fabric
softener. If that fails, I just might try boiling the rascals. Polly

Old February 28th 04, 02:40 PM
Kate T.

Polly:

Is it possible that you have linens made from Flax.

Kate T.

Old February 28th 04, 05:23 PM
Pati Cook

Polly, you can remove the mangled monograms. Use a moustache trimmer (electric
type), turn it backwards, and "shave" the wrong side of the embroidery. Then
just take the threads off the front.
You can also just slip the tips of very pointed scissors under the stitches on
one side and snip and remove. Not fast, but not that difficult either.
As to softening, linen.......... good luck. There is a reason it was used for
high end table linens, and such. It doesn't soften easily.
But you are sooooo lucky to find such a good deal. The fabric might be usable
as something else, like curtain valences, or...... use the napkins as
napkins.

Pati, in Phx